• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KP2 & convolution

Share/Bookmark

KP2 & convolution

This has come up in the past, but still I don't know how.
    Using Overture and KP2. How to get convolution reverb on separate instruments?

Raymond

Re: KP2 & convolution

What exactly do you mean with 'seperately'?
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    What exactly do you mean with 'seperately'?
    Every instrument (or group of instruments) its own reverb setting.
    Now I have a bunch of KP2 players for a symphony. Not grouped according to a set up in an orchestra, but I can change that. Suppose there is one KP2 player for all violins, violas, celli and contrabasses. They are more or less at the same spatial spot. The woodwinds and brass are each on a different spot on the stage.

I want to tell the system (in Overture!!!) that I want a conv. reverb for the strings, a different one for the woods and etc...... I don't know how to assign conv. reverb at all in a KP2 player. Once I read something about loading the freestanding player, drag the convolution impuls to it and then... what? That is comes available for other KP2 instances in whatever program (Overture or Sonar or.....)

Clear? It is not my brightest day today, but still I'll manage

Raymond

On a slightly different topic, is it possible to use the convolutions with the KP2 VST? I can't seem to drag them in -- it keeps trying to drag the sample into the application that is hosting the VST, and not the VST itself.

It's not a big deal to load the reverb sample into another convolution VST, and route the KP2 output to that VST. But I am just wondering if there is a way to do it entirely with KP2 VST.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

There's a bug in the VST that prevents drag and drop of the files. Instead, load the standalone, drop in your reverb, and save it as a preset.

Raymond, try using the aux sends? The convolution reverb is available as an effect if you open the Outputs tab. You'll see four slots per channel.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    There's a bug in the VST that prevents drag and drop of the files.
    Right now I am fed up with bugs. I am copying the Symphonie en Ré mineur of César Franck. Up to now no problems. After lenghtening one note to the full length, the whole system refuses to playback after measure 13. The button for playback stays pressed, but nothing happens. This all happened in Overture, of which I regularly have Memory violations errors!!!!

Why can't people write programs that really work? This whole exercise just consumed a couple of days... and now, in vain.... I am really angry!!!!

But nevertheless, thank you for your comments.

Raymond

I'm kind of jumping in in the middle here, and I don't want to misdirect the thread, but, just to be clear, is convolution reverb only available in standalone mode and not VST mode? I've been looking for the "ambiance" or reverb controls and haven't been able to find them. I think I've clicked on every pixel on the interface and still haven't found it yet. Where is it?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Hey Paul,

Convolution is available in VST mode. Click on the outputs button, then click show inserts, and you'll see four dropdown effects slots. One option on the dropdown is convolution. What is not available in VST mode is the ability to import your own wav file for use as an impulse. You need to drag and drop it onto the waveform slot and save it as a preset in the standalone mode to use it in VST. But there are default impulses which will work off the bat.

Best,
    Reegs

As alluded to this overlaps with other threads, but here Raymond is step by step what you need to do, starting with simple idea of two instruments, in one KP2 player, each with its own convolution reverb which is what you are requesting. I have confined myself to exactly what you are requesting and choosing one method that you can achieve it - as always there is more than one way to do something!

1) open KP2 player in standalone mode (as alluded to before)
    2) open up convolution (which you know how to do)
    3) drag in a WAV file into the convolution window - you should see the graphic
    4) click on preset button to left of convolution window and SAVE the preset, give it a name you will remember eg 'MyBrassReverb' and save it in the directory that comes up when you press the save button.
    5) repeat steps 3 - 4 for as many convolutions as you want to save - you don't have to open new convolution windows at this point, just drag in, and save with a new name (eg 'MyStringReverb', 'MyWood')

Steps 1-5 have created new presets that you CAN now use within your App (overture), so now open Overture, load up ONE instance of KP2 player - use the one without _8 out, _16 out for now.

6) load up two instruments (eg a brass and a string).
    7) note the output for each of the two instruments will state ST.1 (look within the 'box' for each instrument for the word OUTPUT). Change the string to ST.2 by clicking on it the word 'ST.1' and choosing ST. 2 from the list that appears.
    8) click on OUTPUTS at the top of the KP2 player screen
    9) on the mixer that appeared underneath, under ST1 and ST2, choose convolution for each of the mixer channel using one of the drop downs above the fader
    10) click on one of the CU that has appeared on the mixer channel, and teh convolution window for that channel should appear above. Click on PRESET on left of that window. You should see the presets you saved in step 4/5 above in the list, choose the appropriate one for this channel.
    11) click on the CU on the next channel and this time choose the other preset that is appropriate.
    So far then you now have two instruments each with its own convolution reverb. If you have more instruments (eg more strings or more brass), then you just need to make sure ST1 or ST2 are chosen as output.

However you may not be able to yet hear the ST2 because it may be being routed to somewhere you are not monitoring. Depends on your soundcard and what you are trying to achieve, but perhaps the easiest way of getting to hear it is to (assuming you CAN hear ST1), click on Conf button at bottom of mixer for ST1, see what outputs it is connected to and make a mental note. Click on Conf button at bottom of mixer for ST2 and set the outputs to the same as ST1 (by clicking on the listed outputs and choosing the relevant outputs - note you will have to do it for both left and right channel so make sure mouse is in exactly the right place). As a result of doing all this, your brass and strings will then play through a single mixer channel in your app (if this is not what you want, there are further steps to take) but has different convolution reverbs which is your aim.

Now comes the slightly more complicated part - what if you want 4 different convolution reverbs? Well I would do this - again there are other ways this could be done:
    1) click add channel on the output mixer a few times (for as many new channels as you want).
    2) type in the top of each mixer (where it says <new>) ST3, ST4, ST5, etc
    3) route them all to the same output as ST1 (using CONF button as above)
    4) then for each new instrument you load up choose which of the ST outputs you want to send your instruments through and follow instructions above to load up an convolution for each.
    5) maybe save this as a MULTI so you can load it all up again later.
    6) if this is how you are going to work for a while, then maybe click 'make default' KP2 should load up your outputs like that in future I think but make sure all is working as hoped before you do that, else there will be another 'how do I get my outputs working again having followed Low's advice' thread appearing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hey Paul,

Convolution is available in VST mode. Click on the outputs button, then click show inserts, and you'll see four dropdown effects slots. One option on the dropdown is convolution. What is not available in VST mode is the ability to import your own wav file for use as an impulse. You need to drag and drop it onto the waveform slot and save it as a preset in the standalone mode to use it in VST. But there are default impulses which will work off the bat.

Best,
    Reegs
    Thanks Reegs!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum