• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cubase LE and GPO....

Share/Bookmark

Cubase LE and GPO....

Hi All,

I have just discovered the wonders of Cubase with GPO. However I am struggling to control the volume of different instruments when replaying the MIDI file. I thought I could just tweak the sliders in the Mixer window for the relevant instrument.... but I get no change..... I have to alter the master gain or alter the gain in the Kontakt player.... I am sure one should be able to do this via the Mixer window...

Any ideas..... I am probably missing something simple..

Thanks,

Sam

Re: Cubase LE and GPO....

Yes, you are. Garritan products work differently than most others in that the volume of the sound you hear is controlled by the Mod Wheel and not the volume slider. To set an overall level for your track, insert a Mod Wheel event at the beginning of each track with the setting you require and that will get you started with some sound. You then add further Mod Wheel events within each track to make whatever volume changes are necessary wherever they're necessary.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Thanks bmdaustin. However I am very new to this stuff.... and do not really know what a mod wheel is.... Is it the wheel adjuster thing on a keyboard? OK just googled for this and got "A controller, normally mounted at the left end of the keyboard and played with the left hand, that is used for modulation. ..."

I am just running this stuff off a laptop so a little more quidance on this would be hugely appreciated.

When not using Cubase I replay Midi files in my score writing software which can also use GPO's instruments for playback. It also has a nice volume adjuster for each individual instrument, but unfortunately the playback is of a lower quality to Cubase. I seem to get more popping(I currently use the integrated SoundMax laptop soundcard. Perhaps when my Echo Indigo arrives the popping will go away....

So some basic guidance on setting up Cubase LE 1.10 to allow volume adjustments for each track would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by JollySam

When not using Cubase I replay Midi files in my score writing software which can also use GPO's instruments for playback. It also has a nice volume adjuster for each individual instrument, but unfortunately the playback is of a lower quality to Cubase. I seem to get more popping(I currently use the integrated SoundMax laptop soundcard. Perhaps when my Echo Indigo arrives the popping will go away....

Sam
    Hello Sam,

Just out of curiosity which score writing software do you use?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Mike (Another late night UK Musician....),

I use Musitek's SmartScore Pro Version 10... the latest release with integrated GPO. It also fitted my limited budget much better than Sibelius which is fantastic. Now I was careful about naming them(SmartScore) since any popping could be to do with my hardware (HP laptop 2.13GHZ Centrino, "GB RAM on XP SP2 with integrated SoundMax 44.1 soundcard).... I have found it to be very helpful in scanning scores for backing tracks for singing and am now looking to record piano tracks straight into MIDI which will provide better musicality. I have just discovered Cubase LE since it was included with my wonderful Zoom H4 and the sounds etc are fantastic..... but I want to use the wonderful looking mixer with GPO ....

Thanks for your help,

Sam
    Shropshire,UK....

Hello again Sam,

Thanks for the info. I was curious because the quality of the actual 'sound' should be the same whether played back through a notation editor or sequencer. This is more than likely to be caused through latency.

The integrated sound cards provided with most computers are not really up to serious audio work. I'm not familiar with the Echo Indigo but if it's a decent card then you should find that the latency can be adjusted for optimum recording/playback meaning a trade-off between artefact free sound with acceptable latency.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I think latency may have something to do with it.... Certainly with Cubase one can choose the correct ASIO driver, but with SmartScore this does not seems possible.... Well I have not found it yet....

The Echo Indigo is a PRO 24bit/96khz quality PCMCIA card and useful if you want minimal stuff around. Incidentally I have been agonished about getting a seperate USB box like the Tascam US-144, but for now have decided against it....

Thanks again,

Sam

Hi Sam

You can easily draw in the modulation data in Cubase

Here's an easy way

Open your MIDI track in Key Editor (MIDI --> Open Key Editor)

You will have something like this

Click the drop down menu circled in green and you should have something like this

Now you can draw your modulation data in the controller lane with the pen tool. You can use this method for the other MIDI controllers.

Hope this helps.

Sam
    You can also use this method for drawing in other automation.

In the main Project Window, click the "Show/Hide Automation" + sign in the Inspector on your MIDI track (circled in green below)

This will reveal the automation track as can be seen beow. Expand the automation track by left clicking and dragging (circled in green below)

This wil give you something like:

Next, click the "R" (circled) so that it lights up green. The automation track is now ready to read and automation that you draw in.

Try clicking where it says "Volume" for more automation options:

Hope this helps

Go Back to forum