• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Topic: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Almost 3 years ago when I got GPO I hastened to record this Christmas piece I had written back in the early 90's: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Now having finally gotten the Gofriller, (and hopefully gotten better at this rendering stuff) I decided to revisit the score again and give it a try:

    http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/LovelyFragrance.mp3

    The piece starts with a slightly modified version of the tune, then in the second verse brings in a decorated version that plays in canon with the piano accompaniment.

    For comparison purposes, here's the link to the original GPO version:
    http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/orwiglovelyfrag.mp3

    I can tell my abilities have progressed - I'm learning the subtleties of working with samples, I think.

    Enjoy....

    - J

  2. #2
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,024

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    This a lovely christmas piece. I don't think I have heard one of your compositions before. I was pleasantly surprised and I hope to hear some more.

    I can hear an improvement from the original version.

    Your sound perspective is always back a little but it allows you to experience more of a live performance than a closer "studio" sound. I think it has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. It comes down to personal preferences, that's all.

    I liked the title.


    Phil

  3. #3

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    J

    This is very good. I think it would be more believeable if the cello wasn't quite so overpowering. There also doesn't seem to much difference in the dynamics, but that could be just my cheap headphones.

    Well done

    Ron

  4. #4

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Quote Originally Posted by giwro_jon
    Almost 3 years ago when I got GPO I hastened to record this Christmas piece I had written back in the early 90's: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Now having finally gotten the Gofriller, (and hopefully gotten better at this rendering stuff) I decided to revisit the score again and give it a try:

    http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/LovelyFragrance.mp3

    The piece starts with a slightly modified version of the tune, then in the second verse brings in a decorated version that plays in canon with the piano accompaniment.

    For comparison purposes, here's the link to the original GPO version:
    http://www.evensongmusic.net/audio/orwiglovelyfrag.mp3

    I can tell my abilities have progressed - I'm learning the subtleties of working with samples, I think.

    Enjoy....

    - J
    Hi there!

    It's a very nice piece, even though Christmas is over

    I liked it a lot!

    Fredrik

  5. #5

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Thanks Phil!

    I've posted a few of my things here, but since most of my compositions are Organ or Choral works, there's not much way to showcase them here until Gary gets us a Choral and an Organ library


    This is actually (IIRC) a french christmas carol/song... I've long loved the melody, and often wished to arrange it.

    As for the reverb issue, one can tell I've backed off on the "swimming" reverb I was using early on in my renderings... I still prefer my medium-priced seats halfway back in front of the balcony

    LOL

    - J

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    This a lovely christmas piece. I don't think I have heard one of your compositions before. I was pleasantly surprised and I hope to hear some more.

    I can hear an improvement from the original version.

    Your sound perspective is always back a little but it allows you to experience more of a live performance than a closer "studio" sound. I think it has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. It comes down to personal preferences, that's all.

    I liked the title.


    Phil

  6. #6

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Nice work on this, my friend; the 'cello really sings
    well in this.

    Interesting to listen to the two, side by side...
    because, you know, the earlier recording has rather
    a good color to it, as well... sweeter.

    I must admit I wouldn't mind being able to afford
    the better seats, myself, though... lol!

    And whilst I have the opporunity, Jonahthan, my
    sincere best wishes for all good things in this
    New Year!

    Yours,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  7. #7

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Hello again, giwro_jon - Always great to see you here.

    NICE to post the comparison file for us - thanks for that. Well, is there anyone who is aware of the Garritan Gofriller who doesn't realize it's one of the most amazing soft-sampled instruments ever made?

    Excellent work with it - Beautiful composition.

    Et Lux said:

    "...I must admit I wouldn't mind being able to afford
    the better seats, myself, though..."


    And the others chimed in--THEY said it first this time, not me! - You know me - I So agree that this would be more enjoyable not so booming and hollow with all that reverb. - As you said on your last thread, we simply disagree. I just don't know how you can think this sounds right--BUt there ya go.

    Thanks for the music though!

    Randy B.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    Jonathan,

    I am familiar with this work and I must say that both of your versions of it are really quite fitting. I like the coloring of the more recent one a little better. I don't find the cello overpowering at all. It is a solo instrument afterall Thanks for sharing it here.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  9. #9

    Re: Taming the Gofriller: Lullaby "What is this Lovely Fragrance?"

    A vote here for less reverb as well. Try it. You just might like it too!

    Rob

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •