• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thinking outside the Square

Share/Bookmark

Thinking outside the Square

Thanks a million for having such a useful web-site. I am using the notation-
    programme 'QuickScore' and have successfully got it working OK with 'Garritan/Kontakt'. A look through problems experienced by people using other
    sequencing-arrangements on your site, came up with the solutions I needed to fire-up my own. Again, thanks.

I find 'Quick Score Elite 12' a bit pedestrian in the sequencing department,
    with only 16 MIDI Channels. As a stop-gap, until such times as I can re-jig
    my finances (I'm retired), and find the best possible long-term solution, I wish
    to wring the most, I can, out of 'Quick Score'.

My stuff is destined, ultimately, to be added to the sound-tracks of video
    productions, which are already in existence, but able to be re-edited. Can
    anyone out there, see any objection to my using Ulead 'Media-Studio 8 Pro'
    for a final 'mix' of Orchestral music. It gives good quality (Subject to sampling-rate settings etc) in all other applications, has almost unlimited channels and requires only a 'bmp' shot of a blank-screen to be put into one video 'track' to fulfil all video requirements (I've been using it that way for years for background audio, etc). The audio-levels are able to be set up in
    'rubber-band' mode and automatically mixed during final 'renders'. The
    setup I envisage would require 'wav' files as input(s), not much of a problem as long as registration of tracks is done carefully (eg to nearest
    1/25th second) at start-points. I envisage using orchestra sub-divided into
    'sections' plus whatever added permutations (eg a solo-instrument in a 'concerto' situation), are needed, to make it possible to keep-tabs on
    everything. I have several very good track-mixers at my disposal, but this seems the best way for me at the moment. Also, from within 'Quick Score'
    my 'Kjaerhus' range of VST-effects is active, plus a dynamic limiter I use to
    ward-off distortion at high audio-levels. 'Smart-render' will not re-render anything already in 'DVD' mode, so it is not necessary to re-mix, (and consequently re-compress), all audio.

Basically, as a mid to short-term expedient, will this work? If not, is anyone
    able to suggest a sequencer suited to the Classical Orchestra (mainly) at a price which won't bankrupt me. US prices are irrelevant, it's the buying-power of the NZ$ which matter to me, and that fluctuates quite a bit.

regards,
    Ian Smith
    Dunedin N.Z.
    IAN SMITH

Re: Thinking outside the Square

Hi Ian,

Welcome aboard. Your approach seems like it will work, but it also seems much more involved than it needs to be. You're only adding music to the final cut of video footage, correct? If so check out a sequencer such as Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio or Reaper. Both are reasonably priced and should perform all you need faster. CSHS and I believe Reaper support import of AVI, MPG, and MOV. You can load GPO as a VST, apply effects, and render your mix as audio in these programs, without worrying about losing sync between sections or audio files (you can get a final single mixdown). You can even import the MIDI files of the scores you have from Quick Score Elite.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks 'Reegs', that is exactly the kind of advice, I need. By the way, I
    was not being critical of 'Quickscore's' Notation capabilities, just that on my
    software, 'Elite 12', the possibilities for a full orchestra dry up somewhat as
    the tracks give-out. I have read some reviews of products, and 'Sonar'
    is already on a 'short-list' I am putting together for further investigation. Unfortunately, my years of experience in Video-editing, audio tracks etc, is not yet matched by complementary skills in the 'Garritan' environment. (How could it be, after less than a week of tinkering?) I have re-scored an original little composition I wrote recently, for combinations of 'Garritan' instruments, as a trial. To me it sounds 'mighty', and I haven't even scratched the surface of possibilities, yet.

Regards, and thanks,
    Ian Smith
    IAN SMITH

Hi, Ian

Here's something - You said:

"...I find 'Quick Score Elite 12' a bit pedestrian in the sequencing department, with only 16 MIDI Channels..."

When you're using Kontact - KP2 which is the engine for playing GPO, you're not limited in the number of MIDI channels. Each instance is its own sub-system of channels - Once you've started on your second instance of KP2, you've started on another group of 16 MIDI channels. See?

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    When you're using Kontact - KP2 which is the engine for playing GPO, you're not limited in the number of MIDI channels. Each instance is its own sub-system of channels - Once you've started on your second instance of KP2, you've started on another group of 16 MIDI channels. See?
    Some VST hosts (such as FL Studio) automatically limit MIDI data to only 16 channels, for no practical reason except that's how it was done for years. I don't know anything about Quick Score Elite 12, but if it has the same kind of arbitrary restriction on MIDI channels you can occupy before starting a new instance, I can definitely sympathize with the poster's frustration.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Thanks guys,

I have experimentally done a final mix in NCH 'MixPad', which was
    straightforward, although I would prefer 'rubber-bands' and an 'auto'
    final-mix, (maybe we're spoilt with video). I have noted all advice
    given and will look into aspects of it. 'Price' is a factor, on my income.
    One aspect which I am becoming aware of is the proportion of the
    purchase-price of most sequencers, which would be wrapped-up in
    pop-music orientated 'effects' which might suit some users just fine,
    but are quite useless for my purposes.

The 'Kjaerhus' web-site in Denmark has an excellent range of freebie
    VST performance-enhancers under the label 'Classic'. They work well in
    most VST situations, eg where 'Kjaerhus' won't deliver for you, nothing
    else is likely to either. Some of my outdoor shots, in widescreen, call
    for impressive music-to-match, and I screw up ther sound-levels a bit
    on occasions, so their GUP limiter, (not free, sadly), keeps audio-levels
    to within the dB range which won't produce distortion.

Also, I use mixes of music/live sound frequently, in fact I have a
    sequence of Mendelssohn's 'Hebrides' Overture cut to the ocean's
    movement on one of our spectacular pieces of coastline, and the
    sound of spray falling back onto the ocean after some of the
    crescendos is highly effective. Sadly, there seems to be a sort of
    'intermodulation' effect, which makes the music a bit 'harsh' if the
    mix of music with what is very nearly 'white-noise' is overdone. Just
    thought I'd throw that in as a bit of additional information. The effect
    is to tip the music/live-sound mix somewhat towards what used to
    be known as 'barbed-wire-strings', in the bad, old days.

regards,
    Ian Smith
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    IAN SMITH

Go Back to forum