• Register
  • Help

Topic: using GS3 just for sample conversion

Share/Bookmark

using GS3 just for sample conversion

I just got GVI. Works great! I earlier uninstalled GS3. Got tired of blue screens on my do all computer. Trouble is I've got Hans Zimmer Guitars in Akai format. I could load GS3 just to do the conversion and quickly uninstall. I did a forum search on this and Extreme Sample Converter came up. Would this work for my purposes?
    Dave M.

Re: using GS3 just for sample conversion

Yes, it does. It converts from Akai S5000/S6000/Z4/Z8 with .akp extention ( Not sure what it means since I dont have Akai format files ). I made converstions between my .sf2 and .gig format files in either direction. It works fine.

You should give it a try. The demo version puts some random noise in the wave file you convert to. The problem is, if you buy the software, you need to redo the conversion as those noise won't be removed automatically.

esz

ESC is what I had to buy since GS3's sample conversion doesn't work.

After weeks of lame support, and worthless spyware fixes I broke down and bought ESC. It converted all of my beloved Akai CD's like Spectrasonics, Ilio, and Sonic Reality, before they chose a smaller venue.

I quickly forgot my anger towards Tascam when I heard how much better they sounded converted in GS3. You should convert the CD's to GS3, so you can play them in GVI.

Let's face it, as long as developers keep regurgitating the same Ultimate this and that, with out taking a chance by releasing never made before sample libraries, some of the content that worked well in Akai, must be used.

How many Pianos, strings, horns, Rhodes, wurly's and basses must we see again and again? Jeez, I am so anxious for Belbin's Pedal Steel, and something along the lines of a better solo saxophone. I converted an old Ensoniq Mirage distorted guitar sample to EMU, then Akai, and then Giga 1,2, and 3, then GVI.....Why? Because it still works great for me and sounds buzzy as opposed to digatally clean distortion. But I always look for a better sample. I suppose that's what many developers are trying to do, make the same old thing better.

I am just glad that some take chances and create really unique and different samples. While the others perfect the previous and create more new performance features.
    JimmyV

Thank you both for the info. I will get ESC.
    Some day I would like to get a dedicated Giga computer. But putting it beside a bunch of other software my computer went psycho. Blue screens, wouldn't shut down, then wouldn't start up. This is good. With ESC I can have the stability of GVI and use samples in different formats.
    Dave M.

In my experience, nearly all Giga-induced BSoDs were the result of trying to run the version of the program that came on the original DVD (3.1?), which could not run properly on a dual-core machine.

That may or may not have been what you were experiencing.

Once I updated to a later version (I think it was 3.12), the BSoDs pretty much disappeared.

One way to get GS3 to work on your one "do-all" computer -- assuming that you're up to the task, tech-wise... it's not too difficult but rather time-consuming and can be risky if you do it wrong -- is to either install an additional bootable hard drive or set up multiple booting partitions on the same hard drive.

In either case, you would install GS3, your musicmaking apps and a fully tweaked, clean Windows install on one drive/partition, and keep everything else on the other drive/partition.

In any case, the soon-to-be-released GS4 will be more stable than GS3... at the very least, the pulling of QuickSound out of the kernel will make a big difference... I'm sure that there are other things, too, but I don't know what they are...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

One way to get GS3 to work on your one "do-all" computer -- assuming that you're up to the task, tech-wise... it's not too difficult but rather time-consuming and can be risky if you do it wrong --
    Unfortunately, I am not very tech savvy. GVI is working fine for now. Also I only have a P4 and I was very limited on CPU power. For me I believe a new dual core just for GS3 and using the P4 for the host is the way to go.
    Dave M.

Go Back to forum