• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine - Sax Quartet with Organ

Share/Bookmark

Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine - Sax Quartet with Organ

Gabriel Faure composed the lovely "Cantique de Jean Racine" circa 1865 for mixed chorus and organ at the age of 19. The text is a paraphrase by Jean Racine and is very likely the most performed work of Faure.

Here I have arranged it for saxophone quartet (SATB). It is scored in Finale 2006 and uses the CMB solo Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Baritone saxophones as well as the GPO organ flute and corent stops.

http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Cant...artetOrgan.mp3

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine - Sax Quartet with Organ

Gary,

Awesome!!

I'm sure you realize by now that I'm a big fan of your sax quartet arrangements and transcriptions. This one I was really taken with! It sounds like you're getting more and more into the nuances of the sax settings and controls in CMB, which made this very, very realistic. Great choices on the reverb settings, too. In fact, I listened twice: once sitting in front of my speakers as usual, but then I cranked it up a little and sat in the living room (adjacent to my music office). It sounded like I was sitting in a room next to the main sanctuary -- listening to a live quartet and organ! Just a great job on this, Gary! I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Gary,

Awesome!!

I'm sure you realize by now that I'm a big fan of your sax quartet arrangements and transcriptions. This one I was really taken with! It sounds like you're getting more and more into the nuances of the sax settings and controls in CMB, which made this very, very realistic. Great choices on the reverb settings, too. In fact, I listened twice: once sitting in front of my speakers as usual, but then I cranked it up a little and sat in the living room (adjacent to my music office). It sounded like I was sitting in a room next to the main sanctuary -- listening to a live quartet and organ! Just a great job on this, Gary! I'm impressed!
    Danny,

Thanks for your kind comments. There is no question that some works transcribe better than others. And this is one that absolutely does. The long sustained phrases allow the saxophones to sing and exploit their beauty. The underlying work is so lovely to begin with. The coloring and bending of chords through transitions in the original work has always impressed me. So it seemed fairly natural that this should transcribe to other instruments. I have also transcribed his work for trombone choir and organ and it equally as impressive.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

I enjoyed this arrangement with the saxophones.

I have this on CD arranged with a soprano soloist, male choir and orchestra. It was a cross over effort.

The contrast between the two is interesting. I'm sure yours is truer to the composers intent.

I hope it is performed live.

Phil

This is an incredibly beautiful piece of music. I enjoyed your arrangement very much. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I enjoyed this arrangement with the saxophones.

I have this on CD arranged with a soprano soloist, male choir and orchestra. It was a cross over effort.

The contrast between the two is interesting. I'm sure yours is truer to the composers intent.

I hope it is performed live.

Phil
    Phil,

I am glad that you enjoyed the work. Wow...soprano solo, I don't understand how that could work since the original composition is in 4 parts. And they are tightly related to make it work.

I am hoping that this is performed someday as well.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    This is an incredibly beautiful piece of music. I enjoyed your arrangement very much. Thank you.
    LoiseD,

Thanks I am glad that you enjoyed it. I have always loved the original work and have set it to several different forms. I have found each one very pleasing.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thumbs up Re: Faure - Cantique de Jean Racine - Sax Quartet with Organ

It's beautiful Gary!! I love it, i would have never thought of arranging this with Saxaphones, they sure do it well.

I have one of this arranged with piano, strings and brass, but with tempo a tad bit faster than your arrangement. I thought that i had heard it with brass and strings the first time i heard it, but so long ago not sure. What i have sounds much like what i think i recall, i'll post it it when i finish tweaking.

So far i love everything you have done with the Sax Quartet, thanks so much for posting these and showing us what the sax can sound like.

David

Wow. Organ and saxophones, my least favorite instruments, all put together!

For something composed with such instruments, it's really good. Everything pretty much fits in nicely to get a pretty good sound. Well at good as you can get with those instrumnets....

You should use better instruments next time....like tromobone...or even English or French horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    It's beautiful Gary!! I love it, i would have never thought of arranging this with Saxaphones, they sure do it well.

I have one of this arranged with piano, strings and brass, but with tempo a tad bit faster than your arrangement. I thought that i had heard it with brass and strings the first time i heard it, but so long ago not sure. What i have sounds much like what i think i recall, i'll post it it when i finish tweaking.

So far i love everything you have done with the Sax Quartet, thanks so much for posting these and showing us what the sax can sound like.

David
    David,

So glad that you enjoyed it. There are quite a few arrangements of this out there. Definately some better than others. I have also set this for trombone choir and organ.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast