• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Once upon a time.....

Share/Bookmark

Once upon a time.....

I have been using GPO for many years but this is the first post here.

As a pianoteacher I have always found it hard to have students play together with others. There are not so much litterature for piano and orchestra on an easy level. Therefore I have made 2 concerts, the second last year, with students playing with a big orchestra. And that is for young students playing their first year and onward. To do such a project you need to make new arrangements of everything, taking in consideration the soloist skill but also those in the orchestra that also are mostly students. In the last year concert we had about 70 musicians and music from Beethoven to rock from the 80th.

It can be a shock for young beginners to play together with such a big orchestra and here GPO comes in. I made recordings of every song for the pianists to rehearse with. They got files with and without piano and different tempos. When they arrived for the first rehearsel they knew everything that happened in the orchestra and had no problem to play with them.

Everything is made in Finale (without HP), directly from the score and using Gpo Studio for the ease of record to file.

Here is one example from Morricones; Once upon a time in America.

http://www.slandrommusik.se/Ljudfile...20a%20time.mp3

Björn

Re: Once upon a time.....

Sounds wonderful good. What a great idea!! In the past we had vinyl records, the so called Music Minus One, with the score for orchestra and soloist for e.g. pianists, violin players, etc. I've seen all sorts of stuff. Not only classical music. I don't know if those recordings exist on CD, with the same quality. Congratulations with your project!!!

Raymond

Thanks Raymond,

Yes I remember those recordings. But as I remember it they were only in full tempo so it was really difficult to play along...or rather catch up.

Björn

Yes and that tapping of the conductor was very annoying.....
    This way I learned several pianoconcertos. Those good old days........

Raymond

Björn

This is a wonderful way to introduce yourself. It sounds great and I am sure your students will love to learn this way.

Well Done

Ron

Nice way to introduce yourself. This is a great idea to help students. The orchestra tracks you made sound great. Is this your arrangement or did the arrangement come from some place else? Nicely done.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for that, Björn

It's an excellent, educational use of GPO. And I'm sure the high quality of the recordings will be an inspiration to the students.

It's a far cry from the old vinyl "Music Minus One" that Raymond mentioned - so much more flexible, and for the instructor to have control over exactly the recording he/she wants - terrific.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Nice way to introduce yourself. This is a great idea to help students. The orchestra tracks you made sound great. Is this your arrangement or did the arrangement come from some place else? Nicely done.
    I do all arrangements myself or rearrangements since you want many pieces to sound as near the original as possible. But since you probably don´t have the same instruments in the orchestra you have to change things. In these cases I normally have a recording that I listen to and write down.

Björn

What a great idea, Björn! Bringing younger and less skilled
    players before the orchestra like this...

But, too, with a very lovely piece. It takes much thought
    and ability to work with modest resources; yet still bring
    forth wonderful music like this.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    What a great idea, Björn! Bringing younger and less skilled
    players before the orchestra like this...

But, too, with a very lovely piece. It takes much thought
    and ability to work with modest resources; yet still bring
    forth wonderful music like this.

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David for those kind words.

I have to add a thing and that is how important it is that you can use Garritans software together with a notation software, in my case Finale. A project like this that ended in 15 pieces and 1 hour concert, takes lot, lot, lot of time all the way from the beginning with planning to the end with training the students how to act in front of an audience. Therefore it´s essential that these files for training don´t take to much time to make. Making them at the same time when making the scores save you a lot of time.

Björn

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast