• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yikes! I have to start all over - advice?

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Yikes! I have to start all over - advice?

Well, the last two days my Mac Pro has been acting funky.
    For example - start Safari or Mail, quit them, but they still show active in the dock and they will not start back up. This happens to a few other programs.

Spent two hours with Apple techs and we finally came to the conclusion that I either have to erase my main HD (and reinstall everything) or do an erase and archive and THEN reinstall all non-Apple programs.

So I will be doing an archive and reinstall first.
    This means that I will have to reinstall all Garritan libraries, Kontakt 2, EWQL Platinum, etc. etc.

Do I need to go to NI Service Center and deauthorize each product first?
    Fortunately I have extra hard drives to back it all up.

But it still is a pain.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Yikes! I have to start all over - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic
    Well, the last two days my Mac Pro has been acting funky.
    For example - start Safari or Mail, quit them, but they still show active in the dock and they will not start back up. This happens to a few other programs.

Spent two hours with Apple techs and we finally came to the conclusion that I either have to erase my main HD (and reinstall everything) or do an erase and archive and THEN reinstall all non-Apple programs.

So I will be doing an archive and reinstall first.
    This means that I will have to reinstall all Garritan libraries, Kontakt 2, EWQL Platinum, etc. etc.

Do I need to go to NI Service Center and deauthorize each product first?
    Fortunately I have extra hard drives to back it all up.

But it still is a pain.
    Unless it is different on a Mac, which I doubt, there is no need to deauthorise each product first.

When I reinstalled everything on my PC I just went ahead and installed my GPO and JaBB then followed the on-screen prompts to reauthorise everything. As far as I'm aware I'm not even sure we can deauthorise NI products but I haven't actually checked this .. yet

You will need to enter the serial number of GPO and JaBB etc separately but for the NI Kontakt Player authorisation there is no need to authorise each individual product before installing the next. When you have installed all the products just follow the NI on-screen online registration and you will be able to authorise all products in your account that you have installed in one go.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Well that is good news.
    You know, I was about to clone my hard drive with everything working perfectly as a back up. And then this.

It will all work out.

Thanks for your info.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Well that is good news.
    You know, I was about to clone my hard drive with everything working perfectly as a back up. And then this.

It will all work out.

Thanks for your info.
    err .. if you have the facility to clone then maybe it might be a good idea to do that just in case
    Michael

I would do that, but I would be cloning a system that is flawed and not working very well. I am better off starting fresh I believe.

I would do that, but I would be cloning a system that is flawed and not working very well. I am better off starting fresh I believe.
    I understand.

Well, I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled a few times now and all my authorisations have gone totally smoothly. I have read a few accounts of people finding problems but, personally, I've never experiences any hitches at all.

I just followed the final on-screen online authorisations for the NI products, having installed all the others first, and voilla, everything was listed there; just tick the boxes for all installed products and everything was done and dusted.

Good luck.
    Michael

Thanks Michael - I feel better now - I am going to bed!

Blessings!

Charles

For future reference, (I think) you should never deauthorize a Native Instruments Library, because if you do, you are not allowed to re-authorize it on the same computer. If you do an uninstall, then reinstall, that's fine, and you may have to re-authorize it then, but you can only do that if you have not already unauthorized it (I think).

So if you need to do a reinstall, you should not unauthorize it first, just uninstall it then reinstall it as if it is a new product.

--Richard

The 'Deauthorize' option has been removed from the NI site anyway. I think the new idea is that the service centre keeps track of your installations, and probably automatically deletes all but the two newest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    The 'Deauthorize' option has been removed from the NI site anyway. I think the new idea is that the service centre keeps track of your installations, and probably automatically deletes all but the two newest.
    I think it still keeps a log of it though. I was having some registration issues a while back and the support technician helping me at Native Instruments was astounded by the number of duplicate authorizations I had made for one particular machine.

Go Back to forum