• Register
  • Help

Topic: question for Simon (mic pre)

question for Simon (mic pre)

I think I recall that you use Cubase with Giga. Occasionally I record live vox / guitars, etc. Can you recommend a decent mic pre ($500 range).

Should it have digital out (to Cubase)?

Thanks in advance.

Re: question for Simon (mic pre)

Actually I dont know the slightest about pre-amps. I do very little recording myself and when I do, I just use the ones in my Mackie mixer.

Look at either a Digimax LT or a DBX 386. For the money those would be two good options.

Art Tube MP\'s for a single in/out for either a quarter inch jack or a loZ. Inexpensive and has a nice warm sound.

I love my Grace Model 101.

My vocal processing unit has a mic preamp built into it. Am I missing something by not using another mic pre amp, and do they do more than just amplify the sound? Confused a bit, obviously.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Donnie, I have heard that the DBX 386 is nice - at a good price ($400). I record live vocals / guitars / solo violins to \'sweeten\' my midi sequences.

Munsie, what I have found is that the better the mic pre, the warmer (with more headroom) to vox / instrument. Of course, it is always a matter of user preference.

San Jose, Ca, USA

16-CH digital mixer - Tascam TMD-1000 - $500: http://www.tascamcontractor.com/tmd1000users/

Has anyone used Focusrite\'s Voice Master? It\'s the only one I\'ve got, so I can\'t compare.

Go Back to forum