• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Fatar StudioLogic SL990XP & SL990Pro

Share/Bookmark

Fatar StudioLogic SL990XP & SL990Pro

Could those of you on this forum who use either one of these keyboards as a controller give some feedback as to whether they are good or not. Do either or both have:

expression pedal inputs for CC11?
    aftertouch?
    USB? The specs say no but it's worth asking anyhow.

How is the hammer action? Is it tight? Spoungey?
    Do the keys make a loud sound? Believe it or not I am looking for a quiet keybed?
    Is the keybed hard or soft? Can you play on this for hours and not get finger fatigue?

I have looked at some reviews at Harmony Central but would like to get some first hand impressions from people on this forum whose opinions I respect.

Dave

Re: Fatar StudioLogic SL990XP & SL990Pro

I have the 880 and it is similar. I love the action on it. However the volume is a fixed output and cant be changed in the keyboard. I just had a post up you may want to look at about the 880. I use nuendo and was able to use the input transformer in the midi chanel to convert cc7 to cc11. There are a coupld of plugins some of the other guys are using to. The new series does that though. I think they have three pedal outputs and are controlable. I just got a email from the studiologic rep. I think they are the vlm series or something like that. THey look good. It depend on what you want it for. If you are getting a good deal on one I think you will be happy with the action. The main drawback is the fixed putputs on the pedals

Hi

Good keyboards but they don't support aftertouch - you need to go the the VMK range for that

colinD

Quote Originally Posted by CeemDee
    Hi

Good keyboards but they don't support aftertouch - you need to go the the VMK range for that

colinD
    May be press harder

It's either the SL990XP or the CME ZSC76 which does have aftertouch, varying velocity curves, USB bus power, and octave switch keys. Plus a keyboard that supports the Apple keyboard I have. The only thing is I'm not nuts about the CME line thus far so I am not sure about it. It's also a couple hundred dollars more.

The Studiologic SL-990XP is a Master Controller keyboard that will allow you to control MIDI instruments, sound modules and accessories. The SL-990XP provides an 88-note keyboard with full-size weighted hammer action keys that give a true piano feel. The keyboard features pitch and mod wheels, aftertouch, and 8 global velocity curves to give expressive control. Performance control is available using program and bank change, transpose, MIDI channel change and 100 user memory locations. The SL-990XP provides MIDI Out and a sustain pedal input. An AC power adapter is included. The keyboard features pitch and mod wheels, aftertouch, and 8 global velocity curves to give expressive control.

Quote Originally Posted by Energy Recruitment View Post
    The Studiologic SL-990XP is a Master Controller keyboard that will allow you to control MIDI instruments, sound modules and accessories. The SL-990XP provides an 88-note keyboard with full-size weighted hammer action keys that give a true piano feel. The keyboard features pitch and mod wheels, aftertouch, and 8 global velocity curves to give expressive control. Performance control is available using program and bank change, transpose, MIDI channel change and 100 user memory locations. The SL-990XP provides MIDI Out and a sustain pedal input. An AC power adapter is included. The keyboard features pitch and mod wheels, aftertouch, and 8 global velocity curves to give expressive control.
    I ended up buying the SL990XP and it does NOT have aftertouch, nor velocity curves. that is the SL990PRO which has a lighter touch too. The XP has a beautiful hammer action that is a tad lighter on the throw than the Yammy boards. It's perfect for my playing needs. I use a transformer through Logic 8 to get CC11 or even CC1 sometimes with the foot pedal. No biggie.

At $350 through Musician's Friend, this thing is a steal. I totally would get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Energy Recruitment View Post
    Resurrecting a 10 month old thread to copy and paste text from the Studiologic website?? Kind of an odd first post..

And it's not even right. That's the worst part. That description is for the SL990PRO which has a 3/4 weighted action, but does not feel like hammer action. My friend has one and I was so glad that I opted for the XP because it feels better to my hands. More of a throw and solid keys.

I do not care for Fatar's remodeled VKM series as they got rid of the mod wheel for some stupid joystick. I am told their action is fantastic though so who knows.

Are you guys shure the keyboard action is different on the pro and xp?
    I asked our distributor and they say they use the exact same action named TP40GH!
    I'm really confused now and just wanted to order the Pro as its cheaper than the XP in Germany

Go Back to forum