• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Macworld

Share/Bookmark

OT: Macworld

With the macworld expo being, well... in a week. What future products do YOU think will be revealed at the Expo? Last year was the iPhone (seems alot longer) What do you think the future of computing and consumer electronics will hold????

Re: OT: Macworld

Hopefully a $10 Mac Pro with 3ghz 8 core processor and 16 GB of RAM with 4 TB of Hard drive space! Oh yeah - this $10 system also needs to come with 2 30 inch cinema displays.

Jerry

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Seriously though - I am anxious to see what new stuff will be coming soon.

The one big thing I was floored with this past year was releasing Logic Studio which included all the extras (all separately $2,500 value previously) but for only $500. THAT shocked me, as Apple has never been known for low low prices. Let's hope that is a TREND for hardware too!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Hopefully a $10 Mac Pro with 3ghz 8 core processor and 16 GB of RAM with 4 TB of Hard drive space! Oh yeah - this $10 system also needs to come with 2 30 inch cinema displays.

Jerry

The new Mac Pros were announced this morning and they are 8 core and start at $2799. There is a single 4 core chip option for $2299.00

They might announce a mini tower at MW using the less expensive new processors but the chance of that happening is slim.

Phil

Yea. . . I just checked out the new MacPro's with its 8 core computers. These new 8 core MacPros are now considered "standard". (My 1 year "old" MacPro with its 2.66 CPU (4 core) is now behind the times, I guess. Sigh. . . . )

Also. . . I JUST heard on the early morning news that Apple is getting into the video rental business.

(Oh. . . there's still performance/stability issues with its new Logic program, but I won't go there. )
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke

(Oh. . . there's still performance/stability issues with its new Logic program, but I won't go there. )
    Really? I think Logic 7 is very unstable - crashes often. I was hoping 8 was better.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Apple will give in to customer demands and release Leapard without the Apple Hardware-Exclusive Lock, allowing PC users all over the world to enjoy the great OS X without having to pay the high prices for Apple Hardware. Making millions from licensing their OS to major PC manufacterers, Apple will overthrow MS as the major OS king.

If only
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Really? I think Logic 7 is very unstable - crashes often. I was hoping 8 was better.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry -

Regarding Logic 8. Actually, I think it's "stable". It's as "stable" as any of the sequencing programs that I've owned throughout the years. Probably better!

BUT. . . . and this is a big "but" (no pun intended. . . ). . . there's this not so minor problem with the System Overload issue. This problem issue raises it's head rather easily and quite frequently for, apparently, many of the Logic 8 users including me. Here's how it appears for me. I have a Logic 8 project loaded with virtual instruments using the Kontakt 2 sampler, Kontakt 2 Player, RealGuitar, RealStrat and even Apple's own EXS sampler. When I initially load up a saved project and press "PLAY" to begin the song, the sequence stops and I get that dreaded system overload message. A simple workaround for me is to individually high-light and "engage" each virtual instrument and then play a few notes. I can then use Logic 8 for hours without any further system overload message. Interestingly, this doesn't work for everyone. Also, interestingly, there are other reported workarounds for this problem issue which may also work or not work for other people. So, there seems to be no one reliable workaround.

Most users blame Apple for not fixing an apparently old issue. It seems that the systems overload issue also existed to some extent in Logic 7. Others blame software developers like Native-Instruments. Personally, I think it's a combination of all of the above. But that's just my less than professional and knowledgeable opinion.

Otherwise. . . I really like Logic 8 and its new layout. Seriously, I like it a lot! I use my simple workaround each and every time I load a large, saved project and I experience no other issues. Most of the time.

Check out both Apple's support forum for Logic and the other support forums. If you type in "system overload" on their search engines, you'll get way too many threads/discussions on this topic. Actually, I noticed that Apple has deleted the most recent thread on this topic. Many of the postings have been more whine than helpful which, I guess, is against Apple's Forum Policy.

Me?? I just lurk and read in hopes to fine the perfect workaround or that Apple (and the other companies) have fixed this particular issue. So far, there's no 100% reliable workaround. There certainly is no fix.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke
    Hi Jerry -

Regarding Logic 8. Actually, I think it's "stable". It's as "stable" as any of the sequencing programs that I've owned throughout the years. Probably better!

BUT. . . . and this is a big "but" (no pun intended. . . ). . . there's this not so minor problem with the System Overload issue. This problem issue raises it's head rather easily and quite frequently for, apparently, many of the Logic 8 users including me. Here's how it appears for me. I have a Logic 8 project loaded with virtual instruments using the Kontakt 2 sampler, Kontakt 2 Player, RealGuitar, RealStrat and even Apple's own EXS sampler. When I initially load up a saved project and press "PLAY" to begin the song, the sequence stops and I get that dreaded system overload message. A simple workaround for me is to individually high-light and "engage" each virtual instrument and then play a few notes. I can then use Logic 8 for hours without any further system overload message. Interestingly, this doesn't work for everyone. Also, interestingly, there are other reported workarounds for this problem issue which may also work or not work for other people. So, there seems to be no one reliable workaround.

Most users blame Apple for not fixing an apparently old issue. It seems that the systems overload issue also existed to some extent in Logic 7. Others blame software developers like Native-Instruments. Personally, I think it's a combination of all of the above. But that's just my less than professional and knowledgeable opinion.

Otherwise. . . I really like Logic 8 and its new layout. Seriously, I like it a lot! I use my simple workaround each and every time I load a large, saved project and I experience no other issues. Most of the time.

Check out both Apple's support forum for Logic and the other support forums. If you type in "system overload" on their search engines, you'll get way too many threads/discussions on this topic. Actually, I noticed that Apple has deleted the most recent thread on this topic. Many of the postings have been more whine than helpful which, I guess, is against Apple's Forum Policy.

Me?? I just lurk and read in hopes to fine the perfect workaround or that Apple (and the other companies) have fixed this particular issue. So far, there's no 100% reliable workaround. There certainly is no fix.

Ted
    It's really just the way Logic does it's dsp, everything needs to be initiated for playback. A little bit of a bummer but 'tis nothing compared to what Logic can do!

Go Back to forum