• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Power Mac out...

Share/Bookmark

New Power Mac out...

Well, I've saved up a lot of money and am soon to convert myself from a PC user to a Mac user. The new Power Macs are out and I am tempted to go all the way:

3.2 ghz, 8 core power max
    8 gigs of RAM
    500 gig hard drive one (for system, Finale, DP, Kontakt)
    500 gig hard drive two (for samples)
    500 gig hard drive three (for samples)
    500 gig hard drive four (for audio files)
    Two large monitors.

and....

Apogee duet sound card
    Ultrasound earphones (already have)

Maybe later.... Event speakers
    Logic Pro

And, I will probably install my daughter's Final cut pro (her second licensed installation)

This will cost a bundle, but I have worked hard and saved up. Trouble is, I have a lot to learn about how to use Kontakt and the samples, not to mention Digital Performer or Logic Pro once I buy it.

Any comments? (Am I going overboard?)

David Young

Re: New Power Mac out...

I have heared about 32GB RAM.

I think we all will wait to the NAMM Show or German Musikmesse. Perhaps, there will be an outstanding new music computer with neversawn properties before... ?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I don't think you need 8 gigs RAM just yet for audio. Logic 8 uses a max of 3, Leopard uses about 1, and Kontakt will get you worrying more about cpu before its sucking out your RAM. 4 or 5 gigs is plenty.

Now is a great time to buy a Mac Pro.
    Logic 8 is an incredible piece of software!

I will also be getting a duet soon!!!! I'm jealous. haha

Hard work sure pays off, doesn't it?

God Bless,
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic
    Well, I've saved up a lot of money and am soon to convert myself from a PC user to a Mac user. The new Power Macs are out and I am tempted to go all the way:

3.2 ghz, 8 core power max
    8 gigs of RAM
    500 gig hard drive one (for system, Finale, DP, Kontakt)
    500 gig hard drive two (for samples)
    500 gig hard drive three (for samples)
    500 gig hard drive four (for audio files)
    Two large monitors.

and....

Apogee duet sound card
    Ultrasound earphones (already have)

Maybe later.... Event speakers
    Logic Pro

And, I will probably install my daughter's Final cut pro (her second licensed installation)

This will cost a bundle, but I have worked hard and saved up. Trouble is, I have a lot to learn about how to use Kontakt and the samples, not to mention Digital Performer or Logic Pro once I buy it.

Any comments? (Am I going overboard?)

David Young
    Just buy the Mac Pro from Apple.

You can buy 8 gigs of ram online for under $400

500 gb hard drives go for $119 each online.

I would wait for MW on the monitors. Apple will probably announce new displays.

Thanks,

I will be purchasing the computer through West LA music, who will install RAM for less $$

David

i ordered the 2.8 ghz version.
    the difference in performance between the 2.8 and the 3.2 version will buy me a macbook pro!

Seriously-the 2.8 will be so much faster than my old G5 that it should keep me happy for the next couple of years

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.saenz
    I don't think you need 8 gigs RAM just yet for audio. Logic 8 uses a max of 3, Leopard uses about 1, and Kontakt will get you worrying more about cpu before its sucking out your RAM. 4 or 5 gigs is plenty.
    Just wanted to point out that Logic 8 CAN access more than 3gb of RAM. According to apple, EXS no longer has the 4GB limit, and can use as much ram as you have access to in your system. Note, this is only for EXS. You can access all 8 gigs of RAM using Kontakt and other apps in stand alone mode, routed internally into logic using apples core audio/midi. This has been done on countless systems already.

I would for sure get at least 8 gigs of RAM for heavy sample composition, just not from apple. Its much cheaper elsewhere.

Enjoy your new mac!

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    i ordered the 2.8 ghz version.
    the difference in performance between the 2.8 and the 3.2 version will buy me a macbook pro!

Seriously-the 2.8 will be so much faster than my old G5 that it should keep me happy for the next couple of years

Hans
    I'd love to hear some comparisons of the two systems if possible. I'm still on a 2.5 G5, and though I cant afford to upgrade right now, I'd love to have a reason to save $$$

as soon as the mac gets here (early next week according to my dealer)
    i will load a project that was bringing my 2 ghz G5 to his knees.
    I will let you know the result.
    According to Apple the 2.8 eightcore is almost twice as powerful as the 2.66 Quad
    The difference between the 2.8 and the 3.2 should be something like 15%.
    I highly doubt that this will justify a price difference of 1400 euro.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Just wanted to point out that Logic 8 CAN access more than 3gb of RAM. According to apple, EXS no longer has the 4GB limit, and can use as much ram as you have access to in your system. Note, this is only for EXS. You can access all 8 gigs of RAM using Kontakt and other apps in stand alone mode, routed internally into logic using apples core audio/midi. This has been done on countless systems already.

I would for sure get at least 8 gigs of RAM for heavy sample composition, just not from apple. Its much cheaper elsewhere.

Enjoy your new mac!
    In addition, when EWQLSO is released in the PLAY format it will be able to access all available ram on your system. Logic will have its 3 gigs, and PLAY will have the other 12 - if you have 16 gigs for example.

Go Back to forum