• Register
  • Help

Topic: Giga Instrument editor tutorial

Giga Instrument editor tutorial

For you newbies to Giga (I am one of them). Here is a short tutorial on getting in and around the giga instrument editor. As each of us get better at \'tweaking\' we can share our ideas as King does.

Giga Tip: Getting Graphic In The Instrument Editor

For those of you who are familiar with the GigaStudio Instrument Editor, you know that it is an incredibly powerful tool not only for creating your own instruments, but for editing existing libraries. Some of you who may not have much \"trigger time\" in the IE may view the task of making simple adjustments as being quite a bit more daunting than it actually is.

When you open an instrument in the editor, you will see the regions, or groups of samples, represented by the vertical bars that are spread across and directly below the virtual keyboard. If you single click on any of the regions, you will be shown what \"Dimensions\" (velocity, keyswitching, note off, etc.) are included in that region in the lower center portion of the screen (look just below where it says \"velocity\" and you will see what samples are included in this selected region for example).

*Note. Make sure that you not only highlight the region you want to edit, but also the included velocity layers and/or any of the specific instruments that may be included in a keyswitched or layered instrument.

Just above the virtual keyboard, you will see two white triangles that hold the key to editing with the \"blue dots\". Start by single clicking on the white triangle on the left. This will drop down the parameters that can be graphically edited using this hidden little gem. For the sake of demonstration, choose Attenuation as the parameter to edit. You should now see a series of blue dots appear in the regions of the instrument. By single clicking on any one of these and dragging (you can do groups of regions or the entire instrument by clicking and holding the mouse and dragging across the regions you want to edit) you can now quickly adjust the volume of a single region, groups of regions, or the entire instrument in seconds. Try doing this same procedure with some of the other parameters.

The other white triangle (the one just to the right and above the virtual keyboard) drops down to expose three distinct ways that the blue dots function and work within the chosen parameter you want to adjust. Here is the run down on the differences:

Drag all selected regions: Allows you to drag the parameters of all the regions that are selected at once. When this mode is selected, dragging a value in one region causes all of the selected regions to change by the same amount.

Drag linear scaling. (Straight line interpolation) Allows you to drag all the settings at various angles across the keys. When this mode is selected, dragging a value in one region causes the other selected regions\' values to be scaled across the keyboard. If you drag the highest or lowest region in the selection, the region at the opposite end acts as an anchor, while the regions in between adjust themselves linearly between the two extremes. If you drag a region in the middle of the selected range, both endpoints act as anchors. (creating a pyramid shape)

Drag proportional scaling. Keeps settings proportionate to the distance from parameter that is being changed. When this mode is selected, dragging a value in one region causes the other selected regions to change in proportion to their proximity to the region you\'re dragging. (It\'s easier to see for yourself than it is to explain!) Use this mode to make subtle modifications to a keyboard scaling whose basic shape you don\'t want to disturb.

Using the sliding scale to the far right of the regions will allow you to zoom in and out for fine or course adjustments of the parameters you are editing using the \"blue dots\". All adjustments can be auditioned from a keyboard in real time once you let go of the blue dot you are adjusting. Happy editing!

Re: Giga Instrument editor tutorial

Awesome Rob,

Great Tips. The whole Blue Dots thing is something that people should definitely learn their way around. The different scaling options make it really easy to set up different \"calibrations\" of an instrument.

Really...I am an Idiot

Sorry everyone - just to be clear. I picked this tutorial up off the \"giga newsletter\" emailed to me recently. It has been very helpful to us newbies.

Dammit, I stopped getting those I used to get two of them. HAHAHA

Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum