• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Topic: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Clonewar said on the Multiple PC/DAW topic-
    "I've always hated having to work with slave machines. I've been waiting for Apple to roll out the new Mac Pro, and now that its out I'm going back to the Mac. I'm going to load one of the 'base model' 2.8 ghz 8 core Mac Pros with 16 gigs of ram. I really like working in Logic (but you can run Cubase 4 as well), and now instruments like ESX24 (Logic's built-in sampler), VSL, and EW's PLAY can access all available ram installed in a machine."

    Sorry to start another topic so soon, but I have also been thinking of switching to a MAC for several years. I would like to know from those who have switched how difficult this sort of thing is. If I switched to the MAC version of Cubase would I be able to load all my old projects, asuming I have the same VSTi's, samples, etc. loaded on the MAC also? I'm really curious to know what others have gone through imigrating from PC to MAC.
    _______________________________________
    "I would rather compose than decompose."


    Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com




    Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

    INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.






  2. #2

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Sean:

    I can't answer your Cubase question. I moved from PC Pro Tools to Mac Pro Tools without any problems. I then went over to Logic and Digital Performer. I love both programs! I still use a PC for GigaStudio hooked into my Macs with MIDI over Lan. The system works well for me. I am now a Mac boy through and through. I love the stability of the computer!

    Just my 2 cents!

    Peace

    rikp

  3. #3

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    I think after I switch over to the MAC I will also trade Cubase in for Logic due to the "daisy-chaining" of multiple MAC's for virtually unlimited CPU power. I plan on going for the new 8-core Mac pro with at least 8 gigs of RAM. 5K is a steep price for 1 computer, but the processing power is mind-blowing.
    _______________________________________
    "I would rather compose than decompose."


    Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com




    Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

    INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.






  4. #4

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    I think after I switch over to the MAC I will also trade Cubase in for Logic due to the "daisy-chaining" of multiple MAC's for virtually unlimited CPU power. I plan on going for the new 8-core Mac pro with at least 8 gigs of RAM. 5K is a steep price for 1 computer, but the processing power is mind-blowing.
    I just posted in the other thread too, but this is a better place to talk about the new Macs.

    With the new Mac Pro and lots of ram you really might be able to do it all on the one Mac. A couple of suggestions, DON'T buy the ram upgrade from Apple! Try www.macsales.com, www.transintl.com, www.datamemorysystems.com. All of them have good reputations in the Mac community. My Mac Pro is on order (2.8 ghz) and I'm going to put 16 gigs of ram in it.... for under $800!

    My main orchestral library is EW Platinum Pro.. when its released in PLAY format it will be able to address all available ram on your system from inside of Logic. Logic's ESX24 can do it now (Kirk Hunter anyone?).

    I had a Mac Pro 2.66 quad core and it was extremely powerful, the new one is going to be absolutely insane!

    Logic 8 is really nice too btw..

  5. #5

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    I think after I switch over to the MAC I will also trade Cubase in for Logic due to the "daisy-chaining" of multiple MAC's for virtually unlimited CPU power.....|
    The worst possible reason. Look at the small print.

    D

  6. #6

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    The worst possible reason. Look at the small print.

    D
    What small print? Maybe it was too small for me to even see?
    _______________________________________
    "I would rather compose than decompose."


    Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com




    Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

    INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.






  7. #7

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    I just posted in the other thread too, but this is a better place to talk about the new Macs.

    With the new Mac Pro and lots of ram you really might be able to do it all on the one Mac. A couple of suggestions, DON'T buy the ram upgrade from Apple! Try www.macsales.com, www.transintl.com, www.datamemorysystems.com. All of them have good reputations in the Mac community. My Mac Pro is on order (2.8 ghz) and I'm going to put 16 gigs of ram in it.... for under $800!

    My main orchestral library is EW Platinum Pro.. when its released in PLAY format it will be able to address all available ram on your system from inside of Logic. Logic's ESX24 can do it now (Kirk Hunter anyone?).

    I had a Mac Pro 2.66 quad core and it was extremely powerful, the new one is going to be absolutely insane!

    Logic 8 is really nice too btw..
    Would I be able to access all the RAM I had using Cubase and Kontakt 3 with a MAC pro?
    _______________________________________
    "I would rather compose than decompose."


    Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com




    Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

    INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.






  8. #8

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    What small print? Maybe it was too small for me to even see?
    http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...440#post548440

    D

  9. #9

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    Would I be able to access all the RAM I had using Cubase and Kontakt 3 with a MAC pro?
    Only with multiple standalones.

    D

  10. #10

    Re: Switching from PC DAW to a MAC DAW- just how much of a pain is it?

    I thought Leopard OS was 64 bit? I could swear I heard that Logic users were able to access all the RAM they had within Logic 8? Boy, I guess I need to go take a peek on the Logic forum.
    _______________________________________
    "I would rather compose than decompose."


    Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com




    Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

    INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.






Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •