• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Gauntlet

Share/Bookmark

The Gauntlet

This is the 1st movement of 3 of a piece called The Last Sunset.

This 1st movement is called The Gauntlet and is about 2 guys who meet in a bar, have some words and decide to have a duel. Towards the end the seconds get together and decide upon a place and time for the duel to be fought with swords.

I composed this last year and have made some changes and rendered it with GPO since then.

I did borrow (steal if you prefer), 3 measures from Copeland. Call it my tribute to a great composer.( When the arrow is just above the 3 in MP3, are the 3 measures I borrowed)

Here it is
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Ron

Cool Re: The Gauntlet

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    This is the 1st movement of 3 of a piece called The Last Sunset.

This 1st movement is called The Gauntlet and is about 2 guys who meet in a bar, have some words and decide to have a duel. Towards the end the seconds get together and decide upon a place and time for the duel to be fought with swords.

I composed this last year and have made some changes and rendered it with GPO since then.

I did borrow (steal if you prefer), 3 measures from Copeland. Call it my tribute to a great composer.( When the arrow is just above the 3 in MP3, are the 3 measures I borrowed)

Here it is
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

Any and all comments are greatly appreciated.

Ron
    Hi Rolifer,

Aaron Copeland. I have a heard a lot being said about him, and do you know from who?

From Mr. Leonard Bernstein!

They were best friends, and Aaron helped Lenny with his composing. Later Leonard invited Aaron to the young people's concerts in the Lincoln Center, New York.
    Those concerts started in the 50s if I remember right, and became so enormously popular! Correct me if I'm wrong (:¤

Back to your music! Wow, so full of energy. Have never heard such energetic music from you

Very nice piano sound, it's very clear and your performance is extravagant if I may say so!

Look forward to hear more!

question: would you like to perform live on the piano with a huge symphony orchestra backing you up

Fredrik

Re: The Gauntlet

Wow! That was quite a work out on the piano. It was very stirring!

I could hear baroque, classic romanticism, impressionism and a sprinkle of atonality in this.

This is very different from most of your posts and I think it was well done.

I hope to hear the other two movements.

It does sound like it would be well received by an audience.

Phil

Fredrik

I used to watch the reruns of Bernstein's tv show for the youngsters. At least I think they were the reruns.

This is not me playing the piano, although you probably knew that (it's late and I am half asleep). There are even a few spots that I am not sure anyone could play.

I have just about finished rendering The Duel, which is the 2nd movement. It is much more energetic and some of my best ever composing for piano. It will be my next post here.

My most wished for thing in the realm of music, would be to be sitting near the center, while a great orchestra is performing my works. But I would settle for sitting in the back while a bad orchestra played my works.

Thanks for the comments both here and in that far away place.

Phil

Thanks for the comments and I can't wait for you to hear the 2nd movement, as it is turning out very nice.

Thanks again Guys

Ron

Fredrik

I used to watch the reruns of Bernstein's tv show for the youngsters. At least I think they were the reruns.

This is not me playing the piano, although you probably knew that (it's late and I am half asleep). There are even a few spots that I am not sure anyone could play.

I have just about finished rendering The Duel, which is the 2nd movement. It is much more energetic and some of my best ever composing for piano. It will be my next post here.

My most wished for thing in the realm of music, would be to be sitting near the center, while a great orchestra is performing my works. But I would settle for sitting in the back while a bad orchestra played my works.

Phil

Thanks for the comments and I can't wait for you to hear the 2nd movement, as it is turning out very nice.

Thanks again Guys

Ron
    Look forward to hear your next movement!

Fredrik

Rather a surreal premise, two fellows disagreeing in a bar
    and resorting to swordsmanship...

Given that, however, I'd say this is a reasonably able
    presentation of the expectably confused melee to follow.

What I find curious, though, is the moments of serene
    repose periodically, as, presumably, the two stop for...
    a sip or two from their brews?

Very civil and urbane, this sword-fighting, sort!

Now. The question that remains in my mind after
    listening is simply this:

Who won?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David

The sword fight takes place in the 2nd movement.

This all takes place in a time when duels were common and fought more out of fun than out of hatred or the desire to kill.

Duels use to be a right of passage for the nobility and were rarely ever to the death. This one, since the piece is called The Last Sunset, happens to be one where a participant dies and witnesses his Last Sunset, which also happens to be the name of the final movement.

In those times, if you didn't have a scar or 2 from dueling in your youth, you weren't considered to be much of a man.

Thanks for the high praise of calling this a "reasonably able
    presentation ."

The next movement will require even more explanation, since the duel will be presented as a real duel, not a Hollywood one. But that can wait for now.

I really do mean thank you and was not being sarcastic, I hope you understand that!

Ron

Completely enthralling, Ron -

On my second time listening I looked through the thread, -I'm glad David Et Lux asked the question about how this fits into the overall composition, so you had a chance to explain - Clears up the question I had too.

For me, when your taste for expansive atonality is tamed into more recognizable forms, into more dramatic structures, then your output is the most successful - even when much of it consists of "episodes" - meaning simply that it's then when it reaches me most, involves me most.

I love this. How's that? Love this.

Randy B.

Randy

I know that this piece still needs work, but sometimes you get to a point and say enough already. There is still a lot of fine tuning to be done, but I have had it with this one.

I have always thought that this movement was the weakest of the 3 and I think you will agree, once you have heard the rest.

The 2nd is now completed and I will begin cleaning up the 3rd and putting it thru GPO sometime this week.

Now that I have built up the next movement, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Thanks again

Ron

Fredrik

Phil

Thanks again Guys

Ron
    Hi Ron,

Well, there's one guy! His name is Evgeny Kissin . Here, listen: http://tubearoo.com/articles/82939/R...?autoplay=true

I'm sure he would be able to play all your notes in Gauntlet

Fredrik

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast