• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT-What's your pet peave?

Share/Bookmark

Angry OT-What's your pet peave?

Since we've started a new year, I thought it might be fun to see what some of our biggest pet peaves might be when it comes to music. Composition, notation, libraries, DAWS, technicial issues etc. I know myself personally, there are a few things that really peave me off...

1. When I'm using my DAW (Fruity Loops), There isn't a easy way to multiple edit tracks! Anyone who uses Fruity loops knows that each track is displayed seperately in channel bars and clicking on a bar, opens that specific track for editing in the piano roll. Such a pain when multiple edits are needed across the score.

2. Annoying things that "creep" up on you during the final stage of mixing and recording like "pops" or pitch bends, or volume drops.

3. A wireless optical mouse that has a mind of it's own, only when your trying to work on your music!

4. A black keyboard with white letters that you have used so much, some of the letters are worn off!

Just a FEW of my peaves. So what's your's?

Jaker "Shaver"
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Re: OT-What's your pet peave?

1. Classic FM and the endless 'smooth' drivel they play!

2. The seemingly endless stream of in-house composers at Classic FM who all write whole albums sounding exactly like the famous track from 'The Piano' but are promoted as the cutting edge of new music.

3. The presenters at Classic FM, who know absolutely nothing about the music they play, yet act the part of classical snobs. This peave is mitigated by the occasions when their writers give them complete nonsense to read, and they read it in blissful ignorance, or the occasions when they announce a track, play something totally different, and have no idea. At least then I get a laugh.

Pingu not only Classic FM. Most presenters don't even know how to pronounce names of composers, pieces of music. Lately I hear the name of Ravel pronounced in english. But it is not limited to presenters. People at the forum made severe spelling mistakes also, like Greig, Beithoven, Neilsen.

And according Wikipedia the word is peeves, not peaves!!!

Raymond

Ah, well, peeves it is then...lol.
    "A wrong note played timidly, is still a wrong note. A wrong note played with authority, is improvisation."

Lol--Fun topic, Jaker.

And I have a question or two about your particular list:

Quote Originally Posted by shaver
    Since we've started a new year, I thought it might be fun to see what some of our biggest pet peeves might be when it comes to music. Composition, notation, libraries, DAWS, technical issues etc. I know myself personally, there are a few things that really peeve me off...

1. When I'm using my DAW (Fruity Loops), There isn't a easy way to multiple edit tracks! Anyone who uses Fruity loops knows that each track is displayed separately in channel bars and clicking on a bar, opens that specific track for editing in the piano roll. Such a pain when multiple edits are needed across the score.
    --I don't actually know what you mean--How can an edit you want to do on one track be exactly the same edit you want to do on another one?

Do you mean tracks which are identical to each other but are played by different instruments? In that case, in Sonar, which I use, when one Clones a track instead of just copying it, the edits in one of the tracks is reflected in all the Clones - because it's actually just one file that the program is multiplying for you "on the fly." - Is that what you mean?
    2. Annoying things that "creep" up on you during the final stage of mixing and recording like "pops" or pitch bends, or volume drops.
    I'm really starting to love Sonar even more - None of those things have ever happened to me! Really!
    3. A wireless optical mouse that has a mind of it's own, only when your trying to work on your music!
    Ah - well wireless. I've found no need for wireless. What's wrong with a wired-in mouse? - Mine never gives me a problem. And of course I mean an optical mouse, not the old mechanical rolling ball style.
    4. A black keyboard with white letters that you have used so much, some of the letters are worn off!
    Well that one we can all relate to - But replacement keyboards are very inexpensive - Perfectly good ones for under $20.

My own musical equipment related pet peeves--hmm.

DAW - I've tried both Cubase and Sonar - use the latter. But I do wish Sonar had Cubase's Piano Roll View feature where you can create separate panes for seeing each MIDI controller you want to work on, rather than having them all piled on top of each other, and with the need to keep selecting what you want to work on. It's slick in Cubase that you can have maybe 4 windows open down below the note window, and there's no extra clicking involved to edit all 4 different controllers.

