• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bourrée - Gofer solo

Share/Bookmark

Bourrée - Gofer solo

A solo for the Gofriller cello:

Bourrée, 4:05, 7.5Mb

Genre........Classical (Baroque – solo cello)
    Composer.....Darwin Kopp
    Comp. date...2006
    Comp. time...a couple days (plus a day to sequence)
    Samples......Garritan Gofriller v1
    Sequencer....Overture
    Reverb.......KP2 Convolution (18th century French salon)
    EQ...........KP2 3-band parametric
    Monitors.....Dynaudio Acoustics BM5
    ..Composition...yes
    ..Performance...yes
    ..Sonics........no

The bourrée, often a component of the Baroque suite, is most typically a lively dance in double time with a quarter bar upbeat. This is actually from a Baroque-style suite in D for solo violin I wrote in 2006. This movement seemed the most technically amenable to the cello, so I dropped it a 12th to the key of G. The form is AABBCCDDAB, with the CCDD moving to the parallel minor.

Re: Bourrée - Gofer solo

Darwin

Composing for a solo instrument can be very demanding. I think you have done a very good jpb. Personally I'd like to hear a few more double stops but then I don't play the cello, so I have no idea how difficult they can be to play.

Perhaps a little more legato as well. But this in no way distracts from your piece.

Well Done

Ron

Darwin,

Excellent writing. I am somewhat familar with the bourrée, and as Ron said, writing for solo instrument is really not an easy task. I really like the low range that is brought out nicely in this work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I think the composition is excellent.

I imagine working in a notation program can be challenging especially with the Strad and Gofriller but it at least gets your ideas across.

Phil

Ron,

Personally I'd like to hear a few more double stops but then I don't play the cello, so I have no idea how difficult they can be to play. Perhaps a little more legato as well. But this in no way distracts from your piece.
    I believe, in very general terms, that the amount of both legato and double stops are inversely proportional to the targeted tempo.
    This is especially true on the faster, more animated, dance style movements like the courante, bourrée, and gigue. As the tempo increases, the playing naturally becomes more détaché and the opportunities for including double stops decrease, as double stops would tend to disrupt forward motion and create additional intonation difficulties.

As much as I lo
    ve continuous smooth legato phrasing and lots of double stops, I just don't think they're particularly idiomatic at higher tempos. It would not be unusual to have very little legato and no double stops at all in the faster movements of a baroque suite. However, for interest's sake, there are double stops (actually triple) in the opening gesture and at the main cadence points, while the A and C sections use more legato, contrasting with the B and D sections which use less.

Gary,

I really like the low range that is brought out nicely in this work.
    I think that can most likely be credited to the incredible beauty of this particular instrument. As indicated in the opening blurb, this was originally written for solo violin, but I suspected it might make for an effective Gofer demo.

Phil,

I imagine working in a notation program can be challenging especially with the Strad and Gofriller but it at least gets your ideas across.
    I think that, on the whole, that is the main goal - getting ideas across. A perfect, ultra-realistic execution, while it would be nice, is an added bonus. I find these instruments very nice to work with in notation. The trick is to eventually learn what the various velocity and expression values sound like and how to apply them musically. There is a learning curve involved with all "new" instruments, I believe, no matter what one's working style. I'm actually pretty happy with how this turned out.

Thanks to each of you for listening and commenting!

Very nicely done, Darwin -- and well written. Keeping
    a solo work like this interesting, holding onto the
    listener, is not easily accomplished.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David,

Keeping a solo work like this interesting, holding onto the listener, is not easily accomplished.
    I think that may be, in part, an outgrowth of making it interesting to play.

Hi, Darwin

There have been surprisingly few (any?) solo Cello works posted here. I sure enjoyed this one! - With the Gary-Go-Round having expanded so many users' arsenals of libraries, maybe we'll be hearing more works featuring solo strings like this.

Thanks for the explanations in your replies - My first thought was wondering if more Legato would have been appropriate or not. I see what you mean about the constant detache style of playing, it certainly sounds right.

Admirable composition, and so effectively rendered - Thanks!

Randy B.

Hi Darwin,

Hurray for your Bourrée! (sorry, couldn't resist ).

Seriously, I found this to be amazingly "real", just an awesome performance showcasing the capabilities of the Gofriller extremely well. Compositionally, it interested all the way through, section by section; quite an achievement with that aspect as well.

I know that you prefer no comments on the sonics of your works; but, IF I DID comment -- it would be all really good stuff.

Great job, Darwin. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this (although now I'm a little intimidated to try out my own new Gofriller! ).

Danny

Hi Darwin,

A wonderful piece here!!
    It really does sound realistic and the emotionm of the piece really came through.
    Thanks for posting this!!

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast