• Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Wanted alive harpsichord player

Share/Bookmark

Wanted alive harpsichord player

Is there one around in this forum?

Raymond

Re: Wanted alive harpsichord player

Yes, I am a harpsichordist, and have a large two-manual instrument which I built myself. (Also a clavichord),

Terry Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    Yes, I am a harpsichordist, and have a large two-manual instrument which I built myself. (Also a clavichord),

Terry Dwyer
    Thanks and you are the guy that wrote that great tutorial. Come to you later with some questions, ok?

Raymond

Of course.

TD

Smile Re: Wanted alive harpsichord player

I'm also a harpsichordist.

But Terry is probably a complete and experienced source, even more than me.

by the way I'm available as an European alternative source...

Terry and Fabio, please have a look at this thread

http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58302

I am busy with a new project. Mostly for myself to learn from JSB. But maybe soem others can learn from it also, after all it is quite an important work to learn different aspects of our western music. Please have a look at it and don't hesitate to "burn me to the ground" when I did something wrong.

As I explained I have only a pianoscore, but I changed some elements (longer notes), because the Harpsichord is different from a piano (where you can hold on forever, dying out that sound).

When I am finished with this project at least I have a complete set of Preludes, and the score, to study. Maybe useful for other members too.

Raymond

Raymond,

I have posted a full reply on your other thread.

Terry Dwyer

OK I keep seeign this post and wanting to attach a poster of Jesse James seated at a harpsichord ....but I'll resist.

On a more serious note, while there are harpsichordists watching, I have a question. When I was at high school my teacher claimed that harpsichord technique, in Bach's day, involved holding the fingers quite flat, so that the thumbs didn't reach the keys. Hence pieces were played largely without the thumbs, which put a whole new slant on articulation and phrasing.

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    OK I keep seeign this post and wanting to attach a poster of Jesse James seated at a harpsichord ....but I'll resist.

On a more serious note, while there are harpsichordists watching, I have a question. When I was at high school my teacher claimed that harpsichord technique, in Bach's day, involved holding the fingers quite flat, so that the thumbs didn't reach the keys. Hence pieces were played largely without the thumbs, which put a whole new slant on articulation and phrasing.

Is this true?
    Partly. The keys were shorter than a modern piano, so the thumbs did not come into play quite so readily. In the 16th century the keys were *much* shorter, and the thumbs were not used much at all.

But in all centuries the fingers were NOT held flat, quite the contrary. Fingers were held quite bent, so that the tips could get a good vertical strike. Contemporary documents and pictures prove this.

When I first started playing harpsichord and clavichord, I found that my ingrained piano fingering habits were a handicap. I tried to follow the correct bent approach and lack of thumb, but gave up the struggle and just went on playing the music. After a while I naturally adapted to the styles and found that strange things happened: in Elizabethan music I found that I was fingering scales 12 12 12 etc, without thumbs, but in Bach the thumbs did come into play. At all times the bent fingers were best.

Terry Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu

Is this true?
    I have heard this too, but....
    I cannot honestly see how this is possible, looking at the complexity of using FIVE digit fingering in the Well Tempered Claivier and the 2 and 3 Part Inventions, let alone using only 4. THAT would be a neat thing to see someone do. I am sure it is POSSIBLE - but having played many of JSB's pieces, I cannot imagine it.

perhaps my tactile memory is just too far ingrained for my imagination to see this.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum