• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Question for Users of Kirk Hunter Ruby

Share/Bookmark

A Question for Users of Kirk Hunter Ruby

OK I've found someone who wants to sell a copy of Ruby - he's forwarded me an email from Kirk saying that it's OK, except that Kirk won't offer support to any purchaser.

The problem is he's selling the original DVD version of Ruby, not the hard drive edition. I can't find any reviews of Ruby in its original form, so I can't tell exactly how much isn't on it. Would I be missing a lot?

Worse, the reviews I've found of the original DVD releases, other than Ruby, suggest that it was very much a work in progress. They stop short of saying 'it shouldn't have been released in this state,' but make it clear that users would need to download a lot of corrected patches, missing wavs, etc. Without support I clearly couldn't do this. So how true was this?

Let's be clear, this wouldn't be my principle orchestra. I just thought it would be nice to have a supplementary set of sounds, and talk of the playability of this library turned my head. It doesn't bother me that I would have no upgrade path, since I only intend keeping one orchestra completely up to date. On the other hand I don't want to buy anything that's not working.

Re: A Question for Users of Kirk Hunter Ruby

From when exactly is the version?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    From when exactly is the version?
    That I don't know, and the guy who's selling it doesn't seem to be home at the moment. He called it VSpro, and said it was on ten DVDs, but didn't mention whether there was more than one release version.

I would contact Kirk directly and see what he has to say about it... Tell him of your concerns... I don't know what price your seller is selling it for, or what platform he's selling it for, but if he's charging anything like $300, I would just buy a new copy of Emerald instead, and I know you would be very happy....

Also, in reference to the original DVD releases, I have the original DVD release of Emerald and there is nothing missing on it... I don't believe there would be anything that horrible about the Ruby release on DVD... Kirk is a very responsible guy and he's not going to release something that is bad... so, I would take those reviews of early releases with a grain of salt... People release software on DVD's everyday and the DVD's work...

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    That I don't know, and the guy who's selling it doesn't seem to be home at the moment. He called it VSpro, and said it was on ten DVDs, but didn't mention whether there was more than one release version.
    Pingu,

then it is the Virtuoso Series Pro, the same I have. Included should be Concert Strings, Concert Brass, Studio Strings, Studio Brass, Solo Strings, Solo Brass, Alto Flute, Bass Clarinet, Timpani Rolls, Harp Glisses. I buyed it for 274 USD as a pre-release sale, after it was released it went up in price to something between 300 and 400 I guess. Upgrading to the current version was uncomplicated via some publicy (sp?) downloadeable files. Ask him which Kontakt script version is included on the DVD, it should be 2.2 which you then can update to 2.3 or 2.4. If it is older then chances are that the sample content is also an older version than I have.

For reference here are two tracks I did with

Concert strings:
    http://www.palmrouter.de/compose/HFr..._012855_03.mp3

Solo strings:
    http://www.palmrouter.de/compose/HFr...ingQuintet.mp3

It has an own sound and philosophy but I like it very much sometimes.

Hope this helps.
    Hannes

I purchased my copy of Ruby DVD edition last September, and it is on twelve DVDs. Maybe his edition is not Ruby but VSpro that was released ahead of Ruby.
    Tatsu
    GPO, Strad & Gofriller, Kirk Hunter Ruby, etc.
    Kontakt2&3, Cubase studio4, Overture4, PC (Win XP, E6850, 4GB RAM), MOTU8282mk3
    Yokohama, Japan

The problem is he's selling the original DVD version of Ruby, not the hard drive edition. I can't find any reviews of Ruby in its original form, so I can't tell exactly how much isn't on it. Would I be missing a lot?
    Most of woodwind solos, all woodwind duets, percussion.

BTW you need Kontakt 2 for running this library.

Thanks Hannes - and great tracks!!

Thanks Hannes - and great tracks!!
    Hannes I have to agree, your use of KH strings is superb..Best, Joseph

Pingu, mech,
    thank you. These just flowed out when doodling around with the strings :-)

Go Back to forum