• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: I'm glad I saw them when I had the chance...

Share/Bookmark

OT: I'm glad I saw them when I had the chance...

Figured I'd start a new topic. Out of all the shows you've seen, who were the most memorable or who are you glad you saw when you did.

For me:

Jethro Tull - Aqualung and Thick as a Brick tours

Guy Lombardo - He came to my Jr High and I worked on the stage crew

Frank Zappa - Saw him several times, twice with the live from NY band (Terri Bozzio, Adrian Belew, and Patrick O'hern). Fantastic band.

Edgar Winter's White Trash Band - Had a horn section. One of the best live acts I've seen at the time.

and finally,

Springsteen - At a small club in Atlanta (Richard's) in 1973. I paid $3 to get in, sat with my feet propped up on the stage. Incidentally, Springsteen wanted to be a Jazz musician back then. He wore a red blazer, black turtle neck, slacks and leather shoes back then. But still fantastic.

dave

Re: OT: I'm glad I saw them when I had the chance...

LED ZEPPELIN
    Knebworth Park, Hertfordshire, UK. 11th August 1979. This turned out to be their last ever gig (with all the members) in the UK

Roxy Music:

Two days before Virginia Plain was released, it cost 50 pence (about $1) to get in.

Gary Moore:
    Many many times and hopefully many moore Even more of a treat for me as I know his whole family (his brother used to work for me in my music shop)

Jeff Beck:

Royal Albert Hall, London

Kathleen Battle - I was in Berlin as a missionary, and some friends asked if I wanted to go to a concert of some Mozart orchestral music, played by the Berlin Youth Orchestra. Quite frankly the answer was no - I can't stand Mozart, and the idea of a very average orchestra plodding through it was excrutiating - but, for some reason I agreed. When we got there it turned out these friends hadn't actually got tickets, but were going to rely on buying them outside from people who wanted rid of theirs. So we did this, went inside and made our way to the orchestral hall. When we showed our tickets, though, I was told I was at the wrong entrance - in fact the wrong hall. It turned out I had just bought a ticket to hear Kathleen Battle with Roger Vignoles in the Chamber Hall. Best concert of my life (although a close call with some of the 'Sacres' I've been to). She was incredible - simply beyond belief, and the setting felt like being in a living room just hearing her perform impromptu for a few friends.

Placido Domingo, Back in Berlin, twelve years later, with a school band I had taken on tour. I'd organised to take them on a tour of the Philharmonic Hall. When we got there, though, the tour guide said he was very sorry, but these bookings are always subject to change, and a very important last minute rehearsal was going on. We teachers did our best to pretend our students would be heartbroken, mentioning how far they'd come, till the tour guide cracked, and said he would try sneaking us into the rehearsal, so long as we were silent. He didn't mention what was being rehearsed.

So we shuffled in, to find that we were yards from Placido Domingo and two other soloists, with a session accompanist, and Simon Rattle 'conducting' singing through Wagner. I was simply gobsmacked. Of course my students hadn't a clue what they had just seen. They were more concerned about whether we would still make it to McDonalds.

Phantom of the Opera - My first date with my now wife, I took her to Phantom. We were engaged two weeks later.

How could I forget this one:

The Who - 1970 or 71, just after the release of Live at Leeds. They did a show in Columbia, MD and it was a sellout with no advertising (just word of mouth). I went down there and the promoter just threw the gates open (it was an outdoor venue) and let everyone in free.

After a few numbers they were taking more and more time between songs. Finally, Daltry says "Oh F---- it, we're going to play Tommy". And Bam! right into it. Just the 4 of them and it was a great performance.

Peter Schickeles / PDQ Bach ... will probably never laugh so hard in a concert hall again

John Williams ... it's John Williams

Marriage of Figaro ... not the most lavish production of it, but it's the best opera yet written!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Nearly forgot

David Bowe:

On the Serious Moonlight tour at the Mlton Keynes Bowl in the UK. What a gig. I wasn't even a fan at the time. He completely blew me away. Excellent.

How could I forget that??

Saw a taping of Hardball with Matt Damon and Robert DeNiro... they seem even less real in person! Okay, that wasn't really a music thing... (And I'm not really that glad...)
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Saw a taping of Hardball with Matt Damon and Robert DeNiro... they seem even less real in person! Okay, that wasn't really a music thing... (And I'm not really that glad...)

hahahahaha

Keith Jarrett - San Diego - 1980

Eric Clapton/Santana - San Diego - 1978

Weather Report - Bloomington, IN - 1974

I had the opportunity to work for Tony Bennett about 25 years ago. Three piece rhythm section and string quartet. It's the rehearsals that were special. Six hours a day for ten days. He didn't take it easy because these were rehearsals, worked harder than anyone else. No ego, respected everyone for their talents. A true pro.

Also worked with The Blues Brothers around the same time. Though the music wasn't the same caliber as Bennett's, the rehearsals were very, very entertaining.

Jeff

Go Back to forum