• Register
  • Help

Topic: FILM SCORING 101 (Music/visual sync)?

Share/Bookmark

FILM SCORING 101 (Music/visual sync)?

Hi all,

Given all that is possible with 2008 technology, what is the easiest way to co-ordinate score with imagery? My work has been for the concert hall and recording studio, but I would like to begin exploring the world of scoring for video.

I understand the concept of finding "hit points" in a film or video and have learned that these were calculated in the past with a "click book". However with all that is possible with a DAW and notation software, there must be an easier way to calculate the amount of musical material (which is understandably tempo-dependent) to synchronize with the hit point. For example, how many bars of 3/4 at quarter = 132 do I need to get to 3'32'' which is where the planet explodes?

Thanks in advance!
    Eric

Re: FILM SCORING 101 (Music/visual sync)?

Sure - you can see that in a sequencer. Most will allow you to play video. For your cue you would just look at the barline at the top, and see how many bars you need to get to the timecue for the end.

The transport player will give you the timecode and or barlines count also. If you havent worked with modern sequencers before, once you get past the initial learning curve, your going to like what you see...

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    Sure - you can see that in a sequencer. Most will allow you to play video. For your cue you would just look at the barline at the top, and see how many bars you need to get to the timecue for the end.

The transport player will give you the timecode and or barlines count also. If you havent worked with modern sequencers before, once you get past the initial learning curve, your going to like what you see...
    That is some fantasic information. Thanks, Joseph

The answer to your question depends on what sequencer you're using. In Cubase (and I think DP) it is very easy and would take a few seconds. In most other sequencers it is slightly more complicated. Name your sequencer, and I'm sure that someone will help.

D

When I receive a video, I open it in Sony Vegas to reduce the amount of data and add timecode when not already done. After, I open Sonar Producer 7 (my midi sequencer) and look for a good tempo. You can do this watching the video cues, images ... joyful? drama?

When you begin, you can use a "basic" sound like a piano or a "cheap" synth. It's an easiest way to find your themes, the movie's atmosphere.

Follow your feelings!!

Go Back to forum