Notation programs - Even though I don't use them, I am dismayed the way many beginning home recordists get sucked into the notation industry hype that they need to be most concerned with manufacturing beautiful looking scores instead of beautiful sounding music.

I feel that many people would discover and develop their latent musical talents more readily by using the intuitive audio/MIDI recording software environment--programs such as Sonar and Cubase, rather than notation programs.

That means it's a pet peeve of mine to see people struggling to get better recordings out of a notation program, when they're not in a position to need pro looking print outs, and I know they'd have a much easier and more rewarding experience with a MIDI keyboard hooked up to their keyboard, working in a DAW. There. I said it!

Another slight peeve:
    How about very trained and educated music students who can only compose music which other trained and educated music students can appreciate?

Hand in hand with that last peeve - it's more of a sadness, to see people spending their time producing music which doesn't have passion, which doesn't grab their listeners and take them on voyages which only music is capable of taking people on. What's the point of writing music which only engages the analytical mind? I'll sooner listen to a random note generator than some boundary-less modern atonal things. Or I'll let my cat walk across the keyboard.

---I'm realizing I have extremely few complaints about the tools I use. Any limitation I run across gets shrugged off as a challenge to find a work around. So I use a computer with "only" 1 gig RAM - which was considered HUGE just a couple years ago - and it's not capable of playing everything I compose in real time - Big Deal - I know how to freeze or bounce tracks, free up resources, so I can keep working on a piece. That's not a peeve - It's a slight limitation which I just work around.

AH - this was good. I feel better than when I started. I can't think of very many actual Peeves.

Randy B.

I guess I can be my own pet peeve sometimes LOL.

A pet peeve regarding music/production is when I have to delete parts of a project to be able to save it. Argggh ...
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Randy,

I believe the new version of Sonar, Version 7, does have multiple controller lanes. I'm not a Piano Roll View person myself so I don't use them. I stick with the Staff View, Track View, and Console. That's always been enough for me.

Also, I think many new "recordists" or "composers" start in Finale or Sibelius either because they learned music via notation, aka they can actually read and understand notation, unlike so many of the younger users today - OR - they saw someone else, or someone else told them about Finale-SIbelius because they themselves don't know any better. In the end, I agree, there's a lot of really bad "performances" being rendered in notation programs that would be much better served being created in DAWs.

As for atonal composition, I think it's like all the rest of the various styles. Either a particular piece works for you or it doesn't, and along with everything else, there's a bell curve to the level of quality, a little on the top, a fair amount of generally ok stuff in the middle, and a bunch of junk at the bottom - same with classical, jazz, pop, whatever.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Oh yeah, my pet peeves - fingers that can't or won't read my mind when I'm playing an instrument and computer software and hardware glitches that gets in the way of making music when it's supposed to be helping.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Hiya, Paul - Thanks for the input on my "Peeve" response.

My understanding of Sonar 7 is that it still offers superimposed controller views instead of actually separate windows--but I haven't used it, so I could be wrong.

"...I stick with the Staff View, Track View, and Console. That's always been enough for me..."

How do you work your MIDI controller data? The other views each have a valuable purpose, and the Event List view is something I've sifted through Often also - But only in the Piano Roll can you draw in more controller data, microscopically shift notes (grid off) - and edit already existing data. There's no other way to do all that - The Piano Roll to me is the Heart of a DAW.--!

OK - a peeve - people who disagree with me. LOL--KIDDING!

Randy B.

I sympathise with the Fruity problem. It's probably its biggest flaw that it can't superimpose piano roll editors from multiple tracks. On the other hand it is such an incredibly powerful program that I can overlook that. I find myself turning to it more and more recently, because it does a lot of jobs about a gazillion times quicker than Cubase.

Go Back to forum