• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Musical Dare

Share/Bookmark

A Musical Dare

Normally I would wait a day or two more before making another post, but I have had this piece around and wondered when might be an appropriate time to post it.

I feel that since it is somewhat related to the subject matter of Raymond's Kunst thread, it would be good to get mine up while Raymond's is still on Page 1.

This piece is sort of the "other side of the coin" in relation to The Art of Fugue (that Raymond is pursuing).

In the last couple of years of Johanne's life he visited his son (C.P.E.) at the King of Prussia's palace in Potsdam (Frederik II) on the occasion of his son gaining the position of court musician. Frederik met with "dad" and was aware of his improvisational reputation. He laid out a rather long theme and ask Bach to make up a fugue on the spot. So, he did. Then the King challenged him to use this theme in a 6-part fugue (the one Bach had just played was a 3-part fugue). Well, Bach said he would have to go home and work on it.

Two weeks later, Bach sent a set of manuscripts to Frederik. They included the 3-part fugue, the 6-part fugue that he was dared to composed, 10 canons (for most of these he only laid out a few measures, then gave clues as to how to solve (or resolve) each piece, and, a flute sonata - the King played the flute.

These pieces make up the famous A Musical Offering. The Art of Fugue and A Musical Offering were the last two catalogued works of Bach until recent additions.

The piece I am offering is the 6-part fugue, called Ricercar a 6. It is in the 'a la Bricault' instrumentation - a sax sextet.

Instrumentation: Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone I & II, Bass saxes.

Frank

http://www.box.net/shared/ztdrtw4gk0
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Re: A Musical Dare

Hello, Frank

"...I have had this piece around and wondered when might be an appropriate time to post it..."

You're doing fine. The only guidelines here are that we try not to post something new when we still have something on the front page. Surprise boosts can interfere with our intentions, but nobody worries about that. So, just post whenever you want, within that basic guideline.

It's a beautiful work you've let us listen to here. Hmmm, we have yet more classical works translated into pieces for Sax - interesting!

Sounding very good to me - Thanks for it.

Randy B.

I think the saxes worked well for this fugue.

It sure is a pretty piece and is nicely arranged by you.

It sounds good.

Phil

Hi Frank,

Those saxes certainly made for a great amount of intensity to this... it sounded great! My only minor suggestion would be to experiment with and vary the vibrato depth/rate a bit; but, as I said, that's a very minor issue and largely a matter of personal taste. I thought you did a really nice job with this and thoroughly enjoyed the listen. Thanks for posting!

Danny

Gentlemen -
    Thanx for the nice comments.

Danny -
    I'm working with the vibrato variables a little more, now. This is probably a good piece for some liberal use because there are quite a few sustained notes.

I hadn't got around to upgrading this piece, yet, and I wanted to get it on the Listening Room while Raymond's Kunst thread was still fresh.

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Hi Frank,

Good rendition. I like the setting you've placed the saxes in--it really seems to be the right room and blend. The saxes' expressive playing and particular tone adds to the notes of the piece better than other instruments too, I think.

Again, nice work!

Best,
    Reegs

Beautifully done adaptation, Frank.

All of us who cut our musical teeth on counterpoint
    have Das Musikalische Opfer and Die Kunst der Fuge
    practically branded on our souls.

It surprises me not at all that The Master's work
    sounds so comfortable on six saxophones...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum