• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any users of Record Producer?

Share/Bookmark

Any users of Record Producer?

Are there any users of Record Producer Deluxe out there? I've been a user of both Garritan Personal Orchestra and Record Producer Deluxe for quite a while. Though I know that programs like Cubasis VST 4 (which came with GPO) and Sonar are better in the long run, RPD with GPO have worked fine together for me for a long time (along with Garritan Jazz & Big Band). It takes very little time for me to lay down a track, edit it and mix music to an audio track. And to honest, I just don't have a lot of time to learn a whole new sequencing program. However, I recently bought Garritan's Concert & Marching Band which only uses the new Kontakt 2 player, so I upgraded both GPO & JABB to Kontakt 2. Unfortunately I am no longer able to get Kontakt 2 to work as a stand-alone player with RPD like Kontakt 1 did (RPD accepts no plug-ins). Kontakt 2 does, however, work fine on Finale 2007. The specs of my computer are as follows: 1 year old HP Dual-Core running at 2.80 GHz, Windows XP Media Edition, 3 gig of ram and an M-Audio 2496 card. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary

Re: Any users of Record Producer?

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician
    Are there any users of Record Producer Deluxe out there? I've been a user of both Garritan Personal Orchestra and Record Producer Deluxe for quite a while. Though I know that programs like Cubasis VST 4 (which came with GPO) and Sonar Unfortunately I am no longer able to get Kontakt 2 to work as a stand-alone player with RPD like Kontakt 1 did (RPD accepts no plug-ins).

Gary
    To understand better, you was using RPD and the "GarritanStudio" program together, and now you dont know how to use Kontakt player in standalone way?
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    To understand better, you was using RPD and the "GarritanStudio" program together, and now you dont know how to use Kontakt player in standalone way?
    Well, I thought I knew how. I had been using the two programs together without a hitch. Right now I do not get any response from Kontakt 2. On the midi output of RPD, I can choose between the Delta AP Midi or the GPO Studio 1-8. If I try choosing any of the GPO settings I used to use, I get a prompt that says "the specified device is already in use" (that's if I start Kontakt Player 2 before I start RPD). I have poured over all the info that came with the Concert & Marching Band regarding the Kontakt 2 player, but I can't find any setting that I can change to make Kontakt usable with RPD. Any thoughts?

Gary

Hey Serenity,

That's a quick fix, actually. Search online for either Maple Midi Tools or Midi Yoke. These programs will install a set of virtual midi cables that you can use to send messages from RPD to KP2. The GPO Studio ports are the same thing, only their output is fixed to the Studio application.

Once you get Maple/MidiYoke installed, on the standalone version of KP2 select File>Setup. Under the MIDI tab, enable whatever ports you're broadcasting on from RPD. You can have four receiving ports (A through D) available, and these will be the first four enabled from the top, in top-down order.

One of KP2's drawbacks is that it cannot record audio directly. Once you've finished your work in RPD with the standalone, you'll need to use another program to record the computer's Audio output. I think Goldwave or similar programs will be able to do this.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks so much, Reegs! I will work on this tonight and let you know how it works. Take care.

Gary

Hey Reegs!

That worked great! I sure appreciate the tip. I downloaded the Maple Midi Tools and that seems to do the trick. I was able to record audio tracks, but the result was not so great. Sounded like a very scratchy old LP, even if I used Record Producer-Advanced Audio Editor. Well, at least this way I can hear what it is I'm working on. I'll figure something out. Thanks, once again, for the help.

Gary

Sounded like a very scratchy old LP
    That sound problem is related to the latency/buffer cache of your audio card. You need to set a longer latency time (in milli-seconds) or smaller buffer cache, whichever is how your card handles latency issues. I don't know the M-Audio cards but I am sure there is a latency adjustment in there setup files.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks Rich! I will give that a try tonight.

Gary

Rich,

That took care of it. Dropped the cache down a bit and not more snaps, cracks or pops. In fact, I haven't heard this program sound this good ever. Sure saves me a ton of time learning a new sequencing program. Someday I will, but just not now. Retirement! Ah, retirement! Work is just getting in the way of having fun! Thanks all of you for your great help!

Gary

I'm glad you are up and running smoothly!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum