• Register
  • Help

Topic: SATA drive and W2K problem

Share/Bookmark

SATA drive and W2K problem

I can't get my DAW to recognize a new 500 gig Seagate SATA drive. I already have a 200 gig SATA drive in this computer and a 300 gig IDE drive in addition to the 40 gig C: drive for my programs. These work fine. I'm using W2k, service pack 3 installed.

I swapped the cables of the SATA drives and each time the new one does not get recognized in the appropriate place in the BIOS. The mobo (Intel D865GBF) seems fine and I don't have any problems with the computer. It seems that the mobo is not detecting the SATA drive

Am I missing something obvious here? I've installed a few SATA drives before, but this one has me stymied.

ANY suggestions?

Marko

Re: SATA drive and W2K problem

If it is not being recognized in BIOs then you don't have to worry about the fact that the machine runs Win2k, as the OS is not accessed until after POST. The fact that it is never recognized means pretty clearly to me that the drive is defective. This literally just happened to me with my brother's new computer. He got a Raptor that was not being detected by BIOS, so we did an RMA with newegg and they sent us back another of the same drive - this time, working. I'm sure enough of your problem that I feel safe telling you you should bring it back to where you got it and ask for an exchange. The drive is defective.

I'm pretty sure that SATA-II is backward compatible with SATA, but that might be worth looking into. It's possible that the new drive is SATA-II, and your mobo isn't compatible with it. You might check for a BIOS update.

BTW, the recent ASUS mobos are simpler than ever to flash to a new BIOS. Just copy the files to a USB memory device, plug in the memory and power up the mobo. No floppy drive needed.

Best of luck...

Thanks Muftobration. That's precisely the case here. It turned out to be a bad drive. It's the first hard drive I purchased that failed and I sent it back and received a new one promptly. The mobo registered the new one immediately.

Thanks Jon. I'll have to see if my new computer has that capacity.

By the way, each SATA drive I received had a pin on the back just like the pins used to set an IDE drive to master or slave. What's the purpose of this on a SATA drive?

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    By the way, each SATA drive I received had a pin on the back just like the pins used to set an IDE drive to master or slave. What's the purpose of this on a SATA drive?
    I have no idea. It's not necessary for standard SATA operation. Is there anything in the manual? There might be a special function like queuing enable/disable or low-noise/low-power mode. Maybe you could e-mail customer support, if the manual doesn't describe it.

Maybe its in case you wanted to connect your SATA drive to an IDE interface (eg if you had an older MOBO)?

http://www.cooldrives.com/satoidecofor.html

Go Back to forum