• Register
  • Help

Topic: ppp to fff?

Share/Bookmark

ppp to fff?

Is it me or does JABB not go dynamically from loud to soft but only audio volume wize. I'm not really hearing soft to loud dynamics using the mod wheel. (soft and loud samples)

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks-
    Tom

Re: ppp to fff?

Quote Originally Posted by landford
    Is it me or does JABB not go dynamically from loud to soft but only audio volume wize. I'm not really hearing soft to loud dynamics using the mod wheel. (soft and loud samples)

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks-
    Tom
    Do you miss change in timbre or does the modwheel not have an effect?

I can change the dynamics with the modwheel here.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Sorry, self-expression on these boards is sometimes a bit funky. My mod wheel with JABB works fine - yes it gets louder and softer. But, you hit it on the head, I don't feel too much timbre change. It's as if someone is blowing fairly hard and the the mod wheel is making it louder and softer - instead of someone blowing louder or softer.

Anyone else experience this? Or should I be using CC# 2 or CC #11??

Appreicate any feeback.

Tom

I agree. The full range of timbral shift isn't there that I can tell either. I also don't hear much change in attack no matter what the velocity setting is. Maybe JABB 2, if it ever happens, will incorporate the technology developed for the Strad and we'll have a much more realistic library.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

JABB doesn't have velocity layers for solo instruments such as the brass and saxes. It uses filtering to change the sound. There is a limit to what can be accomplished with filtering. It works better with some instruments than others. Flex envelopes are used for the attack. The higher the velocity, the more attack. Lighter velocities will cause slower attacks. You may need to change your velocity curve to get more response to the attacks.

Many sample libraries have recorded multiple velocity layers such as p, mf, f, ff. The problem with this approach is that most of these libraries have noticable jumps from layer to layer. You cannot do crossfades with solo instruments as it causes doubling between the different velocity layers.

No library is perfect and I don't believe that traditional sample libraries will ever be able to pull off doing things such as crescendos and very expressive playing without other technology being used. The Garritan Strad and Cello libraries have gone beyond traditional sampling by aligning samples and morphing between them. This allows smooth crescendos as you don't hear the various sample layers. Unfortunately, this is also a very time consuming thing to program. There are other technologies such as the Wallander instruments that do everything virtually without using any samples but use modeling instead.

Stay tuned for other new technologies coming out this year!

Jim

I'm looking forward to it. With the new ARIA engine and all the bragging that's been going on, you've raised my expectations considerably. I already own the Wallander trumpets and really like them for the most part. I have to admit that I still know very little about tweaking the parameters, and Arne is in the process of writing a new player program with enhanced abilities over the current one, so at some point down the line, this will all get more interesting. For now, layering JABB trumpets on top of the Wallander section works really well along with just the right amount of reverb.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by landford
    Jabb 2????
    An assumption on my part - wishful thinking for an upgraded version that includes the newest technology developments. Purely speculation on my part. Sorry........
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Go Back to forum