• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Topic: Up-date dilemma

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Up-date dilemma

    I found it necessary to re-load my GPO and GJBB. I then tried to load the available up-dates. I've gone to the NI Service Center and downloaded what I surmised as up-dates many times and then tried to install them but to now avail. Presently my GJBB is still vs. 1.1.9 and my GPO is still vs. 1.1.8.
    Whenever I bring up a file now and start to load instruments, the following messages appears--
    "Garritan Jazz
    This patch was generated by a newer version of Kontakt. Please upgrade your copy to load the patch."

    My KP2 and Kontakt2 are both vs. 2.2.4. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the newest downloads and install them properly? Do up-dates and up-grades have to be installed in chronological sequence to get from the original installs to the present versions?

    My deepest thanks to DDW and JerryW who have already spent much time and effort helping me with a different problem.

    sos

  2. #2

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Are you using the Garritan instruments as plug-ins or standalone? If you're using the plug-ins then one possibility is that the newer DLLs have gone to the wrong location. I find that installers tend to assume quite a variety of different locations for your VST folder. I reinstalled all my NI stuff last week, and found that it wasn't even consistent across those. When I installed Komplete it found the right folder, but the updates to individual products all assumed a different route.

    So if you've absent mindedly clicked install, without checking the route it was going to, you may find the DLLs have gone astray. Also I've found that some installers are set to create a new 'VST Plug-ins' folder, within whichever route you specify. I very carefully pointed my Komplete installer at the synths folder within my VST folder, everything looked fine, then it went and created a new VST Plug-ins folder within the synths folder.

  3. #3

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    I found it necessary to re-load my GPO and GJBB. I then tried to load the available up-dates. I've gone to the NI Service Center and downloaded what I surmised as up-dates many times and then tried to install them but to now avail. Presently my GJBB is still vs. 1.1.9 and my GPO is still vs. 1.1.8.
    Whenever I bring up a file now and start to load instruments, the following messages appears--
    "Garritan Jazz
    This patch was generated by a newer version of Kontakt. Please upgrade your copy to load the patch."

    My KP2 and Kontakt2 are both vs. 2.2.4. Does anyone have any idea how I can get the newest downloads and install them properly? Do up-dates and up-grades have to be installed in chronological sequence to get from the original installs to the present versions?

    My deepest thanks to DDW and JerryW who have already spent much time and effort helping me with a different problem.

    sos
    Hello Sosmus

    Another suggestion is that one of the updates on the NI site updates the Kontakt Player 2 only whilst the other updates both the player and GPO/JaBB. If you downloaded and installed the full updates for the player with GPO and JaBB then everything should have worked OK.

    When updating, your old versions of GPO and JaBB are backed up and saved. This is in case you have any files/scores using the older version. If you have installed the full update for the player and GPO/JaBB then somehow when you try to use GPO/JaBB it is pointing to the backup folder.

    Personally, I uninstalled everything first, including GPO, JaBB and all things NI then reinstalled using the latest updates. I realise this may sound drastic but it worked for me. The problem with this approach is that if you have existing files using the earlier version of GPO/JaBB then you will need to backup this earlier version then put it back after the fresh install.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  4. #4
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Pingu & Michael uk:

    Thank you so much for your help.
    I'm still fuzzy on some of the techno-talk so I'll answer your answers with more questions.
    Pingu: I do everything through FINALE so does that mean that all of my NI and Garritan programs are plug-ins? Is Komplete Installer at the NI Service Center?
    Michael uk: I'm so afraid of screwing things up even more, I quake at the thought of a complete dis-load, but I'm willing to try. I am curious about the order of re-installs.

    Wish me luck!

    sos

  5. #5

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    I do everything through FINALE so does that mean that all of my NI and Garritan programs are plug-ins?
    Yes.

    Is Komplete Installer at the NI Service Center?
    The original should be on the disk that came with your product box, the update/upgrade is available from the NI Service Center. Probably you have to install the original first and then the update.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

  6. #6

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Pingu & Michael uk:

    Thank you so much for your help.
    I'm still fuzzy on some of the techno-talk so I'll answer your answers with more questions.
    Pingu: I do everything through FINALE so does that mean that all of my NI and Garritan programs are plug-ins? Is Komplete Installer at the NI Service Center?
    Michael uk: I'm so afraid of screwing things up even more, I quake at the thought of a complete dis-load, but I'm willing to try. I am curious about the order of re-installs.

    Wish me luck!

    sos
    Hello again sosmus

    Ahhh .. I also use Finale with GPO and JaBB; I have Finale 2008.

    In your Finale VST folder you should have 6 files as follows. You will need to copy and paste some of these files yourself.

    Garritan Ambience.dll
    KontaktPlayer2.dll
    softsynth_vst.dll
    GIFinstrument.txt
    GarritanJazzinstrument-K2.txt
    gpofull2instrument.txt

    This is for Finale 2008. which version do you have?

    Edit note: Sorry, it should be 6 files and not 7 as I originally stated; unless you also have the full Kontakt 2.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  7. #7

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    "...Probably you have to install the original first and then the update..."

    Not in my experience. I seem to be a rare case, but I had exactly Zero problems doing the update. When I finally bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to KP2, I followed the advice on the Forum to ONLY get the most recent update - I did that - followed the instructions and Voila - instant happiness.

    I went through no un-installs or re-installs. I just did what it said to do at NI.

    Randy B.

  8. #8

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Hi again Sosmus,
    I'm afraid I don't use Finale, so I'm not entirely sure I'm a lot of help. On the other hand it does sound like it has a VST plugins folder, so what I would do is this. I'd do a search in Windows Explorer for all files with Kontaktplayer in the name. If it turns out you have several (and it probably will if you've used the updater) simply look at the properties of each to find the version number. Then figure out which folder Finale looks at for VST plugins and drag the latest Kontaktplayer.dll to there, from wherever it's gone. It will simply overwrite the older dll and opening it from Finale should then give you the right version.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sosmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    667

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Hannes F & Randy:
    Thanks for the chronology order help. That saves a lot of time.
    Michael uk:
    I have Finale 2008a. Where do I find the Finale VST Folder? Thanks for the list of "what should be there."
    Pingu:
    I am a Mac user so I don't have a Windows Explorer,maybe it's under a different name. I do have a search window (with a small magnifying glass)and I looked for a Finale VST Folder and got nothing. I'll keep looking.

    Thanks again for all of your help.

    Helpless in (actually North of) Seattle,
    sos

  10. #10

    Re: Up-date dilemma

    Hello Sosmus,

    I'm on a PC so I don't know about the Mac folder structure. Also I'm not too sure if the Mac uses VST or if it has a different name. The VST folder or its equivalent on the Mac is where GPO/JaBB plugins would be located. This folder should be located in your main Finale program folder.

    On the PC the path for the Finale VST folder is:

    C:\Program Files\Finale 2008\FinaleVST

    When you locate your plugins folder you may find some of the required files missing. Don't worry, this is normal. On the PC we have to manually download and paste some of the files. I presume this will be the same on a Mac.

    If there are any Mac Finale 2008 / GPO and JaBB users reading please help out here.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •