• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sharing a J&BB GM Drum sets "fix"?

Share/Bookmark

Sharing a J&BB GM Drum sets "fix"?

The things I was somewhat miffed about the J&BB General Midi drum sets were:

1. - The cowbell, tambourine, and triangle were WAY to loud compared to the volume of the others.

2. - No vibraslap (just about the only standard MIDI instrument not included).

Well, thanks to me figuring out Kontakt 3 I've put in a (cheap keyboard generated, but not too bad sounding) MIDI vibraslap, and changed the volume of those pesky loud instruments.

It is possible/recommended/legal/etc. to upload the adjusted drum fix (and samples) to share? (I suppose I'm just so elated I have this "fix" I want to spread it to the world.) And if so, where would I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Moogie X. Fashbaw
    www.moogiex.com
    www.youtube.com/jimlapbap

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core
    3 GB RAM
    Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Garritan Personal Orchestra (KP 2.2.4)
    Garritan Jazz & Big Band (KP 2.2.4)
    Kontakt 3.5.0
    Finale 2009 r.2
    Logic Express 8.0.2

----

When I think a core meltdown
    Will ruin my lovely day
    I just those fears into the engines
    And blast my troubles away

Re: Sharing a J&BB GM Drum sets "fix"?

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie X. Fashbaw
    The things I was somewhat miffed about the J&BB General Midi drum sets were:

1. - The cowbell, tambourine, and triangle were WAY to loud compared to the volume of the others.

2. - No vibraslap (just about the only standard MIDI instrument not included).

Well, thanks to me figuring out Kontakt 3 I've put in a (cheap keyboard generated, but not too bad sounding) MIDI vibraslap, and changed the volume of those pesky loud instruments.

It is possible/recommended/legal/etc. to upload the adjusted drum fix (and samples) to share? (I suppose I'm just so elated I have this "fix" I want to spread it to the world.) And if so, where would I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Hello Moogie,

This is just my own personal opinion of course.

Regarding (1); The volume of the cowbell, tambourine and triangle in JaBB. Assuming I have not missed anything I don't see any problem in simply adjusting the volume of any instrument to our needs in our DAWS or notation editors. I think Tom wrote somewhere something to the effect that it is never his intention for users to use the volumes of the samples as is. I also use GPO and in both libraries I'm always tweaking the level of this patch or that patch to achieve the balance I want. I believe just about everyone here does the same.

Regarding (2); Gary has completed his sampled MIDI library and is now working on his new player ARIA to host his new GEM. This will undoubtedly contain the vibraslap. I think it will be a while before this is available. I am uncertain about the legality of sharing a MIDI patch from another source.

As far as I am aware Gary has not provided a file-sharing facility other than for tracks for the 'Listening Room'. If anyone wants to share photos, audio or videos that are their own or in the public domain then they upload these to their own webspace or sites that offer upload facilities then provide a link in their post. I would be careful before doing this with copyright files. Please check with Gary first.

I understand the elation of having found that elusive solution and wanting to shout it from the rooftops It's good to hear you have found success in what you were trying to achieve. Keep up the good work.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

This is part of the Garritan contract to which you agree when you buy and use any of their sample libraries:

"The enclosed sounds cannot be re-used in any other commercial sample library or any competitive
    product. You are absolutely forbidden to duplicate, copy, distribute, transfer, upload or download,
    trade, loan, reissue or resell this library or any of the contents in any way to anyone. You cannot
    redistribute them through an archive, nor a collection, nor through the Internet, nor binaries groups,
    nor newsgroup, nor any type of removable media nor through a network. The sounds and samples
    contained herein cannot be edited, modified, digitally altered, re-synthesized or manipulated without
    direct written consent of Garritan Corporation."

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Frankly, Moogie - That is such an odd thing to be so hyped up about. You're wanting sounds to be all pre-mixed and balanced for you - which is not at All ideal, and Michael and the others in this thread have been indicating in their responses.

You don't want the cowbell so loud- ooookay, then either don't play it so loud, or put it on its own track where it belongs and controls it that way.

To have sounds all at an optimum level gives everyone the flexibility to do what they want in their projects.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum