• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: -MOUNT PELION (3rd Mvt.)

Share/Bookmark

-MOUNT PELION (3rd Mvt.)

This is the 3rd movement of a symphonic band piece – Mount Pelion -- originally started as a pretty involved demo project for the CMB library. You can still hear the 2nd movement in the CMB section of the Garritan website, and I’m pretty sure I posted the 1st movement here some time ago.

This 3rd movement – The Alodae: Assault Upon the Gods -- has been fermenting in Finale file since October, and I finally finished Garritanizing it in Sonar using CMB along with some GPO instruments.

Just a little background: The Alodae were giant twins in Greek mythology who decided one day to pile Mt. Ossa on top of Mt. Pelion to reach Olympus and conquer all those Greek gods up there. I perused this story just a little bit, but the impression I somehow ended up with was one of a couple of overgrown, petulant, boorish, selfish, dangerously innocuous, not-too-bright buffoons… kind of like José and Ozzie Canseco. The Greek gods in Olympus were none too admirable themselves at times, but it’s still a good thing (I think) they won this battle.

This is just a musical suggestion of what their conflict may have entailed before being killed by Zeus' arrows: sleuthing, sneaking, conniving, some god-style fisticuffs, brief false victories, momentary serenity, some femininity and female wiles (since there WERE female gods as well… and Aphrodite was a hottie – at least in the movies!) with the gods ultimately prevailing at the end.

This is the mp3: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Pelion3.mp3

Here’s the score if you’d like to take a look: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Pelion3.pdf

The first two mvts. from long, long ago: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Pelion1.mp3
    http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Pelion2.mp3

Thanks for listening!

Danny

Re: -MOUNT PELION (3rd Mvt.)

Yes, I can imagine all this happening with this music. It's full of energy and changes.

I can tell it's a symphonic piece and not cinematic so the music really stands on it's own without a story but also communicates the just of the legend.

I can tell you put a lot of time and energy into this large serious work.

Great job on it!

Phil

Hey Danny,

Very effective work. I can picture the colossal struggle and enjoyed the humorous fumbling of the giants. It lightly reminds me of an old 70's film about the Greek gods - the name escapes me right now. Overall very grand with epic touches and a powerful finale. Great work!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Giant dimwitted twins, you say? My heavens!

I reveled in this, Danny -- once again, expert work with the
    C/MB, bringing forth a movement that would, likewise,
    absolutely shine in live performance.

The humor in this I particularly enjoyed, that quizzical,
    quirky flip of wit -- reminds me of the tongue-in-cheek
    remedies in the scoring for the old Robert Conrad series,
    The Wild Wild West.

Nice work on the score as well, my friend -- I always
    appreciate looking over the paper goods while I'm
    listening!

Always my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Yes, I can imagine all this happening with this music. It's full of energy and changes.

I can tell it's a symphonic piece and not cinematic so the music really stands on it's own without a story but also communicates the just of the legend.

I can tell you put a lot of time and energy into this large serious work.

Great job on it!

Phil
    Thanks, Phil, for those comments. If this ever reaches a live performance stage where any story line is told entirely through the music, it's nice to see that you feel it "stands on its own". That's important!

Thanks again for taking the time to listen.

Danny

Danny

I listened to this last night, but had to wait until today to comment so that I could listen to all 3 in order.

I think one of the things I enjoy most about composing is when someone writes more than one movement, where each is able to stand on its own and yet, each is related to the other, which makes the entire piece seem more fufilling.

You have does this masterfully.

I did enjoy this last offering the most out of the 3, but each one is very good in its own right.

My favorite part of any piece is always the Strings, so I am usually not a fan of bands, However, in this work, I do not miss the strings at all and that is saying a lot!

Are there going to be more movements?

Very well done!!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Hey Danny,

Very effective work. I can picture the colossal struggle and enjoyed the humorous fumbling of the giants. It lightly reminds me of an old 70's film about the Greek gods - the name escapes me right now. Overall very grand with epic touches and a powerful finale. Great work!

Michael
    I've seen that movie, too, Michael. A really corny one, right? I can see how this piece reminds you of it.

Thanks very for listening and offering the kind compliments!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    The humor in this I particularly enjoyed, that quizzical,
    quirky flip of wit -- reminds me of the tongue-in-cheek
    remedies in the scoring for the old Robert Conrad series,
    The Wild Wild West.
    Thanks, David; that's a pretty complimentary comparison. I loved The Wild, Wild West (every Friday night, remember?...just before The Flinstones, I think. Those were the days!). I'm sure some of that music is snared up somewhere in my atrophying brain synapses!

Nice work on the score as well, my friend -- I always
    appreciate looking over the paper goods while I'm
    listening!
    And thanks for mentioning the score. I was in labor forever with this one! Page layout and size became problematic in places, so it took quite an effort to get it in presentable form for here (and, hopefully, for some publishers here and there).

I ALWAYS appreciate your responses, David. Thanks!

Danny

That's some masterful writing, Mr. Danny! I thoroughly enjoyed all five minutes and seventeen seconds of it. It really runs the gamut of musical emotions.

You have pretty much mastered the Concert and Marching Band sample library. Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks for posting your fine music.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Great work, Danny.

Enjoyed how the music escalated competition between
    the main characters. Percussion was very helpful with
    this and you employed it well.

Some great writing here, Danny and the sound was first
    class.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer
    Danny

I listened to this last night, but had to wait until today to comment so that I could listen to all 3 in order.

I think one of the things I enjoy most about composing is when someone writes more than one movement, where each is able to stand on its own and yet, each is related to the other, which makes the entire piece seem more fufilling.

You have does this masterfully.

I did enjoy this last offering the most out of the 3, but each one is very good in its own right.

My favorite part of any piece is always the Strings, so I am usually not a fan of bands, However, in this work, I do not miss the strings at all and that is saying a lot!

Are there going to be more movements?

Very well done!!!

Ron
    Hi, Ron, thanks very much for responding! I have to admit, I'm with you on the strings thing. Being a trombone player all through school, there was rarely an opportunity to play orchestral music -- ordinarily just the usual band stuff. I developed and and still suffer from a serious case of "orchestra envy". On the other hand, band literature can definitely be spectacularly beautiful and dramatic -- and it really hasn't enjoyed its just due.

I'm glad you enjoyed the third movement in particular; it was the most difficult to deal with and I still have more than just a few issues with my rendering of it.

As for more movements... in spite of my rigorous Metamucil regimen, I don't think so.

Thanks as always for your kind words, Ron... I appreciate it very much!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast