• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: La Reine De La Mer

Share/Bookmark

La Reine De La Mer

The end of a Saga.
    I first heard this piece on a CD of the ALLANTOWN Band in 1990.
    I found the music at the old Sou†hern Music store and discovered there was no score. Sousa wrote this in 1886 when the 1st Trumpet part served as a score.
    At that time I was using FINALE 1990 on a early Apple computer. I learned Finale and this piece at the same time. For the next 17 years I have worked on this piece up to the point where I would run out of memory. I would put it away ever hopeful that my next Mac could do it.
    Finally, with FINALE O7 and a Macintel I have finished the piece using
    MCB.
    In the playback I reduced low brass to 20 on the mixer and they're still too loud.
    For Randy etal, maybe you can offer suggestions that work using only a computer.
    P.S. I have made a new Finale file & redone the instruments using a mix of GPI, JAZZ & CMB.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4665280&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 01-07-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: CHANGE AUDIO

Re: La Reine De La Mer

Quote Originally Posted by garymosse
    The end of a Saga.
    I first heard this piece on a CD of the ALLANTOWN Band in 1990.
    I found the music at the old Sou†hern Music store and discovered there was no score. Sousa wrote this in 1886 when the 1st Trumpet part served as a score.
    At that time I was using FINALE 1990 on a early Apple computer. I learned Finale and this piece at the same time. For the next 17 years I have worked on this piece up to the point where I would run out of memory. I would put it away ever hopeful that my next Mac could do it.
    Finally, with FINALE O7 and a Macintel I have finished the piece using
    MCB.
    In the playback I reduced low brass to 20 on the mixer and they're still too loud.
    For Randy etal, maybe you can offer suggestions that work using only a computer.

Gary

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4665280&q=hi
    Hi Gary!

Nice Viennese feeling in your waltzes

Saw pictures and scenes from a fun fair somewhere in Europe maybe,
    It was very pleasant, me and my wife listened with enthusiasm!

Fredrik

Hi, Gary

AH, so this has been a pet project of long standing. Very special to you, and I can see why - It's a magical piece, evoking the end of an era as you said.

From your text I take it that you mean the challenge has been to play such a full orchestration in real time without your computer choking. And now with your current computer, you're able to do just that - This is what you meant? If so - well, it's great to be able to play such a large arrangement in real time. But I'm not sure what you were asking for in the way of help--?

--For myself, I've never been able to play entire pieces in real time. I have to render sections to audio, archive the original MIDI tracks, and move on to the next section - so that as I go along, I'm working mostly with audio. But you're working in Finale, which is very different from working in Sonar.

I like this music very much. My only comment is I think a repeat from last time, that it's overly perfect, ala inserted notes that haven't had Finale's Human Playback applied - hence the merry-go-round, calliope, organ, wind-up nature of the sound. It's pleasant, but not terribly realistic. I'm not sure how important that is for you.

Randy B.

Well worth a listen. Thanks for sharing your "saga"!

Owen

Thanks for listening, Fredrik.
    Sousa seems to have seen himself as a Waltz composer.
    This has a lot of different themes which tend to buffet the listener bacck & forth.
    Gary

Thanks for listening, Owen.
    After the often painful transfer of dat from partss to computer, and the balance solutions, it's good to have someone express appreciation.

There were 363 measures of 2/4 and 3/4 in this piece.
    Gary

Hi Gary,
    I didnt realise Sousa wrote such wonderfull waltzes!
    I can see why you spend so much time on this.
    A wonderfull piece Gary!

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Thanks for listening, Dan.
    One of the attributes of a great march is that you can sing along with it even if you've never heard it.
    I think waltzes fall into the same catagory.
    Gary

Gary

I know how it feels to have completed a long project, yet not as long as this.

You have every right to be proud and are to be congratulated.

Well done

Ron

Thanks for listening, Ron.
    Sometimes you have to let go for awile. I still hear balance problems and even a few wrong notes. Truth is that it will never
    be perfect. HOW UN-COMPUTER-ISH.
    GARY

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast