• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: "We Can Step Into Forever" vocal with scrolling video score - GPO - from "Dorian"

Share/Bookmark

"We Can Step Into Forever" vocal with scrolling video score - GPO - from "Dorian"

"We Can Step Into Forever"
    (click title for scrolling vocal score
    with vocal demo sung to GPO tracks)

Vocal MP3 file
    for those who have trouble making the vid play properly

Instrumental only
    the backing tracks (primarily GPO) for those who want to hear the arrangement without vocals

the story:

James Vane has been killed during Dorian's hunting party in the country, thanks to the intervention of Lily. Once alone, Dorian and Lily come to terms about their feelings of love for each other, and find refuge in one another. They realize they are two social outcasts who have nobody else in the world to turn to.

the song:

The Camtasia file is the same audio track as the MP3 - me singing both parts to the GPO backing tracks we'll be using in performance.

Since recording this scratch vocal demo, we've re-written the vocal lines, primarily switching lines so that Lily sings harmony and Dorian primarily sings the melody. The visible score is the new arrangement we'll use in the show. A few lyrics have been changed since the recording was done, and again the score is the current/final version.

This is the major "take-out" song from the show. It's the Broadway equivalent of a modern pop "power ballad."

One attraction of the instrumental version is that you can take a closer listen to the electric guitar lead which comes in towards the end. I'm happier with that el. guitar track than any other for the show. Throughout the track, Music Lab's Real Guitar is providing the acoustic guitar. All the rest of the instruments are GPO.

In the middle of last year, I posted an abbreviated version of this song as my first go with The Strad. The violin plays the main melody line in this version. Some of you may recall that posting. Here's that MP3 if you'd like to hear that:

Up next - the last "Dorian" post is the rather monolithic Grand Finale to "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray."

Randy B.

Re: "We Can Step Into Forever" vocal with scrolling video score - GPO - from "Dorian"

Randy, how did you have time to post this for us with your exciting week! Glad to hear it's going well. Sounds like it's been a great deal of fun.

Well, this is a fine song indeed. I cam hear some power ballad vocalists really having a field day with this. And despite your comparisons with modern pop ballads, this is definitely you. Your modulations and time changes seem to slip naturally by while removing the song from the humdrum.

Alas, soon is the day when we will say...

"Grooooaaaann! No more Doooorian!"

Owen

Re: "We Can Step Into Forever" vocal with scrolling video score - GPO - from "Dorian"

My word! What a beautiful song, Mr. Randy, and a great idea for a tune also...'We Can Step Into Forever'. That is so nice.

If your show is not a smash hit...then I am a Bohemian astronaut.

Thanks for sharing this fine music with us.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Randy

This time I think this one really calls for Lily to be female. It is ok as it is, hell it is much better than ok, but a female singing Lily would give us the true effect of this one. I have never complained about your voice before and I am not now either, in fact I have encouraged you to post your singing.

I can hear it in my head with a woman's voice, and this is why I have said what I have.

I am also saddened that we are nearing the end.

Perhaps when you are successful with this and become rich and famous, you can send us all plane tickets, so we can join you on Broadway and celebrate your 3rd year running.

Well Done

Ron

Owen, thanks much for this! -

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent
    Randy, how did you have time to post this for us with your exciting week! Glad to hear it's going well. Sounds like it's been a great deal of fun.
    That's a good question. I'm just keeping myself even more tightly scheduled than usual, and so used my portion of "Forum time" this morning to put together the new post. I've been wanting to wrap up this online marathon posting (of a year's duration now!) so took the opportunity while I had it this morning, to get the song up.

And yes indeed it's already a Great deal of fun to finally be meeting with potential cast members, and to start hearing them try out the score.

Well, this is a fine song indeed. I can hear some power ballad vocalists really having a field day with this. And despite your comparisons with modern pop ballads, this is definitely you. Your modulations and time changes seem to slip naturally by while removing the song from the humdrum.
    Thank you very much. I'm not sure if I could actually write completely inside the defined box of any particular style - and certainly have never felt inclined to try- so I appreciate you saying that though it's pop, it's still uniquely from me. That's great to hear.

