• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lecuona - Malaguena for Concert Band

Share/Bookmark

Lecuona - Malaguena for Concert Band

This piece is a little more along the lines of what I best like to make an arrangement of - a piano piece that has a lot of character. (The Rachmaninov Prelude is sort of a piece where the pianist just bangs on the keys with all of his hands and feet - this was confirmed by a piano teacher/professor friend of mine).

This was written for a concert band with a lot of resources. In addition to the usual instrumentation, I wrote parts for Eb Clarinet, 'Nino' Sax, Alto Flute (although I would have used the Bass Flute is I had my GPO Kontakt 2 upgrade running - I just got that installed this morning after a week of 'dancing' with the NI folks), Mezzo Soprano Sax, Melody Sax, Tenor Horn, Mellophone, Contrabass Clarinet and Subcontrabass Sax. (Hey, everything but the "kitchen sink" - but I think that the sink was included in the Percussion).

Of particular note, I liked the timbral nuances of the interplay between the piccolo, Eb clarinet and 'nino' sax in various combinations. (See if you can distinguish them).

There is a HUGE "organ effect" at 2:34 for half of that passage (the higher instruments). When it gets to the lower instruments (half way through that passage - maybe 4 or 5 seconds), the "organ effect" goes away and the distinctive instruments can be heard, again. I did everything I know of to eliminate this - offset the Note On of all instruments by varying amounts and varying the shape of the cc1 for all instruments. If you have further suggestions about combating this, I'm "all ears".

Anyway, hope that you find this to be an interesting piece. This was my first remembrance of any 'classical' music that I paid any attention to. I was 5 to 7 years old, and it was from an old (not old at the time) 78 record. I think it was by the First Piano Quartet.

All comments welcomed.

Frank

http://www.box.net/shared/vbi4p1osgo
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Re: Lecuona - Malaguena for Concert Band

Pretty good arrangement. I really enjoyed it.

Here is an interesting video you might like…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGkhiiM-KRg
    Trent P. McDonald

plenty good arrangement,,,,,you might want to get in touch with DPDAN (Dan Kury) and ask his advise. Depending on what you are using to write with and render with,,,he will probably have solutions to "organ" machine gun, accordian, effect that you are haveing problems with.
    John

Trent -
    Can you spell ENERGY? Wow, what a video and what an arrangement!!!

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

After Bach treatment and I needed it. Before I go to bed with your music it is like I took Anti-Bachitis medicine. Thank you,

Raymond

Hi, Frank

That's quite a project! Made for a very enjoyable, even exciting listen. Good going.

It's good that you worked with shifting the note-on events, and you asked for more tips on avoiding the "organ effect" - be sure to use touches of Var 1 and Var 2. They are the "secret ingredients" for making recordings sound more natural, since they do exactly as they're named--they provide the variety of intonation and timbre which naturally occurs during a live performance.

I'm sure impressed with your vigorous output, Frank!

Randy B.

I was listening to Richard Wayland's piano version
    of this just a short while ago, Frank.

You've done quite an able job of adapting this for
    band. Very well done! A little challenging in places,
    certainly; but this would be a knock-out in live
    performance.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com