• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is Hollywood's End Near?

Share/Bookmark

Is Hollywood's End Near?

Well-known Hollywood publicist thinks so according to this report:
    Longtime Hollywood publicist Julian Myers will turn 90 soon. And he worries the end may be near ... for Hollywood.

Myers frets that the WGA stalemate -- with all of its acrimony, vitriol and job losses -- is a harbinger of ill things for the industry.

"The strike impasse is speeding the end of Hollywood filmmaking and television production," says Myers, who has been working in the biz since 1939 and is still an IATSE member. "There are more union contracts coming up for renewal, and already unionists are crossing union lines. IATSE is urging its members to go right on through. Insults are being exchanged, faces will be bashed and fatalities are a possibility."

...Now, with tensions again running high, Myers worries that the town might be consumed.

"Does a dying Hollywood need a civil war today to hasten its erosion?" he asks.
    What would happen if Hollywood entertainment really "died?" What would happen to the "Hollywood sound"? Would Hollywood music be relegated to the dust bin? Independent filmmakers may flourish, TV viewership would decline and interet viewership increased. But what ever will the big-name celebrities do?

Re: Is Hollywood's End Near?

I guess that the big name Hollywood celebrities may have to go out and get "normal" jobs. Can't you just hear Sean Penn asking, "Do you want fries with that?"

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    ...But what ever will the big-name celebrities do?
    They'll be adopted by Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

What's a hollywood ?

Quote Originally Posted by vivmarsh
    What's a hollywood ?

Big celebrities wouldn't really need to do much since they already have more money than they'll need. But my guess is that they'd at least try to keep making movies themselves if they want to keep their fame... and wouldn't have to do much work to build up an audience since they're already famous.

It would be kind of nice if Hollywood died, but even if it did, it would just be replaced. But at least if it died I'd have a better chance of being part of that replacement!

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

look at those three beautiful Chevys, 57, 61, 55...

Oh!..... Sean's in this picture let's go see it...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Big celebrities wouldn't really need to do much since they already have more money than they'll need. But my guess is that they'd at least try to keep making movies themselves if they want to keep their fame... and wouldn't have to do much work to build up an audience since they're already famous.

It would be kind of nice if Hollywood died, but even if it did, it would just be replaced. But at least if it died I'd have a better chance of being part of that replacement!
    This about covers it. The movie industry isn't going to die. Hollywood may die, but something else would take its place and movies would keep getting made.

The strike is a terrible thing right now. It's pretty much the equivalent of a natural disaster. People are dropping off left and right! All the major studios are cutting back; Warner Bros. handed out 1,000 pink slips on Thursday, and even independent / non-union are faced with lay-offs. Many production personnel, grips, lighting guys, carpenters, painters have been out of work since November. Like them, I fall into the category of "below the line," where, as an innocent bystander, my business is negatively affected by the strike, despite having no particular part or side in it.

My crew took a 25% cutback last week and in about a month, I'm probably going to be laid off too. Three guys said they are about 6 weeks away from having to sell their house. Some people I've talked to are looking at losing EVERYTHING; just a matter of time.

I really hope they start talking and come to an agreement.

In other happy news, I'm working on my first independent feature (using GPO!!!) and hopefully that takes off like gangbusters. We just finished mixing the Main Titles last night and I'm so excited. My scoring mixer did an amazing job. A small bit of good news in this dark time.

Go Back to forum