Alas, soon is the day when we will say...

"Grooooaaaann! No more Doooorian!"

Owen
    LOL! ---Yeah, if you'll be inclined to groan at the closing of the online unveiling of the show, you will soon have the chance to groan.

Appreciate your reply, Owen.

Randy B.

Sweet! Very nice. I hope you plan on posting live versions of these when you get to that point... not to add any stress to what you have to come I think you've really done a good job with this one, but I still think the lady singing Lily's part either needs to practice, or well... I hope she isn't offended, but she needs to sound more lady-like. I hope you can pass this on to her, because I think the audience would be a little creeped out if Lily sounds exactly like Dorian. Now, I know it's your show, but I'm just trying to make some constructive criticism. Good luck!!!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

OK, so everyone leaves humming this... Yeah, I can picture that. I’m assuming this is one last happy moment before all Hades breaks loose….

Nice song, and as Owen points out, full of the typical Randy modulations and things to keep it from being a typical pop power ballad. Although I’m not looking forward to this ending, I am looking forward to the last, long installment.

Hope the auditions are going well.
    Trent P. McDonald

--!!--Grabbing another moment while I can to try to keep on top of my thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    My word! What a beautiful song, Mr. Randy, and a great idea for a tune also...'We Can Step Into Forever'. That is so nice.

If your show is not a smash hit...then I am a Bohemian astronaut.

Thanks for sharing this fine music with us.

My best,

Larry
    Wow--NIce, Larry - Thank you so much. And I Truly hope you're not a Bohemian astronaut, since that would mean the first part of your wish won't come true.

It's impossible to describe what a truly special and just plain fun thing it has been to sprinkle out the show's numbers over this past year here in The Listening Room.

When I started, I had no idea that I'd still be posting the show's music a full year later! - But the feedback and encouragement I've gotten from such fine musicians like you, Larry, has made for an experience I'll never forget.

I'm hoping the cast we assemble will also have an unforgettable experience, being the first group of people to perform the show. We're almost set to go - lots of electricity in the air now.

--noting one quirky thing. The reply counter is short by one - odd. I've never seen that happen before, but somehow one response wasn't counted. Huuummmm. Well you all count in my book, even though the Forum's auto-counter skipped one of you!

Randy B.

My faithful listener, Ronald - Thank you my friend for this:

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Randy

This time I think this one really calls for Lily to be female. It is ok as it is, hell it is much better than ok, but a female singing Lily would give us the true effect of this one. I have never complained about your voice before and I am not now either, in fact I have encouraged you to post your singing.

I can hear it in my head with a woman's voice, and this is why I have said what I have.
    OH my yes - I wish I could have this and the Finale coming up with a female voice on the track. Huge amount of work though, simply not possible. These recent postings have been from the scratch vocal I did mostly for myself, testing the entire score - and I did them two years ago. The chorus numbers especially have been developed more from the time I did the recordings.

But the point is - no woman has been available to put in the massive amount of time it would take to learn and then record these. We're stuck with a froggy Lily, Sibyl et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    I am also saddened that we are nearing the end.

Perhaps when you are successful with this and become rich and famous, you can send us all plane tickets, so we can join you on Broadway and celebrate your 3rd year running.

Well Done

Ron
    Here's what I could do even before the NY debut - I could see to it that folks who missed much of the first half of the show, like you, Ron, could have the links to those old posts. I don't think you heard the opening number for instance, Ron - talk about your Danny Elfman! hehe.

Thanks again, buddy.

Randy B.

Wow, this is catchy! Definitely a "take-out" song, awesome work!

You may have answered this elsewhere before, but I'm curious, any plans on producing a cast album? Or would that be just a bit too costly? Listening to all the great work you've done on this musical, it's hard not to desire an album with all the different characters...

Bravo, Randy, and best of luck with your production!

EDIT: I think I just might be listening to your violin version for the rest of the night... beautiful!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast