• Register
  • Help

Topic: Saint Michael the Archangel for Pipe Organ

Share/Bookmark

Saint Michael the Archangel for Pipe Organ

Hello everyone,
    this is my first full GPO project. It's in two parts in the same file, so don't click stop during the short pause in the middle! I've been working with the Finale 2006 version of GPO for the past few years, and it's been really great to finally use the full software.

I would gratefully accept any commentary or suggestions for improvement on my composing or on using the Garritan Personal Orchestra.

I'm using Finale 2006, outputting MIDI data through Apple's IAC buses to the GPO Kontakt Player 2.

Thanks for listening!

The File is a little quiet in general, but there is also some pretty apparent dynamic contrast, so please don't turn your speakers up to full and blast yourself out in the first few seconds of the piece!

Saint Michael the Archangel for Pipe Organ

Volume has been increased a little.

Re: Saint Michael the Archangel for Pipe Organ

Sonare,

This is a lovely, dramatic work for organ. Who is the composer, yourself? It could stand a little higher output, even at its loudest point I did not find it overpowering. Can you tell us something about the instrument selection too?

Thanks.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Very nice piece. Thanks

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Sonare,

This is a lovely, dramatic work for organ. Who is the composer, yourself? It could stand a little higher output, even at its loudest point I did not find it overpowering. Can you tell us something about the instrument selection too?

Thanks.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thank you very much for your comments, Gary. I composed it a few months ago. I'll try to get the output higher, I do agree with you, haha. Finale 2006 has always seemed to have low output; I could probably tinker a bit with Finale's mixer and see what I can do.

I used differnent combinations of the GPO pipe organ samples to emulate different stop combinations on organs as they would be called up by combination buttons. I chose my combinations and then set each group to a different midi channel. I just used custom expressions in Finale 2006 after that to play the combinations where I wanted them.

I ended up with these combinations:

Cornet and Flutes (for the quieter sections)

Plenum Reed Pedal and Plenum Reeds (for the pedal during the times when the first and third combinations were used)

Principle, Cornet, Flutes, and Hauptwerk Mix (for a middle dynamic)

Full Organ and Plenum Reed Pedal (more 80% organ )

Full Organ, Symphonic Plenum, Brustwerk All Stops, Hauptwerk All Stops, and Plenum Reed Pedal. (really full bore organ)

I liked the full organ samples, but for the end of the piece, I really wanted it to be even more powerful, and so I chose to use the last combination listed about as the "full organ" of the virtual organ that I was building, while the real full organ sample was more like 80%.

Finale 2006 seemed to take total control of the volume, and so I had to set all of my volume levels through Finale using key velocity expressions. It took a variety of key velocities that were set individually for each stave and combination that I was using to really balance all of the levels as they might be on a real organ. Obviously one or two stops in combination would be much quieter than the full organ, all stops open. I don't play organ myself, though I've done quite a bit of research, so I did the best I could in this.

I really had a lot of fun putting everything together and making it sound as realistic as I possibly could.

Thank you again for your comments! God bless you!

Very nice piece. Thanks

brsmith
    Thank you very much, I'm glad you think so. God bless!

Tyler

Sonare,

This is a very impressive piece. I know how difficult it can be to compose for the organ and this is very good.

I also think the volume could be turned up a bit. If you are using the KP2 player, you can always increase the volume there.

Well done

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Sonare,

This is a very impressive piece. I know how difficult it can be to compose for the organ and this is very good.

I also think the volume could be turned up a bit. If you are using the KP2 player, you can always increase the volume there.

Well done

Ron
    Thank you very much, Ron! I just increased the volume a few minutes ago and uploaded the new file. I think I need to move the volume up on the quieter stop combinations in comparison to the full organ combination, there is a stark constrast. I'll still be tweaking this for a while, haha. God bless you!

Hello, Sonare

I've just gotten through listening to your new louder file, and the volume seems plenty full - I didn't hear the previous version, but this seems fine. It might be true that the contrast is still too large between soft and loud sections, but I'm not sure.

THANKS for both the music and the details on how you went about working on this, very interesting.

My, Michael is a very Stern angel as depicted musically in this! But he Does have that fiery sword doesn't he, so that's probably appropriate.

It sounds so good - It's nice to see someone working to get the most out of the good Organ samples in GPO.

Compositionally I enjoyed what you have, though I felt like what I heard was the opening statement that would be leading up to something which breaks away and becomes more developed. Is this a first movement?

Strong recording -thanks for posting it.

Randy B.

An apt and able portraiture of Michael, Sonare,
    and expert use of the GPO organ stops in this.

Much enjoyed, particularly the more energetic
    and engaging second section.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Sonare

I've just gotten through listening to your new louder file, and the volume seems plenty full - I didn't hear the previous version, but this seems fine. It might be true that the contrast is still too large between soft and loud sections, but I'm not sure.

THANKS for both the music and the details on how you went about working on this, very interesting.

My, Michael is a very Stern angel as depicted musically in this! But he Does have that fiery sword doesn't he, so that's probably appropriate.

It sounds so good - It's nice to see someone working to get the most out of the good Organ samples in GPO.

Compositionally I enjoyed what you have, though I felt like what I heard was the opening statement that would be leading up to something which breaks away and becomes more developed. Is this a first movement?

Strong recording -thanks for posting it.

Randy B.
    Thank you very much! I really did love working with the different GPO organ samples. This piece is actually more of a wordless prayer asking for St. Michael's protection and intercession. I had an earlier version written for a baritone vocal solo and choir, and so I took the melody, which is what you hear in the first part of the second section, and then moved it to organ and wrote some counterpoint around it to develop an environment.

I never thought of creating other movements, but that's actually an excellent idea! I think I'll revisit my idea of a baritone solo in the second movement. I need to sing a bit more, and so I'll try to incorporate that into my next recordings.

I'll try to describe more of St. Michael himself and what he does in the later movements. What I have now is quite stern, but it's more from our perspective than from his. Such great protection requires the greatest of love and obedience, first and foremost of and to God, but also love of us, whom he is protecting out of love, and so maybe I can describe more of that in the later movements.

Thanks so much Randy! I was looking for something to write about, and now you've laid out an excellent idea. Thanks again, may God bless you!

Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    An apt and able portraiture of Michael, Sonare,
    and expert use of the GPO organ stops in this.

Much enjoyed, particularly the more energetic
    and engaging second section.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you very much for your kind comments! More should come soon, I hope. I'm excited to develop my use of the organ stops further. God bless you.

Tyler

Go Back to forum