• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question About Samples On A Hard Drive

Share/Bookmark

Question About Samples On A Hard Drive

My question is . If I have a bunch of samples on my internal drive will that slow down Logic Pro 7 in anyway? And if I put everything to a external drive, do I just move the folders to my external drive and trash the folders on my internal?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Re: Question About Samples On A Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Plus
    My question is . If I have a bunch of samples on my internal drive will that slow down Logic Pro 7 in anyway? And if I put everything to a external drive, do I just move the folders to my external drive and trash the folders on my internal?
    All the sample library companies emphasize that it is much better to have the samples on a separate drive from the "boot" drive where your operating system and programs reside. The separate drive can be a second internal drive or an external drive. There is no need to keep the samples on the boot drive once you've added the second drive. You probably will have to tell your sample playback program where the samples are, but that's not hard for any of the programs that I own.

I have had good results placing samples on separate hard drives, whether internal or external. I used to stream samples for my gigastudio from a Firewire 400 connection (the drive was a Western Digital 7200 RPM drive with an 8 gig buffer). That worked fine for Giga. I mostly use internal 10,000 RPM Western Digital "Raptor" drives now. They work well for me using EWQLSO and other sample-based libraries.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    All the sample library companies emphasize that it is much better to have the samples on a separate drive from the "boot" drive where your operating system and programs reside. The separate drive can be a second internal drive or an external drive. There is no need to keep the samples on the boot drive once you've added the second drive. You probably will have to tell your sample playback program where the samples are, but that's not hard for any of the programs that I own.

I have had good results placing samples on separate hard drives, whether internal or external. I used to stream samples for my gigastudio from a Firewire 400 connection (the drive was a Western Digital 7200 RPM drive with an 8 gig buffer). That worked fine for Giga. I mostly use internal 10,000 RPM Western Digital "Raptor" drives now. They work well for me using EWQLSO and other sample-based libraries.
    Where would I find the Stylus RMS samples folders? And what do I do just move them over?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Plus
    Where would I find the Stylus RMS samples folders? And what do I do just move them over?
    Look for something called "SAGE" -- they are in there on my drives.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG
    You probably will have to tell your sample playback program where the samples are, but that's not hard for any of the programs that I own.
    How is that done? When you open up the instrument in a sound file and it doesn't find them where they usually are does it then ask where they are, and so you direct it there?

Stylus RMX doesn't STREAM samples, therefor keeping them on your system drive will not hurt performance. You want to keep samples that stream from disk on a separate HD. Stuff that loads 100% in ram are fine on your system drive.

p.s. hello again John! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Stylus RMX doesn't STREAM samples, therefor keeping them on your system drive will not hurt performance. You want to keep samples that stream from disk on a separate HD. Stuff that loads 100% in ram are fine on your system drive.

So samples like the East West collection? I have some East West samples so they should be moved to a external HD?

www.plusishiphop.com

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon

Of course you are correct about Stylus -- excellent point. BTW, is Atmosphere the same deal?
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thisman
    How is that done? When you open up the instrument in a sound file and it doesn't find them where they usually are does it then ask where they are, and so you direct it there?
    In my Kontakt 2, that is exactly how it is done, but there is some kind of updating process that at first takes some time (not TOO bad but a few minutes if you need to rebuild a large database).

As I recall, this procedure is pretty obvious once the computer realizes that the samples aren't where it expected -- as you said, it prompts the user and asks where the samples are. Don't forget to save after you are done so it only does this one time.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Go Back to forum