• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Baritone Horn help, please

Share/Bookmark

Baritone Horn help, please

So I understand Baritone Horn can be written in either Treble or Bass clef...

Does one simply change the clef, or does Treble clef writing need to sound an octave lower than written? (i.e. change the clef, then transpose up an octave)

Cheers,

- Jonathan

Re: Baritone Horn help, please

Baritone in treble clef, is transposed up a major 9th from concert pitch. Same transposition as a tenor saxophone.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    Baritone in treble clef, is transposed up a major 9th from concert pitch. Same transposition as a tenor saxophone.

Jeff
    Got it, thanks, Jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner

Jeff
    Just points out the inconsitencies of transposing instruments! A baritone in the bass clef (though usually a Bb instrument) is in concert pitch, whereas the treble clef version is transposed the same way a Bb trumpet or cornet is. This is due to the fact that a lot of baritone players (like me a long time ago) that started on the trumpet and moved to baritone.

Keith W.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW
    Just points out the inconsitencies of transposing instruments! A baritone in the bass clef (though usually a Bb instrument) is in concert pitch, whereas the treble clef version is transposed the same way a Bb trumpet or cornet is.
    Isn't the tenor trombone the same?

Lightbulb Re: Baritone Horn help, please

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I think you only find Bb treble clef trombone parts in some European brass band formats (like the standard British brass band). The convention everywhere else is to write all trombone parts in bass clef at concert pitch.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Quote Originally Posted by GDG
    I think you only find Bb treble clef trombone parts in some European brass band formats (like the standard British brass band).
    That'll be why I'm confused. I live smack bang in the middle of brass band land. In fact my head of department is principal trombone with Fodens Brass Band. So I get all my brass know-how from banders. Thanks Grant.

I'm familiar with the baritone clef enigma, but this is the first I've heard of the trombone transposition. I've only seen them in C, using the tenor clef for the higher range.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Transposition is a way to avoid requiring players to read in various clefs like bass, alto, tenor, etc.
    All brass can be read in one clef bassed mostly on the OVERTONE SYSTEM. All valves work on a system of lowering an open pitch by half step(2), whole step(1) or step & a half(1 & 3). Four valves are simple math-1 + 3=4. You can think of every brass instrument's fingering the same way. All valve instruments can be read in any clef, but they sound in different octaves.
    Slide positions correspond to valve combinations:
    1st position= open 2nd positon=2nd 3rd position = 1st valve 4th position = 1& 2 5th position = 2 & 3
    6th position = 1 & 2 7th position = 1 + 2 + 3 .
    Write the baritone in bass clef & transpose up a second. Although it is read higher than it sounds, it sounds correctly. That's why it's called a transposing instrument in Treble clef.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Yes, the tenor trombone's fundamental (position one) is Bb. Some of them (like mine) also a have an "F" attachment to throw it into the key of F.

Keith W.

Go Back to forum