• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quiet Times NO.2

Share/Bookmark

Quiet Times NO.2

Quiet Times No.2 is sort of an observation or an explanation of Quiet Times which I posted last winter so I'll post both files just in case you also want to listen to the original Quiet Times. I think there is a connection between them.

The third section in Quiet Times No. 2 will sound a little unpleasant and not very musical.

Here is Quiet Times.

http://www.box.net/shared/2i618958go

And here is Quiet Times No.2

http://www.box.net/shared/d3wddu4g0o
    Last edited by fastlane; 01-08-2008 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Update of file

Re: Quiet Times NO.2

Phil! I always find you unpredictable - I'm never sure of what you might be presenting, and so I'm always curious.

This still manages to be the Most unpredictable - A darker side of Fast Lane coming out after the piece has been heard in whole.

Very pleasant first and second sections - I was looking forward to the "unpleasant and not very musical part"--really had my curiosity up.

Eerie!--Effectively so--

And then I thought it was over, looked at the player and saw there was more time - so waited--and waited--A Record breaking pause there, and then my favorite section came. I loved the simple arrangement of the solo piano part which followed the psychotic break.

And then the final wrap up was feeling interestingly ironic - with an abrupt end which made me look at the title again, Quiet Times - yes, definitely a title to not be taken literally. This is an exercise in contrasts and made for a Very interesting listen.

Randy B.

Lots to keep an ear interested in this piece. (Did I hear a frog throughout the second section??!!? I really need to get better headphones.)

I live for unpleasant and not very musical. Atonal, yes. Unmusical, no. You painted a vivid picture for me - maybe of my time living in London. Fighting through hectic streets and then making it home to crash into an armchair to recover before getting up and enjoying my environment.

Well done!
    Owen

Phil

I guess I know the part that is not supposed to be musical, however I must disagree. It may not be the "typical" music, but it is still very effective writing.

That section for some reason dropped me down into the middle of Picadilly Circus during rush hour.

I listened to the second one first and then came back to the original. I must say each is good in their own way, but I much prefer the 2nd. The ending sounds more like a beginning of a new adventure.

Actually, this entire piece sounds like a series of adventures and I enjoyed it a lot.

Well done

Ron

I agree, this 2nd piece is a bit pleasant chaotic. I am glad you've found the windmachine also. And why not? I needed some time to get used to the overal musical idea. Nice doing!

Raymond

Randy(rbowser)

Yeah, there is the wind machine going where it sounds like silence and you can hear it if you turn it up a little. I messed with that effect for the longest time in audio because I was trying to get a softer wind sound but it's really made for loud storm music. Any louder and it really starts howling!

I'll just say I was inspired by John Cage.

I finished the last part and I was already thinking about another section but after I played it I felt it was the end. It was kind of a weird, happy feeling.

Thanks for the listen and nice post.

englishgent

I think what you refer to as a frog was a heavy metal guitar sample played very low on the keyboard.

I was afraid maybe I had crossed over the line on atonal part but I guess not.

Whew!

I'm happy and relieved you liked it.

Ron

We'll, I've been listening to lots of atonal music on this forum so I thought it was time to dish a little out. A least give it a good try.

Piccadilly Circus during rush hour, huh. Or how about a large daycare center at rush hour. Now there is a real zoo!

I'm with you about which of the two I like more.

I think you nailed it about the ending Ron.

Thanks much.

Raymond

I spotted the wind machine and thought it would be fun to use. It's as real beast to control though.

Almost time enough to go grab another cup of coffee or tea on that pause.

Thank you for the encouraging words.

Phil

Your music is so charming and very intriguing. The element of complete surprise makes it fascinating to listen to. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the surprises Louis.

Thanks for listening.

Dang. I listened to this three times, Phil. There's
    something going on here, something in the thinking
    behind it, that's got me intrigued -- and like the
    last piece of yours I commented on, it's got me
    fascinated because I cannot elucidate it.

There's some manner of subterranean sense to this,
    a train of narrative taking place on some level that's
    not quite conscious or readily definable in words...
    yet highly effective in the impression it leaves on
    you emotionally across the range of the sections.

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Dang. I listened to this three times, Phil. There's
    something going on here, something in the thinking
    behind it, that's got me intrigued -- and like the
    last piece of yours I commented on, it's got me
    fascinated because I cannot elucidate it.

There's some manner of subterranean sense to this,
    a train of narrative taking place on some level that's
    not quite conscious or readily definable in words...
    yet highly effective in the impression it leaves on
    you emotionally across the range of the sections.

Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Your right that it's a different approach to composing.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing but it seems to be sort of dream like.

Maybe it's because this is the only way I can extend my ideas beyond a verse-chorus-bridge structure, at least for now.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and ideas. I'll see where my music leads me.

Phil

Go Back to forum