• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 5 or sequencers?

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 5 or sequencers?

I"m looking for a program that would allow me to play VST instruments.
    Actaully i mainly use sibelius to type in score first before using VST instruments to play.

I have previously tried using GPO and garritan studio with sibelius 4, but now i have purchased some sample library other than Garritan which would not work with garritan studio.

Should i be getting Sibelius 5 since it is VST capable and i can load different sample library althogether? Or shall i stick with sequencer like Sonar (but i have to extract the score into midi file and edit it there)

Does Sibelius 5 enable recording of everything? For example, if i load some VST instruments plus using sibelius sounds, can i use Sibelius to record everything that i hear?

Re: Sibelius 5 or sequencers?

IMO current sequencing programs and notation programs excel at different things. They do 2 different jobs.

Sibelius 5 has made improvements in its playback. It will play any VST/AU instrument, but it is still very mechanical. It takes some extra effort to playback articulation switches and hairpins. For me, it is a great notation program with playback features that enable me to "check the parts" and hear an approximations of what the music sounds like. But I would hardly want to give a recording directly from it to a client.

Sequencers are capable of great sounding performances - in the right hands. But notation features are generally minimal.

That is the long explanation for, "It depends on what you want your final product to be." If you need to hear how the music sounds, Sibelius 5 is fine. If you are looking for "realism" in the performance you will still need a sequencer to adjust events.

Quote Originally Posted by ywwonglp
    I"m looking for a program that would allow me to play VST instruments.
    Actaully i mainly use sibelius to type in score first before using VST instruments to play.

I have previously tried using GPO and garritan studio with sibelius 4, but now i have purchased some sample library other than Garritan which would not work with garritan studio.

Should i be getting Sibelius 5 since it is VST capable and i can load different sample library althogether? Or shall i stick with sequencer like Sonar (but i have to extract the score into midi file and edit it there)

Does Sibelius 5 enable recording of everything? For example, if i load some VST instruments plus using sibelius sounds, can i use Sibelius to record everything that i hear?
    I have sib5 and yes it will record everything, unlike sib4. I am very happy with it, but I also bought GPO to go with it, as it does give you more options. Can yiou still get the good upgrade price?

I also bought Sonar Home studio XL. I am still in the process of learning how to use it, but as it looks so far, I really didn't need it. Sib5 will do just about all of the same stuff. You may end up entering some cc data to get the right sounds, but you do the same thing in a daw as well, it's just easier to do in a daw.

If you were happy with sib4, then you will like sib5 more.

Ron

ywnnglp (I hope I've spelled your name correctly) writes:

"Should I be getting Sibelius 5 since it is VST capable and i can load different sample library althogether? Or shall i stick with sequencer like Sonar (but i have to extract the score into midi file and edit it there)"

You might go to the chat-line at sibelius.com & look for a post called "Sibelius and GPO Playback-Ack!" That's my post & there's a lot of information that's drifted in having to do with maximizing what you can get out of Sibelius 5.1. The news is not all bad: Things are getting better as far as Sibelius triggering mod-wheel adjustments. It's still limited, and fancy results sometimes require fancy footwork. I agree with the fellow who posted above, summing up pretty succinctly what noatation programs can do that sequencing programs cannot and vice-versa. I am - when I can afford to be - in the underreported third camp: I write on Sibelius & then get real musicians. But the world of vistual instruments is evolving & so I - like a lot of people on this forum - am on the lookout for the best way to get a good result.

Go Back to forum