• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Multiple PC/DAW users- advice needed

Share/Bookmark

Multiple PC/DAW users- advice needed

I am in need of a 2nd PC to be added to my music studio. I have been "getting by" with 1 PC for the last couple years, but am now getting tired of the limitations of only 1 PC. I was considering a Receptor Pro, but at almost $3,000 (and certain compatibility issues) it seems to me that a 2nd PC would be a much more inexpensive (and familiar) way to go.

I was hoping to get some advice on the easiest/most pain-free way to go- What are the easiest/best methods to integrate a second DAW using my main DAW, etc., etc...? I know I could probably get a lot of information elsewhere on the net, but I would love to hear experiences from people here on this newsgroup if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Multiple PC/DAW users- advice needed

Don't worry.
    Actually its very easy to set up. You'll need MusicLab MidiOverLan (or similar maybe freeware) and FX-MAX FX-Teleport. Then you shoud set your computers to a static ip (that will solve you a lot of problems). Also Remote Desktop is awesome feature. You can use any amount of computers with single monitor-keyboard-mouse.

Thanks! so let me make sure I have everything. I would need to buy:

1. The 2nd PC, of course
    2. FX teleport
    3. Musiclabs MIDIoverLAN
    4. Some sort of KVM switch for the remote desktop? -I then could control my 1st DAW's mouse, keyboard, and monitor to control the 2nd DAW?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

I'm using FX-Max FX-Teleport, which is great. Simply install it on all the machines on a LAN, do a bit of configuring on your master machine, and you can load all your effects in your DAW as though they were on your master machine, while your slave machines do all the processing.

All depends what you want to do, but I don't need MIDIoverLAN. FX-Teleport sends MIDI to your VSTis and streams the audio back. You don't even need audio interfaces on the slave machines.

One thing I'm looking at is Synergy - a program which allows you to use one keyboard and mouse for all the machines on a LAN. Apparently you just have to drag your pointer off the edge of one screen and it appears on the next one along. The keyboard works with whichever screen the mouse is on. The problem is I can't seem to get many answers about it. I assume it swallows some network bandwidth, which might prevent FX-Teleport being able to run as many plug-ins across the LAN. None of the FAQs at the Synergy site address LANs which are supposed to be doing high performance real-time stuff.

Right, FXtelepot doesn't need midioverlan (its all-sufficient), i use MOL for different stuff.
    Also, you don't need KVM, Remote Desktop is Windows built-in feature (just set everything to a static ip).

no KVM? So, FXteleport will allow me to control the second DAW via my 1st DAW's mouse, keyboard AND monitor? If so, how simple and sweet would that be!

So, just a 2nd PC and FXteleport and I am ready, huh? Definitely MUCH cheaper than Receptor Pro.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

for an ocassional use, or simply for test things, i have used a freeware plugin called "ReaStream", a standard VST fx that sends and receive midi and audio streams over lan, so i can use cakewalk in one pc and send&process audio or midi to, by ex, Tracktion, in the other pc. I dont know how it performes compared to fxteleport.

This is the link:

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
    this are the specifications:
    * Supports streaming from host to host of audio and/or MIDI over a LAN segment
    * Supports streaming from different host software on each end
    * Supports UDP broadcast for streaming one to many (if local network can keep up)
    Marcelo Colina

I was about to ask the same question myself. Thankfully the advice above has stopped me connecting two PCs together with a bit of midi cable and a probably over-optimistic length of hope.

Thanks.

Will the static IP affect your ability (or the security) to use you computer on the internet? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W
    I was about to ask the same question myself. Thankfully the advice above has stopped me connecting two PCs together with a bit of midi cable and a probably over-optimistic length of hope.

Thanks.
    That would probably work too, but you'd need a DAW and an audio/MIDI interface on both machines, with one DAW set to be a MIDI slave. The audio would have to come out of the two soundcards separately, to be combined outside the machines.

With FX-Teleport you don't need a DAW on the slave machine. FX-Teleport acts as a VST 'host/wrapper' on the slave machine, and the audio is streamed back into your DAW on the master machine.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast