• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sorry

Share/Bookmark

Sorry

A song from the musical I am working on. A bit of a plug:

- have just invested in auralex foam for my studio. I think that the quality improvement of this mix is dramatic versus my previous.

Song is sorry @ http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=405294

Would love some critique on the song, mix, production and anything else. Keep it coming! This forum only makes me better.

This song is Garritan unleashed! GPO and Gofriller make up the strings. Great sounds!

Re: Sorry

Bump! I am already on page 2. This site i sway too busy to have so few messages page. Plus it is my birthday this month so please indulge me!

Hi, Sunny

All of us who post music here in The Listening Room can relate to being amazed at how FAst the front page can change.

And then people have their own reasons for either replying or not replying to what they listen to. The percentage of people who stop to type a reply is below 10% of listeners - it's just the way it is.

SO, I was interested in listening especially since you said this was from a musical. You mean as in a stage musical? - That's the market for my major project, and I've been posting songs from the show over the past year here.

You're obviously not aiming for this to be in any kind of Broadway mold - It's a pop style musical you've written. And that in of itself is fine of course.

You're song, "Sorry" is very much in the pop-single mold - I'd like to understand better how you envision this being done on stage.

High energy, driven by the modern emulation of the old analog drum machines, the Roland sound, and because of its looped sound, seems well suited for the dance floor, to be sure.

Use of the Garritan Cello was interesting, somehow it didn't seem always quite in synch with the beat? Maybe because of the constant swell on the notes.

Do you know that the opening instrumental sounds very much like - darn, can't think of the name of the song - but it was extremely familiar. And for both stage purposes and and for the purposes of a single, I felt it went on too long before the vocal started. If you used the first 4 bars then go to the vocal, it could be more effective perhaps.

Once the song is established, there aren't any musical surprises really - Which is OK for a pop song perhaps, I'm just having trouble picturing how it would work in context of a stage production.

A good solid bridge, a departure from what we hear throughout - that would lift the song up I think.

I had fun listening - and here, this reply will boost you back up again so maybe some other people will take more notice.

Randy B.

Cool song Sunny!

Pop songs seem to get less response around here, or i think i have noticed that in the past. but recently busy with home stuff and havent had time to click on more than about 4 per visit at the most, so don't know how it is here lately.

...and Happy Birthday!!

Saying sorry very good (if you don't say it too much or don't really mean it), so saying it in a song, mucho effecto!

I liked the Spanish feel of it and that made me anticipate a bit of Spanish guitar, maybe something like that could be used for the bridge Randy suggests.

Nice work though, enjoyed listening and i loved the strings.

David

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Sunny

All of us who post music here in The Listening Room can relate to being amazed at how FAst the front page can change.

And then people have their own reasons for either replying or not replying to what they listen to. The percentage of people who stop to type a reply is below 10% of listeners - it's just the way it is.

SO, I was interested in listening especially since you said this was from a musical. You mean as in a stage musical? - That's the market for my major project, and I've been posting songs from the show over the past year here.

You're obviously not aiming for this to be in any kind of Broadway mold - It's a pop style musical you've written. And that in of itself is fine of course.

You're song, "Sorry" is very much in the pop-single mold - I'd like to understand better how you envision this being done on stage.

High energy, driven by the modern emulation of the old analog drum machines, the Roland sound, and because of its looped sound, seems well suited for the dance floor, to be sure.

Use of the Garritan Cello was interesting, somehow it didn't seem always quite in synch with the beat? Maybe because of the constant swell on the notes.

Do you know that the opening instrumental sounds very much like - darn, can't think of the name of the song - but it was extremely familiar. And for both stage purposes and and for the purposes of a single, I felt it went on too long before the vocal started. If you used the first 4 bars then go to the vocal, it could be more effective perhaps.

Once the song is established, there aren't any musical surprises really - Which is OK for a pop song perhaps, I'm just having trouble picturing how it would work in context of a stage production.

A good solid bridge, a departure from what we hear throughout - that would lift the song up I think.

I had fun listening - and here, this reply will boost you back up again so maybe some other people will take more notice.

Randy B.
    Thank you. Sorry for pestering.

- this is not for a traditional musical. More for a podcast story with chapters.
    - the piece probably reminds you of Pachabel. I have belatedly realised that this might be a more contemporary piece of music inspired by the music we all get married to...
    - I ususally judge my music by the yardstick of whether I would buy it or not. I would not buy this. It is my bastard child although it might be my best mix to date.

Thanks for listening. Comments here and elsewhere do not suggest listener passion. Confirms my own thoughts.

Well, I listened to it because I have an interest in pop music and musicals.

I think the strings could use some more legato maybe.

The intro reminded me a little of The Everly Brothers Let It Be Me.

No problem borrowing a little though. I can hear 10CC and The Kinks in The Phantom of the Opera's take out.

If not a bridge then modulating would do wonders for it.

Phil

Saving grace- have never listened to the Everly Brothers or 10CC and know nothing by them. What do you mean by modulating the bridge?- Flanging?

Quote Originally Posted by sunny
    Saving grace- have never listened to the Everly Brothers or 10CC and know nothing by them. What do you mean by modulating the bridge?- Flanging?
    He means a key change.

This is really cool, Sunny. A good feel and a very nice mix. It can stand on its own as a pop song. I'm not so sure of the drum outro, and the strings could use a little midi editing to make their attacks less sample-y. I also agree that the introduction could be shortened. Nice use of GPO and the Gofriller to add some colorful backing!

Best,
    Reegs

Good tight sound on this, Sunny, and engaging
    material with the kind of energy that keeps a
    listener... a listener.

At first I was going to comment that the mix
    sounded a bit too close; but on a second listen,
    I like the environment on this; it works for me.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Interesting piece (in a good way) Not the typical music posted here but definitely appreciate the variety.
    Anyways, I liked the music--strange combo of Pachelbel's Canon over a dance beat--but with sort of a country twang to it. I agree a key change might help. Also imagined you could sing the word 'Sorry' (being held) over Pachelbel's at the end. Might be a nice effect -- then again might not!

Thanks for posting

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast