• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ensemble Building Clarinets .. Just 1 Solo Instrument Provided

Share/Bookmark

Ensemble Building Clarinets .. Just 1 Solo Instrument Provided

Hope this is the right place for this question

I understand the concept of avoiding the use of player instruments with the solo instrument from which the player instruments are derived to avoid phasing problems when playing unison.

For example, Oboe 1 Solo for solo work with Oboe Player 1 and/or Oboe Player 2 for ensemble work.

My question involves the clarinets as there is just one Clarinet in Bb Solo instrument with Player 1 and player 2 both, presumably derived from the solo instrument. How would I score this if I wanted solo clarinet with players 1 and 2?

I understand the phasing problem only occurs when the Solo instrument and the Player (ensemble) instrument play in unison and so, theoretically, I could avoid phasing by avoiding writing the clarinets in unison .. er .. I think. But what if I did want unison parts?

Can anyone advise please.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Ensemble Building Clarinets .. Just 1 Solo Instrument Provided

USe the E-flat Clarinet.

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    USe the E-flat Clarinet.
    Yes .. I had thought about that but I prefer the Bb clarinet in this case.

If there is no other option then I would prefer to keep the Bb clarinets and avoid unison .. providing there is no other issue with using an ensemble clarinet with the solo instrument from which it's derived
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Michael,

Disable playback for the solo clarinet during the unison passage and just use plr1 & plr2. The difference between two clarinets and three clarinets in unison at the same dynamic level in terms of volume is inconsequential. And 2 vs. 3 in unison is passably similar texturally.

Go Back to forum