• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz

Share/Bookmark

Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz

I must be hallucinating. I could have sworn that I read something this weekend about how people have starting playing DSoM as the soundtrack to The Wizard and it worked. The postings I've seen said to start the Pink Floyd just after the MGM lion roar. Apparently "Us and Them" kicks off during the flying monkey scene.

Anyone done this or something crazier?

dave

Re: Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz

I have done this.

It doesn't line up perfectly, but some alignments are entertaining.

Anybody who says that Pink Floyd did this on purpose is dreaming. Even really bad productions sync their hit points better than this! If it was intended, they would have nailed it.

I highly recommend doing this if you have nothing else to do (and possibly a large store of alcohol handy). It's quite entertaining.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

this is true, and i don't see how its just a coincidence at all. every year at my old college they played this at the school movie theater. you have to start it at a certain lions roar (maybe the third) of the mgm logo.

it literally lines up perfectly, and i really think that its just way too perfect to be a coincidence. granted, the cd isn't half as long as the movie, but until the cd ends its perfect.

the second song (the weird keyboard/electronic one) starts exactly when dorothy falls in with the pigs, then stops the second she gets out. the money song (with the cash register sounds and so forth) is when the lady who ends up playing the witch is riding her bike (and it mimics the sounds perfectly). when the house lands in oz and all the munchcins are walking around is when the track with all the talking is taking place. the lunatic in the grass song starts exactly when you first see the scarecrow. there are tons more, i only saw it once and it was about 4-5 years ago, but i think its definitely true, and if not it has to be the most amazing coincidence ever.

i feel like pink floyd didn't tell anybody, and one day after a show they were hanging out with their buddies (under the influence i'm sure) and said, "hey guys, guess what we did...", and thats how it had to have come out.

i do realize that they officially say its a load, and even stated that it wouldn't have been possible to sync it up in the studio, but i really find that hard to believe. i guess its one of those things that we'll never really know, but its fun to watch once just to say you did it.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I have done this.

It doesn't line up perfectly, but some alignments are entertaining.

Anybody who says that Pink Floyd did this on purpose is dreaming. Even really bad productions sync their hit points better than this! If it was intended, they would have nailed it.
    +1 I have a DIVX of this laying around and I've watched bits of it. Like you say, interesting and amusing but coincidental alignments. One thing no one mentions is that it's hard to maintain your interest watching it all the way through. I'm usually bored after 15 minutes or so. Wizard of Oz and Dark Side of the Moon are both far better apart than combined!

--!---Dave, where ya been buddy? This news is 20 years old! lol---OK, so you're a youngster. Amusing thing though, isn't it?

"Wired" magazine did a funny parody of this recently--I should dig that out and post some of it. With tongue firmly in cheek, the writer was saying that other amazing synchronicities occur with other very unlikely pairings - all totally off the wall of course.

Whoever started this Oz thing had a great imagination which was undoubtedly greatly altered at the time when he had the revelation -but still the spooky thing is that everyone else sees the same coincidences as whoever started this. Hence the word "synchronicity" is good--because when there are really remarkable coincidences, they actually Do transcend our understanding of logic.

Pink Floyd definitely didn't do this by design - but that's not the whole story. It's much like the Paul Is Dead panic Waaay back when - The Beatles seemed to have left such a vivid bread crumb trail of evidence that Paul had died in a car accident and had been replaced by the winner of a look-alike contest - But that long list of "clues" was and is pretty amazing to look at, even though it was pure randomness in actuality. Very odd synchronicity in those random things.

Kind of like seeing a face on Mars when the sun is angled Juuuuust right on that particular group of mountains on the planet. We can all see the face, but we know it's not there since it disappears when the sun changes angle. But what are the odds that features in the terrain would so perfectly form a face? It's peculiar but explainable at the same time.

There ya go!

Randy B.

Not sure about the parody in "Wired," but the "Movies Rock" supplement to "New Yorker" magazine recently proposed these movie/album pairings:

Gone With The Wind (1939) + Revolution Of The Mind: Live At The Apollo, Vol. 3 (James Brown, 1971) = a good match.

Idiocracy (2006) + Oops! ... I Did It Again (Britney Spears, 2000) = no match (kinda makes me wonder what movie would be a good match for this album ...).

Last Tango in paris (1972) + All-Time Greatest Hits (Barry White, 1994) = excellent match.

The commentary that goes with each pairing is great! For example:
    Last Tango In Paris: When Brando and Schneider first face each other, eyes locked, White sings, "I'm never gonna give you up." Brando grabs her. "Keep right on doin' it," sings White as the strangers kiss. Brando rips off Schneiders' stockings. What does White have to say about this? "Right on."
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    --!---Dave, where ya been buddy? This news is 20 years old! lol---OK, so you're a youngster. Amusing thing though, isn't it?
    Not quite a youngster, but I guess I don't get out as much as I used to

But on the subject of Pink Floyd, in mid November I went to the Fox Theater here in Atlanta to see Australian Pink Floyd. While billed as a cover band, that label doesn't do them justice. They were fantastic. According to their web site, they are kicking off the European part of their tour soon (http://www.aussiefloyd.com).

I highly recommend them. You will see lots of older guys with grey hair and beards, etc. in the audience.

In Atlanta, they play the entire "Wish You Were Here" album on Sat night, took a 20 min break, then played for 1 1/2 hours more doing things all the way back to the 60s (Set the controls for the heart of the sun and One of these Days [from Echos, early 70s]). On Sunday night, they played "Dark Side of the Moon" then part 2 of the show.

BTW, they did the part of DSOTM with the girls vocal solos. Their girls got a standing ovation. A really good concert. I particularly liked 'Pigs' off the Animals album.

dave

i was actually lucky enough to see Pink Floyd in concert at Soldier Field in Chicago. i was pretty young, and all i knew about them was that my dad did the lighting for them for a few years. my mom told me, you'll thank me for taking you to this one day - and oh man did i. it was the wall tour, and the entire time there was a movie playing on stage, gigantic bloody balloon pigs with flood lights for eyes head-banging, fire shooting out everywhere, and a huge disco ball in the middle of the stadium on top of tons of other things.

the memories...
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I saw the Wall concert at the LA Sports Arena. Classic.

When waiting in line there were some "religious" people there telling everybody not to see the show, because it was the work of the devil. Glad I didn't take their advise! (I guess they couldn't get tickets...)

Go Back to forum