• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: build you own computer?

Share/Bookmark

build your own computer?

I'm considering buying components and doing the build myself, with some tech help if necessary. I priced out most of the parts needed thru Tiger Direct and would appreciate some comments.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/cgi-bin/shoppingcart.asp
    Still need the usb,firewire,OS,audio card, etc.

Re: build you own computer?

I would recommend buying parts from newegg.com rather than Tiger Direct. NewEgg in general has better prices and has great customer service. It usually only takes 2-3 days to receive my order shipped from CA to Phoenix, AZ area.

BTW, you'll need to post what the parts are that you are using as the shopping cart will not show others what you have ordered. It's your own shopping cart saved as a cookie on your machine.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I didn't know that about shopping carts. I started looking at computers from Dell and others and actually will probably go that way.

I'm not a big fan of computers built by Dell, HP, Compaq. If you don't want to build your own machine, then you may want to look into DAW machines made by builders that specialize in music machines. They don't install the unnessary garbage that the mainstream builders like Dell do. Plus, they'll use better quality components. I've had large problems with certain Dell machines failing at work. They put some cheap motherboards in a bunch of their models and they have been failing left and right. Had 6 dead machines in one day! I support training rooms at Intel and they are moving away from Dells!

Jim

Definitely build your own. It's just about the best thing you can do to learn exactly how a computer works, it's satisfying to see somthing so complex that you assembled yourself, it's easier than most people think (much easier!), and it will save you a ton of money. Playing it safe and going with a Dell will leave you with a smaller wallet and no satisfaction (but some good customer care, if you care about that).

Thanks for the advise Jim and Muftobration. Just got GVI and getting Altiverb next month so I'll be on my P4 for a while. I will definately take another look at building it myself though.
    Dave M.

I've been wanting to build one from scratch for a long time, but I usually get a stripped down computer set up with a case, motherboard, and power source and sometimes a CPU. Then I add the drives, ram, video and audio cards, operating system and sometimes the CPU and fan.

When you purchase the components separately is there any soldering required?

I think the part that intimidates me the most is getting the motherboard to sit right in the case and hooking up the power supply to it. Does it snap in? How do you make sure the mobo fits in the case?

Anyone care to comment on my reservations? I'd like to hear about any pitfalls involved in this process.

I don't mind wasting a little time and money if I can get something up and running from scratch.

Marko

Marco,

ATX motherboards fit ATX cases so that's really all you need to know. No soldering involved.
    One thing I usually so when mounting the motherboard is use plastic tape aroung the standoffs so that there's no chance of grounding issues.

Mounting the CPU is real easy. Applying the thermal grease is an artform.
    Search google........ "Arctic Silver" instructions.

Powersupply is also very easy. Use plastic cable ties to tie off the excess.

Build up a minimum rig and then test your ram with memtest.
    Everything from there should be something you've already done.

I've been wanting to build my own computer also ....One of the things that intimidated me was attaching the CPU .... I was reading the instructions for the Arctic Silver grease .....Is that all the grease you really need ?....Does that small amount really hold the CPU properly ? ....Somehow I imagined more grease than that being applied ...What happens if you apply too much ? ...Thanks, Jim

Hi synthnut,
    You don't need any grease to attach the CPU to the motherboard. It is "clipped" to the MoBo by a dedicated latch. It is pretty easy to install.

The "grease" is usually used between the CPU and the heatsink, to allow better heat dissipation. If you buy a retail Intel CPU, it comes with is own heatsink and fan, and the grease is already on the heatsink, so you just have to fix it on the CPU. Again it is pretty heasy to do.

Usually, you won't need to buy any extra grease unless you buy a high performance heatsink/fan and want to maximise heat dissipation.

Nic
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Go Back to forum