• Register
  • Help

Topic: What could possibly be wrong?!

Share/Bookmark

What could possibly be wrong?!

I'm going slightly insane at this point.

Before I start, I'm running a Macbook Pro with OSX Leopard, a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, and 2 Gb of RAM.

The only way to connect Finale 2006 and Kontakt Player 2 is through inter-application ports. On my Windows partition, I can get Finale 2006 and GPO KP2 to communicate just fine through an application called Midi-Yoke. On the Mac side, things are more trouble. I've tried everything I can think of. I've enabled Finale's inter-application ports, I've used an application called Midipipe, another one called MIDI Patchbay, and now I've even tried to use Apple's own IAC drivers to no avail.

What is the issue?

Finale 2006, I've gone into the MIDI Setup menu, and selected IAC Buses 1 through 4 as the first four outputs, enough to use GPO KP2 to its full potential. Then, in GPO KP2, I have turned on the inputs from IAC Buses 1 through 4, and selected them for the inputs for my instruments. Both applications, Finale 2006 and GPO KP2 can see the ports, but it does not work. GPO KP2 is silent, and Finale continues to play MIDI notes from its Softsynth library, which it is not supposed to do.

What could I have overlooked?

Re: What could possibly be wrong?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli
    I'm going slightly insane at this point.

Before I start, I'm running a Macbook Pro with OSX Leopard, a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor, and 2 Gb of RAM.

The only way to connect Finale 2006 and Kontakt Player 2 is through inter-application ports. On my Windows partition, I can get Finale 2006 and GPO KP2 to communicate just fine through an application called Midi-Yoke. On the Mac side, things are more trouble. I've tried everything I can think of. I've enabled Finale's inter-application ports, I've used an application called Midipipe, another one called MIDI Patchbay, and now I've even tried to use Apple's own IAC drivers to no avail.

What is the issue?

Finale 2006, I've gone into the MIDI Setup menu, and selected IAC Buses 1 through 4 as the first four outputs, enough to use GPO KP2 to its full potential. Then, in GPO KP2, I have turned on the inputs from IAC Buses 1 through 4, and selected them for the inputs for my instruments. Both applications, Finale 2006 and GPO KP2 can see the ports, but it does not work. GPO KP2 is silent, and Finale continues to play MIDI notes from its Softsynth library, which it is not supposed to do.

What could I have overlooked?
    One thing I would suggest is this: In Finale, under the MIDI menu, for Internal Speaker Playback - This MUST be turned to the OFF setting, or else Finale will still play through Softsynth. And KP2 will not sound at all.

Also - Finale has a very nasty habit of remembering your latest MIDI settings, but....at least in my case, it NEVER sees the MIDI devices hooked up or the assigned ports once I've restarted - they are there - but in ITALICS - if that is the case - you need to RESELECT the non-italicized ones in the selection process.

I am not certain, but 2006 - I know that was the first release of Finale that had INTEGRATED VST (Win) and AU (Mac) support.

So, you really ought to be able to host KP2 from WITHIN Finale.

It has been a while since I have seen the older versions, but I believe that "play Finale through Audio Units" or something similar has to be checked. And then you go into "Audio Units setup" and do the selection from there. If Finale is not seeing your KP2 libraries, you need to download and install the latest KP2 versions of those libraries from NI.

I am using Finale 2007 and 2008. I know the menus have been changed around, so I cannot be 100% certain about the exact wording in the menus.

While it is possible to communicate using the IAC ports, I would first try to host within Finale itself. If that doesn't work, I am not certain - I am not certain MakeMusic! has an entirely OSX Leopard-comaptible update or if NI is also up to date with OSX Leopard.

As a side note:
    I won't switch to Leopard till the second or third major update for it. And even then, only when I am 100% convinced that the makers of my favorite apps have at least 1 or 2 Leopard-compatible releases of updates. Right now, OSX Tiger works - and works well. I want Leopard, but not enough to throw my whole workflow out of whack for a few weeks/months till vendors catch up.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Another thing - I am not certain of the following so please double-check, Finale 2006 may not be entirely Leopard compatible. You might want to do some looking into it, but it might not even be Universal Binary. Are you are running Finale under Rosetta? That will affect your speed and CPU demands when runnning Finale. Not sure that has anything to do with your sound issues, but thought I might bring that up.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    One thing I would suggest is this: In Finale, under the MIDI menu, for Internal Speaker Playback - This MUST be turned to the OFF setting, or else Finale will still play through Softsynth. And KP2 will not sound at all.
    HAH! That did it, thank you so much! I've never had to do that on Windows using almost the same setup, so I never really thought to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    I am not certain, but 2006 - I know that was the first release of Finale that had INTEGRATED VST (Win) and AU (Mac) support.

So, you really ought to be able to host KP2 from WITHIN Finale.
    I wish I could, but as I found out from Make Music's support page, Finale 2006 is not compatible and does not integrate with the GPO versions that run out of the Kontakt 2 player, so this is my only way of doing it.

I don't want to upgrade just yet, or rather, I don't see the need for what I am doing. I plan to upgrade to Finale 2009 when it is released.

Thanks again for the help! God bless!

Go Back to forum