• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Duel

Share/Bookmark

The Duel

The Duel
    2nd Movement of The Last Sunset

A typical sword fight lasts about 3-5 seconds, or 2-3 moves and at that point someone is losing blood. This would be the end of most duels. If the participants are fighting to the death, there might be 2 or 3 of these quick encounters and then someone would be struck with a deadly blow.

Composing a piece of music for such a fight would not take very long since the fight itself doesn't take long. So for the purposes of making a duel last longer, I have written in some rest periods where the 2 combatants are circling each other and deciding what to do.

I have also made each of the brief periods of direct sword play a little longer to enhance the overall story. In my mind the actual sword fighting takes place during the sections where the cellos and the bass are staccato.

Anyway, this is the 2nd movement of The Last Sunset (The Gauntlet was the 1st movement).

Here is The Duel

Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

This was composed in the fall of 2006 in Sib4 and I have changed the Sibelius silver instruments to GPO and JABB instruments and rendered this thru Sonar Home Studio. This is the first piece I have ever ran thru Sonar. I guess it is not really rendered thru Sonar, all I did was run the wav file and add effects with sonar. I have yet to run a midi thru Sonar, but will attempt that soon.

Here is The Gauntlet
    Box.net - Free Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files

All comments are appreciated.

Ron

For anyone interested, here is a score

Re: The Duel

Hey Ron,

Although you were doing so well with a notation-only system, it sounds like you're going to absolutely flourish using your new Sonar (I had a feeling you would!). This sounded really, really good. And, I could totally see the scene.

The last couple of things I've listened to of yours, I've been especially impressed with the way you used the piano. There were some great, angry piano chord stabs in there, particularly towards the end. Nice cello stuff, too.

Another high quality offering, Ron!

Danny

Hey Ron,

You have succeeded nicely with your presentation of The Duel! I believe your work benefits from the quieter areas or rest points; a great break away from the intense action for just a moment - a skilled director's touch to any gripping scene or skilled composer's addition to any masterpiece.

Very nice Ron.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Danny

Thank you as always.

I think this is the best piano writing I have ever done.

I am looking forward to knowing the ins and outs of Sonar.

Michael

Everyone in that other place says this doesn't sound anything like a duel, at least the few that took the time to say anything at all.

I swear that I do the same type of dynamics work on all of my pieces. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sibelius is a crazy program to work with. Sometimes it will read a hairpin and do it, others....?

I am now using Jabb for all of my Brass work. I am really enjoying the Fugalhorn and the Vibraphone is great. Thanks again!!!

Btw Michael, I have now past you in number of posts here...go figure. hehe

This one has always been one of my favorites, and it is nice to have others enjoy it as well.

Thanks guys

Ron

Able work on this, Ron. One of the first things I note
    is the better management of contrast... a crucial element
    in any piece. While there's a quite a bit of intensity
    brought to this, overall; there is at least some exculpation
    from the hyper-activity from time to time in the pace of
    forward motion.

Perhaps you might consider extending the attention to
    contrast by a lesser dependency on the strings, periodically;
    the use of pizzicato in some sections; allowing the free
    reign of the piano part at some points; and other devices
    to bring greater variety to color and to the orchestration
    across the span of the piece.

By the way, who won?

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Able work on this, Ron.
    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    More high praise. You are going to make my ego swell.

Perhaps you might consider extending the attention to
    contrast by a lesser dependency on the strings, periodically;
    the use of pizzicato in some sections; allowing the free
    reign of the piano part at some points; and other devices
    to bring greater variety to color and to the orchestration
    across the span of the piece.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I posted this on Nikolas's site the other day and he said almost the exact same thing. This was the first time I ever composed a piece for piano and orchestra and was learning how to do things. The last movement does have a section for piano only and another for just the Orchestra. I forget about the strings. I have been told in the past that I rely too heavily upon strings and I am sure I do, I just love the sound of them.

By the way, who won?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    I once took a knife to a gun fight, yet I am still around. So I guess that makes me the winner.

I have mainly been working on getting the dynamics right for this update, but will address these issues in time. I really hate hitting the delete button, but I know that it will help.

Thank you my friend

Ron

Lovely listen.
    It floats along nicely. The piano is very energetic, dynamic and full of vitality, I am very impressed at that.
    Great to see the score at the same time. Thanks for sharing.
    I could occasionally want some of that vitality into some of the string parts, but its your choice I guess.

tordenspyd

Thank you. I think I said earlier (I am too lazy to check) that I think that this has some of my best writing for the piano, so I really appreciate that you mentioned that.

I have never really "finished" a piece, so this one still has work to do on it. I also hope to put in some energy into the strings when they play alone in this, so I agree with you on that.

Thanks again

Ron

Hi, Ron - You're today's lucky winner of the One Piece I Have Time To Hear This Afternoon prize.

OH yes - This whole series is the most captivating work I've heard from you, Ron. I really got into The Gauntlet, and now this Duel is just great - I love the piano part right along with you. The chugging Cellos! I'm a sucker for drama, and this is packed with it.

Glad you're taking steps into using your new Sonar program - OH MAN but you Must get to working your MIDI in there. Pains me to hear you complaining about your frustrations with hairpins and notation symbols. Your organic sense of music will respond to the immense flexibility of working with MIDI in a DAW, I just know it will. You've been wanting to break out of the Sib restraints--so Go for it. No complicated tricks to learn - Just open up that Piano Roll View and start working the data!

Great stuff, Ron!

Randy B.

Randy

I just finished the post for the last movement of this and was getting ready to post it, when I noticed you grabbed this one off the 2nd page and brought it back to life. I couldn't stop laughing!!

I knew you had been busy, so I wasn't too concerned and I knew that you would catch the final post.

For these few pieces that I have already created in sib, I figured I would finish them up in sib. I plan on starting a new piece to be completely run thru sonar, or at least the midi thru sonar, soon. I am still learning all of the processes and finding all the info I can, so I won't have to throw my computer out the window when I get pissed off at my ignorance.

Thank you for taking the time out from your schedule to pick me as this afternoon's winner. It means a lot!

Ron

Go Back to forum