• Register
  • Help

Topic: sample artifacts

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy sample artifacts

Hi - I'm using GPO. It seems to be working well, with the one exception that there are audio artifacts appearing as the tones sound, and as a kind of 'tail' at the end of notes. It's a kind of 'whooshy' sound.
    I'd be very grateful for any ideas as to what could be causing this.
    Cheers...

Re: sample artifacts

Could it be the background noise that becomes more apparent at quiet tails if the original samples were compressed?

Do you have multiple copies of the same instrument playing at exactly the same time? It might be phasing.

If not, can you post an audio example? That would help greatly.

Are you monitoring over the onboard soundchip of your motherboard? I get the same artefacts when I'm working with earphones on my laptop.

Is it more noticeable on some instruments than on others?

I often think the strings sometimes sound like they have too much bow noise on them. Perhaps the bow scrape was added separately. It seems to disappear in a mix though.

The other possibility is that I think some/most of the WAVs in GPO are steganographised and I think that's audible to some people. It has ruined the sound of many sample libraries (eg Zero-Gs).

Can you post an MP3?

The bow noise in the GPO strings is natural.

I don't hear these artifacts on my system and don't have any whooshing sounds on the ends of samples. What kind of system are you using? Soundcard?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by John Davey
    Hi - I'm using GPO. It seems to be working well, with the one exception that there are audio artifacts appearing as the tones sound, and as a kind of 'tail' at the end of notes. It's a kind of 'whooshy' sound.
    I'd be very grateful for any ideas as to what could be causing this.
    Cheers...
    Hi John,

This can be due to a number of factors. Over the past four years, a "wooshy" sound has not been reported, so I am wondering if if it extraneous. Can you tell us more about your system, sound card, any effects you are using (like compression or reverb), as well as buffer settings on your sound card. We'll try to get to the bottom of this.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Thanks so much for all the responses.
    I now suspect the noise may be due to the fact that I'm currently just using the audio straight through the motherboard - this machine is quite new, and is mainly set up for digital video editing.
    I'm going to try using the GPO sounds via a network, on an older machine which is more conventionally set up for MIDI (and has an SB 'Live' card).
    Is the 'GPO Remote' applet the easiest way to do this?
    Thanks again.
    John

John,

I suppose you are searching at the wrong end.

First, there is an automated fade out at the end of the samples, and you can adjust it with the "length" parameter. But of course this is only for the lazy ones because an instrumentalist will play the note end by reducing the bow speed or breath. What you need is to shape the note ends individually with your mod wheel or by notated hairpins, if possible. This is especially valid for the strings.

Then the samples are recorded close and dry, so you need to add some reverb to emulate room, and (second step sometimes) also to roll off higher frequencies to emulate distance. The reverb will also add a decay that masks the note ends. However it will always sound better if you have an individually formed note end under the reverb carpet.

Hope this helps
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Go Back to forum