• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Full GPO & Finale 2008 Sudden loss of dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Full GPO & Finale 2008 Sudden loss of dynamics

I have a strange problem. Without any signs added on the score, some instruments get a kind of decrescendo effet. I playback without any HP data but still the decrescendi remain...Thanks for your help.

Re: Full GPO & Finale 2008 Sudden loss of dynamics

Quote Originally Posted by ash747
    I have a strange problem. Without any signs added on the score, some instruments get a kind of decrescendo effet. I playback without any HP data but still the decrescendi remain...Thanks for your help.
    Hello ash747,

I use Finale 2008 with GPO. Can you give me an example of an instrument that does this and I'll try it out.

Instruments do have a natural decay and I'm wondering if it's this you are hearing.

Anyway, give me an example and I'll have a look at it.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Did you copy the notes from an imported midi perhaps? I don't know how it works but occasionally when I do so mysterious "hidden dynamics" within the midi seems to be transferred into the new document.

otherwise I'm clueless
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Well, its an orchestral score, I get this effect especially at trumpets. For a given orchestral playing the dynamic suddenly goes from mf to ppp. I found that Finale is good for orchestral score editors but not for I expected. I'll appreciate If someone could inform me about a decent software that permits me to write scores and makes them play correctly. So much loose of time with bugs. With a pencil and paper I was writing much more...I'm not a computer ingeneer neither...Thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Hello ash747,

I use Finale 2008 with GPO. Can you give me an example of an instrument that does this and I'll try it out.

Instruments do have a natural decay and I'm wondering if it's this you are hearing.

Anyway, give me an example and I'll have a look at it.

I do not understand the term "imported midi". Can you explain what you mean please. I have Finale, GPO full and a MOTU sound card.

Without seeing your Finale file, my guess would be that you have some type of midi expression entered into the trumpets, which cause the volume change. Finale & HP does a great job of playback, but midi data which is placed into the score accidentally can cause many problems.

If you post this problem at the Finale forum, you can attach your Finale file to your post. This will help someone find your problem.

http://forum.makemusic.com/

JT

Well, its an orchestral score, I get this effect especially at trumpets. For a given orchestral playing the dynamic suddenly goes from mf to ppp. I found that Finale is good for orchestral score editors but not for I expected. I'll appreciate If someone could inform me about a decent software that permits me to write scores and makes them play correctly. So much loose of time with bugs. With a pencil and paper I was writing much more...I'm not a computer ingeneer neither...Thanks anyway
    Hello again ash,

Okay, I'll try and see if I can reproduce the effect you describe with the trumpets. I'll try entering notes with no dynamics and Human Playback disabled and see what happens.

Personally speaking, there is no better notation editor than Finale 2008 for playing back your scores. I understand your frustration and once we find what the problem is I'm sure you will be as pleased with it as I am. I have used Finale for many years and have been very happy with it.
    Michael

Right .. I've had a go and this is what happened:

First, just to confirm, I am also using Finale 2008.

I created a new score using the Setup Wizard and added a single instrument of Trumpet Player 1. With this I tried with and without Human Playback (HP) and with and without dynamics. Here are mp3 files of the results:

(1) Trumpet Player 1 no dynamics and HP disabled.

With (1) there is no fade at all. The note remains constant.

(2) Trumpet Player 1 no dynamics with HP set at 'Standard'.

With (2) there is a fade out.

(3) Trumpet Player 1 with crescendo marking but no HP.

With (3) the result is about the same as (1) with no real fade.

(4) Trumpet Player 1 with crescendo and diminuendo with HP 'Standard'.

With (4) there is a nice crescendo and decrescendo.

I added an extra note in (4) so I could demonstrate a crescendo and decresendo. This is a very brief and simple demonstration of how Finale can interpret and playback a score. It is capable of far more complicated, diverse and wonderful things and is capable of interpreting and playing back quite complex scores very accurately.

Does any of the examples above match what you are finding?
    Michael

Hi

Two suggestions.

1) Most sustained instruments will have a decrescendo effect on long notes. This is an option that can be turned off in the HP Preferences

2) Post a link to to your file so that others can have a look at it. If the file is commercially sensitive, post a link to an extract which is exhibiting the same behaviour.

and a question

Have you updated your version of Finale to 2008a?

Cheers...

Daz :0)

ash isn't the only one to have this problem. But I have to add that for me this problem shows up in works that have been written in a previous version of Finale (I use 2008 also) and then go thru the conversion process when opened in 2008. No matter how much I "fiddle" with the dynamics, I can not override the loss of dynamics. I've tried deleting and re-adding the dynamic markings but nothing works, with or without HP.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Go Back to forum