• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Baroquen Promises"

Share/Bookmark

"Baroquen Promises"

Y'all All,

I first posted this back in 2005 as a solo harpsichord piece.

Today I augmented (no pun intended) my "Baroquen Promises" with a full complement of "lush" GPO strings. The harpsichord is GPO.

(It actually contains no characteristics of the Baroque period. I guess that I am desperate for titles. )

My best to everyone.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Baroquen Promises"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    (It actually contains no characteristics of the Baroque period. I guess that I am desperate for titles. )
    And I who had gotten my hopes all up gees.., thanks

But seriously, once again, a simply lovely piece of music. The massive string accompaniment is intoxicatingly charming.
    Thanks for positing!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Felixissimo
    And I who had gotten my hopes all up gees.., thanks

But seriously, once again, a simply lovely piece of music. The massive string accompaniment is intoxicatingly charming.
    Thanks for positing!
    Thanks very much. Nice of you to listen and comment.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Harpsichords seem to be in style these days here on the Forum!

And for my money, Larry, you've done some special Alexander magic with the Harpsi and Strings in this piece. Very nice. Glad you re-visited it so we could partake.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Harpsichords seem to be in style these days here on the Forum!

And for my money, Larry, you've done some special Alexander magic with the Harpsi and Strings in this piece. Very nice. Glad you re-visited it so we could partake.

Randy B.
    Appreciate your comments, Mr. Randy. Thanks very much.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Enjoyed your Baroquen Promises.

Once again nice counterpoint on this one.

Low temp tonight 44 F. Hi temp tomorrow 44 F.

Phil

Hey Larry,

Listened to this just before leaving for work today... and, well, you're certainly not desperate for inventiveness!

Another thoroughly enjoyable composition; loved the string section stuff all the way through. It complemented the harpsichord just perfectly!

My day is off to a great start! Thanks, Larry!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Enjoyed your Baroquen Promises.

Once again nice counterpoint on this one.

Low temp tonight 44 F. Hi temp tomorrow 44 F.

Phil
    That little ol' counterpoint dude, Larry.

Dang! It's warmer where you are than where I am.

Thanks for having a listen, Mr. Phil.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hey Larry,

Listened to this just before leaving for work today... and, well, you're certainly not desperate for inventiveness!

Another thoroughly enjoyable composition; loved the string section stuff all the way through. It complemented the harpsichord just perfectly!

My day is off to a great start! Thanks, Larry!

Danny
    You are soitenly welcome, Mr. Danny. Woo...woo...woo! (I don't know why I just did that. Lunacy I suppose. )

Thank you for your continued support. It lifts my spirits.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Y'all All,

I first posted this back in 2005 as a solo harpsichord piece.

Today I augmented (no pun intended) my "Baroquen Promises" with a full complement of "lush" GPO strings. The harpsichord is GPO.

My best to everyone.

Larry
    I really enjoyed listening to your piece. I was not around the forums in 2005, and so I did not hear the first recording. The harpsichord part is well written and very exciting to listen to. As Randy says, harpsichord music seems to be in style around the forums, which I, and I'm sure others, are very pleased with.

I like your string parts as well. In my personal opinion, I think the lush strings patch may be a little much. I've been working on this aspect with my own GPO recordings, but I think it is important to match ambiences for the most realistic effect.

The lush strings sound as though it is a full compliment of violins, the size of an orchestral section. The sample itself sounds as if it is heard from out in the hall. The harpsichord samples are very dry and up close, as if you were hearing it from no more than a few feet away.

I would try to use some of the ensemble building techniques that GPO is famous for. You could really do a lot of great things by layering instruments. Something like three seperate first violins, three seconds, three violas, two cellos, and a bass. Then you could set your levels and add an amount of reverb that suited your tastes. Since the individual string samples are more dry and up close, then you could match ambiences with the harpsichord.

The kontakt player 2 version of GPO has a pretty good selection of pre-defined reverb settings, but I don't know whether you have the kontakt player 2 version of GPO, so using whatever you use for sequencing and reverb would be great.

You could also try to add reverb to just the harpsichord, to make it sound further away to match the strings. I don't mean to pry too deep. This is a good piece and I've been on a GPO frenzy lately, so don't be offended by my paragraphs of advice!

May God bless you and your music.

Tyler

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast