• Register
  • Help

Topic: Notation sets legato on CC#68 seems to be making playback less so.

Share/Bookmark

Notation sets legato on CC#68 seems to be making playback less so.

I'm experiencing some confusing behavior trying to get a string passage to play legato. Background:

* Finale 2007c
    * Kontakt 2 player up to date.
    * All instruments in the project are from the notation set.
    * The part that I'm concentrating on for test is the first violin part, using N-VLNS1 KS.
    * Working with a couple of phrases at the beginning of my piece. Originally both were marked with slurs; I removed the second slur for testing. That part always plays detaché, as expected.
    * Made a duplicate of the default preferences set in HP for testing.

I'll skip over a number of other experiments that just led to this list.

When the Legato technique on CC#68 is disabled ("Use this technique" cleared), playback is smooth, presumably as legato as should be expected.

When CC#68 is enabled, as is normal operation, playback seems not to be entirely detaché (it's a little hard to tell just how much) but there is a pronounced attack on notes that is not present when CC#68 is disabled.

If the CC#68 technique is re-enabled and the action changed to set to zero instead of 127 rather than disabling it, playback is smooth again.

This seems backwards to me.

When running these tests I made the changes to settings for each one, then saved and closed the project and re-opened to load the instruments fresh. The exception is, after running the last test changing that action of the technique from zero to 127, I could switch back and forth freely and get the results I mentioned.

Any ideas?

Re: Notation sets legato on CC#68 seems to be making playback less so.

Sir, you're inthe wrong forum. This is for NOTION; your question belongs in the Garritan forum, in which I or another user will doubtless respond quickly. Check your attack strength (velocity) on slurred passages, though.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Notation sets legato on CC#68 seems to be making playback less so.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Sir, you're inthe wrong forum. This is for NOTION; your question belongs in the Garritan forum, in which I or another user will doubtless respond quickly. Check your attack strength (velocity) on slurred passages, though.

Jim

Oops! Sorry about that. Will do.

Go Back to forum