• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Traditional Theory Books Recommendation

Share/Bookmark

Traditional Theory Books Recommendation

I was looking for some suggestions on the best books for Traditional Music Theory and Harmony. Basically the stuff related to the classical side, not jazz or commercial. Stuff like proper voice leading, all those different augmented chords, etc. I need to brush up on it for teaching and it's been awhile since I studied in school. Never used a textbook back in college, so need something that will take me from beginning to advanced.
    I looked into the Robert Ottman books, but read reviews that there are many mistakes.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Traditional Theory Books Recommendation

A book that I am reading/working through right now is Walter Piston's Harmony. It seems to be a good book. In our Theory class at school, we're not using a textbook, the teacher copies chapters out of multiple textbooks, so I can't recommend anything there. But the Piston book seems good.

--Richard

Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne; Tonal Harmony.

It was my college theory text, and I'm thankful it was. I consider myself strong in theory, at least on the tonal side of classical music, and this text is largely responsible for that.

Belbin

The Contrapuntal Harmonic Technique of the 18th Century
    by Allen Irvine Mchose

This was my college theory textbook in 1957-58. This was, at the time, the basic theory textbook at Eastman as well. This pre-dates the Piston book and, while out of print, can be found used at several outlets online. I highly reccomment it. It seems to answer what you say you are looking for.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

The HarperCollins College Outline Music Theory by George Thaddeus Jones is a good book to pick up and understand concepts with. It comes with revision exercises after most chapters which really should be drilled into you before moving on to get the most from the book.

I second belbin's recommendation, i am actually going through it now, and i find it much clearer and more down to earth than Harmony by walter piston (although it's a good text, too.) Together with the workbook, it really does a great job of giving over all the info u need. For instance, their method of teaching part-writing is step by step, not "here are 17 rules, just make sure u do not violate any of them." Highly recommended!
    Sam

I heard that "Study of Orchestration, Third Edition" by Samuel Adler is very good. Anybody could confirm if it really worth the price?

Thanks
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    I heard that "Study of Orchestration, Third Edition" by Samuel Adler is very good. Anybody could confirm if it really worth the price?
    Not about theory but a must-have book for things orchestral.

Quote Originally Posted by mbreidegam View Post
    I was looking for some suggestions on the best books for Traditional Music Theory and Harmony.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    On repost, I noticed that two other people had recommended this text as well. I second (third?) those recommendations.

I've used the Kostka and Payne text, called Tonal Harmony. I used the 5th edition, and, since a new one is coming out, you may be able to get this edition cheap. It's particularly useful for the extensive self-test quizzes at the end of each chapter.

It also comes with a workbook. This provides a lot of extra exercises, but unlike the self tests in the text, has no answer key. And, be careful. If you get the workbook used, some pages may be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin View Post
    Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne; Tonal Harmony.

It was my college theory text, and I'm thankful it was. I consider myself strong in theory, at least on the tonal side of classical music, and this text is largely responsible for that.

Belbin
    We use the same book at TRCC. I'm starting my 3rd Semester as a returning student and I wish they would have had this set (Text and WkBook) back in 1986 when I went through all of this the FIRST time.
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings
    Voice: 573-840-0653
    Fax: 573-727-6511

Go Back to forum