• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Request for References

Share/Bookmark

Request for References

Hi folks,

I have a favor to ask. I am trying to put together a pamphlet of some sort to introduce conductors of various ensembles to me and my music, since ultimately what I've been writing is geared toward live performance, and I'm just beginning to send out scores. Since I have no official credentials (eg music degree, etc) I would be very grateful for any brief sentences of recommendation that any of you on the forum might care to offer, especially those of you most familiar with my music. Something short, simple and honest (eg "Lunatic with a knack for music and limericks" or something like that ).

If this is something you feel moved to do, I would be most grateful if you could send me, via email (ke_peace@msn.com),
    1) your full name,
    2) a brief few recommendation words,
    3) a brief title or description of your experience/degree/job/credentials -- whatever would most make a conductor of a classical ensemble take note (examples:, "composer", "God of Music", "PhD Music, Juillard", "film orchestrator", "Principal Flautist with (ensemble)", "Professor of Music (with school)", "Composer-in-residence (with location/group)", etc) and
    4) a website if you have one and if you'll permit me to list that with your name.

I would be most grateful. Whatever you say should be something you feel totally comfortable saying about my music, knowing it will be sent to professional conductors.

I am only at this point because of the support and mentorship of many people, including many on this forum. For all you have given me -- knowledge, time, advice, listening, encouragement and a sense of community -- my deepest gratitude.

Happy New Year and good luck in Orchestration Challenge #15!!!

Karen

Re: Request for References

ps. if you prefer, you can also post it here, whatever is more convenient for you....

Karen,

I would be happy to write some words on your behalf (hope it can wait until after NAMM).

It's a bold thing you are doing putting yourself out there. I hope great opportunities arise from your efforts.

All the best,

Gary

Thank you so much Gary! Oh yes, it can wait! Wish I could make it to NAMM, but hopefully I will eventually. Best of luck there!
    Karen

Hi Karen:
    I like what you have done, and believe that you have many gifts to give. You might do well to network with those players in your own town as well,,,one that I know of is Cedra Kuhn,,,,principal cellist colorado springs symph. She and her Husband Dan were great friends of mine for a number of years, (Dan is trumpet in CSO) They would be a good source and knowlegeable about the opportunitites in your area.
    Good luck and best wishes
    John

John,

thank you for the tip, and I shall certainly contact her. Could you tell me your full name so that I can tell her who referred me to her? (IE. is your name John Taylor-Chandler?).

I am just in the next couple of days sending "the trickster" to the Chamber Orchestra of the Springs, which as you may already know, is related to the Philharmonic. When I used to be in the Colorado Springs Chorale, we sang the Mozart and Brahms Requiems and Handel's Messiah with the symphony, so perhaps I have seen your friend before (I remember in the Mozart one cellist had the phrase "anger!" (for the Dies Irae movement) written or taped to the floor in front of her -- I think it was the principal, but am not sure (was a few years ago).

Thanks again John!

Best wishes,
    Karen

Karen:

My many years in academia has well prepared me for writing letters of recommendation so I will be most happy to nominate you for music sainthood in the most glowing of terms. I will e-mail you anon or ASAP, which ever comes first.

sos

oh boy now i'm really blushing... thank you Steve -- it need not be a whole letter -- though that might come in handy too if it is not alot of trouble. for the flyer, I'll just select a few words or phrases. I'm grateful for any/all words from you, Steve. Just don't make them so glowing that I can't live up to them !!

Karen, you're very gifted and i find your music inspires me in my study of music. I don't think it is very likely you would not be able to live up to what he writes. I wish i would have already had obtained some standing or background that would position me for such a recommendation for you, but those are some awesome ones you have now and i have learned another cool lesson from you.

David

Hi Karen,

I'd be happy to help out in any way I can! I'll email you privately so that we can discuss what works best for you.

I'm so excited for you with all that lies ahead, and deeply admire your initiative!

Best regards,

Ken
    (RustyCrook)

Go Back to forum